• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I. HATE. THIS. COMPUTER.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    What sort of computer problems have you had? How often do you have them? Do you try to fix them yourself, or pay a computer shop to sort it out for you? What's the worst that's ever happened?

I'm saying this because my laptop's charger is being realllllly annoying with loose connections and all that. That's the worst problem I've ever had, though, and I managed to fix it myself with a little bit of solder and some tape just now!

edit: eh this probably belongs in C&T. If a mod could move it, that'd be great. x)

Last edited:

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
    I've actually had pretty good luck with all of my computers. I don't know if it's just because I use Macs instead of Windows or if I take good care of them, probably a combination of both. The worst that's ever happened was a hard drive failure (and that was after I had gotten a new computer). The people at the repair shop told me that the hard drive should have been replaced years ago, so I guess it was my fault :P

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    What sort of computer problems have you had?
    I've had anything from computers crashing, motherboards frying, hard drives going bad, disc drives and sound magically not working, being hacked, viruses, the screen magically unscrewing itself on one side of the hinge on my HP Netbook, and so on.
    How often do you have them?
    Every few months, maybe 7 months or so would be a good average..
    Do you try to fix them yourself, or pay a computer shop to sort it out for you?
    My brother is a computer technician. I get free repairs assuming I don't have to buy any parts. But I know enough myself to fix minor issues that come along such as viruses, hard drives going bad, and so on.
    What's the worst that's ever happened?
    A capacitor blew out on my motherboard so my computer wouldn't boot past the motherboard screen. We thought it was because it was overheating, I got a new fan and added another new one that didn't work. I got a new HDD for Christmas hoping that would fix it and it didn't. My brother got me a new power supply and that didn't work. We looked at the computer and saw that the top of one of the capacitors was slightly brown so we replaced the motherboard and it worked fine. The new power supply doesn't fit into my case because the maker of it was an idiot and made all the cords short. My case is missing a side now so it can hang out, and I am using it as a foot rest for my right foot.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've yet to experience any problems from my laptop after having got it last year. The worse that's happened was a browser crash or two. The computer itself runs like a charm. The same could not have been said for my former desktop, which gave me problems for years since the point of purchase. Needless to say, I've moved on from the discomfort of my desktop to better things!

Years
    I have a 6 year old laptop.
    It does some weird things...
    Twice this week, it froze up and disconnected me from everything... randomly.
    I wasn't doing anything.

Also, it beeps sometimes. It started doing that this year. Reinstalling Windows doesn't get rid of that.

Also, the lock screen is very slow at times. It takes like... 30 seconds just to type the password in..
    After entering the password, I see what was on the screen when I left for a few seconds, and I can't do anything.
    It's crazy. The computer is clean. I haven't had a virus for years.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Every morning when I turn it on it freezes so I want to smash it. Then it starts to work again. It's slow in the morning but gets faster in the afternoon.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    My first laptop gave me a BSOD on the day I got it, and continued to do so for the next two years no matter how many re-formats we did. It was most likely faulty but I didn't tell anybody that first time because I was 15 and so frikkin' excited to finally have a laptop that I didn't want anything coming between me and it lol.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I corrupted the boot sector of my current computer, once. Being reasonably savvy and having actually read what the stop error said, I just rewrote it using the OS disc.
    That's the worst repairable (by anyone) problem I've encountered and it took about an hour to fix.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Virii, optical drives breaking, sound/video card's not working, powersupply frying ME, powersupply going boom.

These are all issues that have happened in the past. I haven't had anything go wrong for a year, but virii is the most common issue. sound/vid card wasn't a serious problem, I just forgot about the drivers.

As for optical drives, I usually have to replace mine every two years. Either the gears get jammed up or it stops burning cd's/dvd's.

I fix them myself now, but I took my older computer (about 6 years ago) to Bestbuy's computer repair place... $150 and it still wouldn't work. Took it to a friend of ours, $20 and it worked fine. Thje problem? The ram was loose.

We paid with credit card for BB and later had the credit card company pull the payment since they didn't so anything.

After that the only time i've visited a computer repair place was to buy parts.

The powersupply from my old computer burst into flames and fried the whole computer. I didn't care much since I was planning on getting a new computer anyway.

And by my idiocy, I opened up a psu to clean it and I got a nice shock for my efforts. Couldn't move my arm for a hour after that.

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
    I don't think I've ever had any computer problems except for the occasional virus, which usually my security system will catch. I've been pretty lucky.

