• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I pick the Fire-type.. again!

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I always pick my favorite starter for my first play through; I'll end up using all three eventually. My favorites at the time of release does usually seem to be the fire starter though. I honestly don't remember which was my initial favorite in Kanto because I've played those games so many times.. but for Johto it was Cyndaquil, Hoenn Torchic, Sinnoh Chimchar, Unova Oshawott, and Kalos Chespin. I haven't liked the recent fire starters though, so the trend of mostly fire-types seems to be changing.

Years
  • In Kanto, I chose Bulbasaur, but for my next few runs, I chose Charmander. In Johto, I chose Cyndaquil, and in Hoenn, I originally picked Mudkip, but have played with the other two numerous times in other save files. Sinnoh was difficult for me because I liked all three, but I chose Chimchar. Once Unova rolled around and everyone was caught up in the Snivy hype, I picked Oshawott, and then in Kalos, I had phases were I preferred each one, until Greninja was announced, and solidified Froakie as my choice. By those facts, I guess one could say I have a slight preference for fire types, but I honestly find myself liking all three starters more occasions than not. n__n;

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • From Gen 1 to Gen 5 I have always picked the Grass type (with the exception of Gen 2; I picked Cyndaquil). They're cool, easy to train, and become really powerful tanks later on in the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    There is actually a distinct strategic benefit to picking the Fire type starter, believe it or not. And that is that it is one of the best ways to actually guarantee having a powerful Fire type on your team. Water types and Grass types are both much more abundant in the wild than Fire types, with Water and Grass being the first and fourth most common types overall, respectively, while Fire is the eighth most common. So, basically there are many more options to choose from when deciding on a wild Water or Grass type to catch for your team than there would be for a wild Fire type in a given region.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I lean towards the Water starter because of favorable experiences with Mudkip in my first play through of Sapphire. That, and I can use it as a Surfer right away without having to find another Pokemon suitable for the job first.

Ragna

I feel asleep!!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2014
    Well, in every generation, I always choose the one I like the most.

Gen 1 - Squirtle
    Gen 2 - Cyndaquil
    Gen 3 - Treecko
    Gen 4 - Turtwig
    Gen 5 - Tepig
    Gen 6 - Froakie

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I'm pretty even when it comes to starters

Gen 1: Red: Charmander, Blue: Squirtle
    Gen 2: Silver: Totodile, Crystal: Typhlosion
    Gen 3: Sapphire: Treeco, Firered: Charmander
    Gen 5: Black 2: Snivy
    Gen 6: Y: Fennekin(I chose Squirtle for the Kanto starters)

Years
  • Generally I try to rotate between types when picking a starter for the first time, but thinking about it a little more, I realized that Aqua Sapphire will be the 5th straight game where I don't pick a Fire starter, and the third straight time I pick a Grass type (Piplup in Platinum, Oshawott in White, Snivy in White 2, Chespin in Y, Treecko in Aqua Sapphire). There's honestly no real reason why I've avoided Fire types or migrated towards Grass type starters as of late, but it's interesting to see that pattern nonetheless.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • My favorite type is Fire, so i lean towards it. But, in ceratin gens, by ceratin i mean 3,5,6 i liked other types better: In 3 and 5 they were Treecko and Snivy, and ingen 6 i like Froakie way better than the others. Doesn't mean i hate on the fire-types now: Blaziken and Delphox are great pokemon! But Emboar..no. Just, just no.

VividSpaceRain

Living on the moon.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2014
    It doesn't really bother me at all about the type I just choose the one I think looks the best.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I don't really like Grass type pokemon.. that's just not my type... But almost all of my starter are grass! In fact, they are almost the only grass type I like.

Originally, I choosed..
    Kanto --> I was young, I don't really remember... My brother got me an emulator on our computer so I did a lot of games... a lot.. so I choosed every starter. I think my very first was Charmander, but it might have been Bulbasaur too...
    Johto --> Chickorita
    Hoenn-->Torchic
    Sinnoh-->turtwig
    Unova-->snivy
    Kalos-->chespin

Now my favorite starters are..
    Squirtle
    totodile (but the Gen2 was my fav', I do like all the starters equaly)
    Treecko
    turtwig
    oshawott and snivy equaly
    chespin

Zapdos86

BURD! BURD! BURD!
    Years
  • I wouldn't say I pick starters based on types, but based on stats and designs. Like for Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, I plan on picking Treecko because they changed his types, he has a good ability, and his Mega Evolution form looks BA. Not to mention his stats will hopefully be pretty good, since he looks like he is ready for speed.

Girl

04/07/14
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2014
    Why? Do you tend to like the fire-types' designs more, or because you like the type itself, or like some others you will pick it regardless due to tradition?

Actually, I didn't realise that I've consistently used fire starters on my first playthroughs until I posted on this thread. Now I may have to continue this as a tradition.

Anyway, apart from Tepig (which I chose because I wasn't a fan of the other options), I've been attracted to the designs of all the fire starters (I've only played up to Gen V). I play through games multiple times (different cartridges) or simply trade if the other starters are appealing (for generations I - III, I find all the starters to be very attractive).

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • I tend to lean towards the Water type starter, since Water is my favorite type. However, sometimes I make an exception.

Kanto- Squirlte
    Johto- Totodile
    Hoenn- Mudkip
    Sinnoh- Haven't played a Sinnoh game, but I would go with Piplup
    Unova- Oshawott
    Kalos- Froakie

Guess that wasn't necessary, but sometimes I do stray and pick the Fire type starter. For example, Charmander and Cyndaquil.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I've picked the grass type more times than I've picked the others. I do like Grass types.... most of the time.

Gen 1: Grass
    Gen 2: Grass
    Gen 3: Grass
    Gen 4: Water
    Gen 5: Fire
    Gen 6: Water

Thing is, some of the 3rd games (Emerald, Platinum, B/W2) I've chose Grass in them.

Years
  • Count me in among those who've always just picked whichever ones they liked the most, although I do have more of a preference for Grass-types than the average Pokemon fan. The first I ever picked in each gen:
    1. Charmander
    2. Chikorita
    3. Torchic
    4. Piplup
    5. Snivy
    6. Chespin

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Generally, I think I mostly go with Fire starters. It was kind of a tradition created from a childhood misconception - when I was a kid, Fire just seemed like the strongest element to me. :P

And as I grew older and learned that wasn't quite the case, I mostly chose my starters based on how much I liked their design. Often, I still lean towards the Fire starters.

Back