• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I hate how you can't rename traded Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
Years
  • Lol, I'm pretty sure someone out there who has my Vespiquen and Weavile is wishing for a name change. Most of my nicknames are lame, but I still do it because every Pokemon deserves to be called something other than its species name.I'm pretty sure those two people are hating "HoneyBuggy" and "Dark Ice". However, when people go around on GTS with names like "YOUR MOM" and something that should be censored, its annoying. The nickname/EV training predicament doesn't apply to me as I'm one of those people who don't EV train, but I'd gladly forget about any Pokemon that had a bad nickname. AS much as it'd pain me, I'd even release a rare event Pokemon like Manaphy if it had a very inappropriate nickname. If you ask me, the GTS should have that filter program that reverts any inappropriate nickname back to species name. I don't care how difficult it may be, its neccesary.

And with that, POW! I'm gone!

Burgers Rule

Garchomp want PIE NOW!
    Years
  • When you do Pal Park, it's very annoying to recieve a Pokemon with a horrible nickname, and what kind of fool nicknames a legendary. Also, I got a Japanese Weavile and I wish I could turn its name to English. It's sort of annoying.
    Another thought is if you could rename your trainer. If you give the game away, maybe the person wants a new name. Plus, I know people who nicknamed their trainer (and rival) words I'd get banned here for repeating...

Drakorn

[b][color=red]Skarmory is love[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I don't mind it. It prevents people nick naming it when you're not on your DS. That is my opinion anyways. I do understand the hating of the nicknames since you can't change it once it has been traded to you.

Years
  • In Johto I think, a man said that you can't change the name of traded Pokemons because it reflects the owner's feeling for that Pokemon. But yeah, Mimien is not a good name, and so's not Mahit.

deco11

Custom User Tile
    Years
  • the ingame nicknames are quite bad in my opinion.

i got an azelf called CREFFOLET, and a mesprit called CREFADET.
    i just like the species names.

i dont mind a piplup called PINGU but HAIRY the heracross annoys me

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Meh, I got a Lugia named 'Angasso', whatever that means... I don't mind, really, all it is is a dislpay name... It's not a crisis if you can't rename traded Pokemon...

It's also to stop theft, I think... If you were to steal your friend's game in the olden days of B/R/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E, you could trade your friend's Pokemon to your game, and without a nickname there would no proof that you took it.

deco11

Custom User Tile
    Years
  • yeah but it changes the OT to ? ? ? ? ? i think.

but it really doesnt matter that much to me.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • A Pokémon's nickname is a reflection of the OT who nicknamed it/him/her. So if you have a Blissey nicknamed "Obesity", the OT either had a sick sense of humor, or was completely stupid.
    Well, I wouldn't be as bold to say a "sick" sense of humor. It's a game. They don't take it as seriously. Stupid sense of humor, maybe. Immature would be a better word.

And since it's not your Pokémon, you have no right to give it/him/her a new nickname.

Not my pokemon? No right? It's a game! Not real life. Just bits of data. I enjoy nicknaming my pokes. When I got a great Miltank from Samson, I was upset to realize I couldn't rename it, as it was on my original team.

In that case, you should really tell Ninty that, and there's also no need to exaggerate.
    She wasn't really exaggerating. That's something that eats up at a person.
    Nicknaming is stupid, in my opinion. I only do it when I have really nothing better to do, and if I feel creative.

I mean, it's just dang names. What purpose do they really serve other than the proper identification of (pokemon here)?

If you got a pokemon that's nicknamed off the GTS, then there's the simple thing of rebreeding it and training it again. It's not hard, really. D:

If it's legends, with the exception of manaphy I suppose, then you're on your own, I guess.

I enjoy nicknaming. It isn't so hard to allow me to nickname traded pokes.

Besides, not everyone likes breeding. Or is able too. That Miltank I have has Ice Punch.I can't pass that off in breeding. & They shouldn't have to breed. They paid their 30-something dollars just like everyone else.

Aww I think you're all over reacting. The fact that you can actually trade with people around the world makes up for the fact that you can't nickname the pokemon.

Not at all. That wasn't a great feature- it's one that they NEEDED to add. They dang well better give us wifi. Or else it isn't really worth buying. And this isn't a hard feature to make, renaming traded pokes. It was just an oversight.

As an example, if you adopted a child and didn't like its name would you call it pete?
    I think its to show pokemon get have already been given a name and wouldn't like a new one. They are a bit smarter than regular animals.

Once again, it is a game. You cannot compare it with an actual adoptive child. It's a video game that cost around $30, that I can return for Gamebucks when I'm bored. No, they are not smarter, since it is a game..

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2009
    I have a manaphy that was traded over gts. It's nickname was NERD!!!! I can't breed another manaphy either since it will end up a phione. Stupid immature kids...

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I have a manaphy that was traded over gts. It's nickname was NERD!!!! I can't breed another manaphy either since it will end up a phione. Stupid immature kids...
    Yo Helrazor, I notice your new, might want to go check out the Community Rules. You're not allowed to revive topics that are over a month old~

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back