• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I just realized - The alola pokedex only has 302 entries even though there are over 800 pokemon. Why is this? Will the missing ones be updated in?

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2018
    So I just realized something - the alola pokedex only has 300 something entries. And when I looked at the pokemon locations online, the ones that aren't on the alola pokedex don't have any locations listed. Why is this? Are they just not released yet and will be in future updates. Or, similar to how some pokemon have alola forms, the pokemon just don't exist in alola and can't be gotten in this game?

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2018
    It is over 800 Pokemon. The total number of Pokemon added counting Gen VII is 802. That's is over 800 Pokemon.

I know. but the alola dex doesn't have 500 of them and don't have any locations in the game supposdly.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2018
    There is no National Pokedex in SM. The 302 that you see is what you get (barring QR Code Pokemon, who dont even get their own dex entries anyway).

Yea, that's the point of the question. How come you can't get the other 500?

Years
  • As Colours said, the National Dex doesn't exist. This is also the reason why the method for obtaining the Shiny Charm was changed to catch all Pokemon in the Alola Pokedex as opposed to the National Dex of previous games.

Hopefully the Pokemon Bank update next month is what holds our National Dex, but I think Game Freak definitely made a huge mistake with this generation with this, because locking out the National Dex feels so wrong.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You typically can't naturally catch every single Pokemon in existence in a single pair of games, as it would be weird for every single known species to somehow all live together in the same region, kinda like irl.

The other 500ish Pokemon will only be obtainable via transfer from past generations via PokeBank, which is supposed to be made available for Sun/Moon sometime next month.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    It will be too hard to complete the national pokedex so they made Alolan Pokedex completion for the shiny charm. Gamefreak made it easier for the shiny charm. The other 500 pokemons is just going to be for competitive battles.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    But where is Greninja's update ? Doesn't Ash-Greninja get transfer to Pokemon Sun and Moon ?

Years
  • But where is Greninja's update ? Doesn't Ash-Greninja get transfer to Pokemon Sun and Moon ?

Greninja is not in the Alola Dex so it doesn't get a Dex entry until the National Dex update that comes with Pokemon Bank is released next month. Same goes for all the Island Scan Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Not having the national dex in-game is one of the main things that bothers me about this generation. It doesn't feel right.

I can understand changing the shiny charm requirement to just catching the 300 Alolan Pokemon but I don't see why that would mean they couldn't still include the national dex. (are they afraid that including it will make people feel like they HAVE to complete it?)

Also, 300 Pokemon made the options for Pokemon seem a little more sparse than in X & Y (which had 450 I think) and it felt like Pokemon were repeated a bit too often. It helped that the selection of new Pokemon were (IMO) really strong so it wasn't as jarring as it could have been.

I was just thinking that the post game option that let you visit an alternate universe to obtain Cosmog really missed a trick by not making brand new Pokemon appear in the alternate universe. That would have been so cool.

I hope that Stars (or whatever the next game is if it's set in Alola) will add another 200-300 Pokemon to the regional dex. (or do what I mentioned previously and have an "alternate Alola" with different Pokemon that you can travel to through an Ultra Wormhole in the post-game)

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • They did a similar thing with XY, then ORAS came along and made all of the Hoenn Pokémon (and more) available to transfer between both versions. While it would be ideal to have them all accessible in the one game, I don't think it would be feasible which is why they haven't gone ahead with it.

I'm pretty sure that whatever the next games may be will alleviate this issue by making the large portion of unavailable Pokémon in Alola available to trade over. We've also got Pokémon Bank coming next month as others have said which will once again help towards fixing this up.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
  • Am I the only one happy that there are 300 Pokemon in Alola versus 450 in Kalos?

These won't be the only games this Gen. In the last Gen, X & Y had 450, then with ORAS you were able to catch the remaining ones barring mythicals (which were all available as events last Gen). We're a month and a half into Gen 7, have patience fellow Trainers. More is coming.

Last edited:

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • It's probably coming with the Pokemon Bank update. It seems kind of pointless for there to be a national dex at all if very few new areas open up after becoming champion (and thus, leading to no Pokemon not normally found in Alola.) So, it makes sense to patch in the national dex when Pokemon bank gets updated (even though that sounds like something Game Freak would be reluctant to do...)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Speaking of which, I think they should release the patch so that even Sun and Moon have the National Pokédex at the time Pokébank update is released, because I think not everyone have direct access to Pokébank, and I think it's not fair to just having people who can download Pokébank have all the fun. Even though I'm on these guys who get Pokébank, but still, the small update for the National Dex expansion in Sun and Moon is possible if Game Freak are willing to do it.

And speaking of which, the updated Pokébank will fill in the missing Pokémon most of the time, and who knows, we might get some remakes in the making, or even the sequel to bring another Pokémon, because this is still the early months of Gen VII era, after all.

Back