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
    Years
    Eh you think you got it bad? >.> My ONLY good laptops hard drive went to hell in a row boat and I'm on my four year old laptop, it overheats constantly and the charger is pretty much broken and has to be adjusted every two minutes so it continues to charger >.> also I can't play final fantasy 7 8 or 9 well on emulator on this thing with it's lame specs nor can I play anything better in graphics -.-

I try to fix comp problems myself this same computer crashed about two years ago and It took me two years to get a means to even fix the problem, (had to install a whole new operating system) and every laptop I get seems to go the same way e-o and I'm no newbie I take care of my computers well it's like the dang things are hard wired to die after two years and if you're LUCKY can be fixed in another two >.> things just aren't as sturdy as they used to be :/ and idk about the rest of you but I don't have the money to be replacing computers every 2 or so years >.>

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    My computer just loves to blue screen every so often when I'm playing TF2. Actually no, rephrase. It likes to do it when I'm running one program sometimes too. Even just a simple java program.

It also loves to have all this stupid crap on the side that takes up valuable memory space.

It also only has 2 GB OF RAM.

It also doesn't have a working hinge and is a failtop.

Don't worry, I'm going to get a new one within a few years.

Years
    Recently, my Windows 7 laptop has started being slow for no apparent reason.. it shows a black screen at startup and then while its booted up, explorer.exe runs EXTREMELY slow... >.> And for a while it has been randomly BSOD'ing whenever I have XChat-WDK open on it..

Guest123_x1

Hardware components failing, software crashing, file corruption, lockups (especially on my older machines), all sorts of other things

Every once in awhile, completely at random.

I fix all my computer problems if I can. (I am A+ certified, since November 2004)

A lot of worst-case scenarios have happened to me (see below)

I had a new system my family bought for me in the summer of 2002. Needless to say, most of the hardware components failed on it over time, and I had to replace each myself. Those included the processor, memory modules, motherboard, hard drive, and the power supply! I am no longer using that system as my primary system, but as an experimental machine, since nearly everything on it changed.

Also, when fixing software issues on other people's computers (usually those that have been infested with spyware and viruses), many times the systems have been screwed up so bad it either took me days to do, or I had to back up their files and reformat and reinstall everything (usually using the restore discs that came with their computers). (I know, you'll probably tell me I should've used System Restore, but using that hardly ever works out most of the time.)

The desktop computer that I currently use most of the time is from early 2002, (I got it from my dad in 2008, who was running a convenience store at the time, and had put in one of his systems to run the store with instead of the one I ended up getting, which was previously used in the store) and as such, is clearly showing its age. I have upgraded a few components on it (the optical drives, by replacing the DVD-ROM drive that wasn't working properly with a DVD±RW burner, and replacing the original CD-RW drive with a spare DVD-ROM drive I had) I'm hoping to get a new computer soon. Because of this, I have been using my laptop (my most recent machine, from 2008) more often.

Last edited:

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
    Well, that's hard to say because my current computer has problems at least twice a day! It's a 3 year old, Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit OS, with a AMD Sempron 2500+ computer.
    As said above, at least twice a day!
    I try to fix them myself and if it doesn't work I reboot.
    This computer crashing fully and having to pay $200 at Comp USA to get it fixed.

GlaceonX

-Glomps- Hii everybody
    Years

Ram issues, CPU issues, HDD issues, mobo issues, psu. . . . Well pretty much everything o-o

Haven't had a single problem with ANY of my PCs. . . Well actually, I have 1 problem but it's cuz' of Windows 8, even though based on Windows 7s kernel. . . Some programs just refuse to run >> it's my own fault though, I could easily just format to Win7 again and all my issues would be gone.

Myself, I'm never trusting PC shops for anything else than buying parts.

Ummm. . . .I guess worst thing that happened was the PCI WiFi card blowing a head gasket on me and FFFF my bios up on the previous mobo of my desktop xD

Wierdest thing EVER, PC would post but it got stuck on post screen plus all the letters where scattered across the screen. . . Epic, just epic lol, but ASrock prooved it's durability and after a few CLRCMOS I fixed it! Yay! xP

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    My current computer has BSOD's sometimes when waking it up from hibernation mode. There's also an issue with the headphone jack where the connection is loose and the sound ends up coming out of only one side and/or is at low volume and muffled.

My last computer suffered a broken screen, a missing "N" key, and eventually died when the cooling fan died.

Machu Pichu

oddsoul.
    Years
    Well, being all computer savvy and whatnot, any problems I have, I can usually fix within a couple of hours, since I make backups of my whole hard drive every now and then so that, if I screw up something, I can just flash it back to what it was like before.

The worst thing that has happened to me, though, would be when lightning struck my house and completely fried my power supply. I lost my CD-Drive, one of my 2 hard drives, and it caused errors with my graphics card, which would cause BSOD if I did not log in with Safe Mode. Luckily, out of nowhere, and with a little fighting with it, it kinda fixed itself. That sure was lucky, because I really didn't want to shovel out another $200 for another graphics card >.>

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'm having occasion lock ups on my netbook (main pc) with the computer display a random colour. Once, it showed some weird psychedelic patten. It hasn't happened for a long time though, so I think that it's been resolved.

Apart from that, I've experienced BSOD's on my gaming laptop, freezes using many apps when on my netbook (1GB of RAM) and compatibility issues.

Back