• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Idea: Spriting Duels - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

[NovaPirate]

And the rest went riding on.
Years
  • Oh yes, i forgot about that. I would be in a quite horrid mood if I was drawing roses against a florist.

Well, it seems like a good idea. Can't say I contributed to it, but I'm sure this place'll benefit. Thanks:

Signomi, Esupio, Kaku, Dreamweever, Avaitor Maz, and the rest of you jolly good lot.

And definately Amachi. Who has avoided a nice game of tic-tac-toe.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    And those set of rules would do nicely. Thanks Matt. ^^

And that's exactly why you should vote Matt for Prime Minister in 2014

Of course both contestants would have to agree to it, same as anything. If you don;t like the theme then you can always say no to the challenger, or ask them to change it.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Glad to hear it ^_^b

See?, if one member who doesn't really sprite much is interested, imaging how many more could be, with the right attitude and decent publicity I reckon it could be big.

Years
  • Indeed. Also, an idea popped to my head earlier.

I was looking at the Artravaganza thread in the Art Gallery forum and thought it would be a good idea to rather stick to one whole thread for Spriting Duels rather than constantly making threads for each duel. That way we can keep an archive that we can look back at, plus there would be more flow of discussion, no more "I don't know where the discussion thread is so I posted in the other thread" and so forth.

Presenting entries and discussing the duel statistics in the same thread. Members are even allowed to suggest categories if both contestants are unsure of what they want to do. The thread title will be modified every time a new duel starts, same thing goes for polls.

If the thread gets too big over periods of time, then we can simply close that and start another. We do have to think about PC's Database as well, we don't want to keep many threads that weigh enough to pull it down.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I was thinking of an discussion/challenge thread and an entry thread, sorta like the contests. that way it'd be easier to look back on entries instead of going through piles of chat and whatnot.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • I'm definitely interested in getting this going. I have some concern with people staying dedicated, but at the moment it seems as if there is plenty of support. I'm also concerned that the whole thing could lead to some flaming, but as long as the rules are made clear from the get go I think we should be fine. All in all, I think it's worth taking a risk on this not working out. The Pixel Art section is in need of a breath of fresh air, and this could be it. I'm willing to help out in any way.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    But what happens if multiple people want to duel at a time? *Tries not to be pessimistic*

Then they can, I never once said they had to be one on one, they could be two on two aswell, I don;t see why more than one duel going on at a time would be a concern.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    All thanks to a little discussion from an idea I ahd that i honestly never thought would take off XD

But seriously, I can't wait to see this in action!

Years
  • I was thinking of an discussion/challenge thread and an entry thread, sorta like the contests. that way it'd be easier to look back on entries instead of going through piles of chat and whatnot.

I suppose a seperate thread for entries wouldn't be bad.

But I'll have no go on a seperate thread on challenges, so nobody even think about suggesting it! >:O

But what happens if multiple people want to duel at a time? *Tries not to be pessimistic*

Good question, perhaps an all out tournament would be much better? o.o

I'm definitely interested in getting this going. I have some concern with people staying dedicated, but at the moment it seems as if there is plenty of support. I'm also concerned that the whole thing could lead to some flaming, but as long as the rules are made clear from the get go I think we should be fine. All in all, I think it's worth taking a risk on this not working out. The Pixel Art section is in need of a breath of fresh air, and this could be it. I'm willing to help out in any way.

Well it all depends on how the idea flows when it starts, really. The Pixel Art sub-forum has been lacking a lot of activity through the months and I'm sure people have come to boredom. And of course there shall be a rule stating that members shouldn't be vulgar to others, there are other ways of talking your way out of annoyance. ;/

Glad you're willing to support us. :3

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    An all out tourny would be too similar to a sprite contest. To be honest it wouldn;t be hard to run multiple duels all at once, trust me on this one.

Years
  • Considering it was my idea I'd be 100% dedicated, I think Esupio would aswell.

I still stick with my judging idea, appointing three judges per duel.

He got that right.

Your judging idea would be good, but the thing is, if the duels did take off,you'd need an awful lot of judges

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Not as such, 9 dedicated judges would be enough in my eyes, someone picks three of them at random for each duel, simple.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I personally think we only need members to vote, instead of having to set a team of judges for each duel, or even a panel of regular judges. Cause like Esupio said, you would need a lot of judges.

But yeah, I don't think either Signomi or myself want a separate thread for each duel, so there's the problem with member's voting. Especially since I'd like to contain it all within one thread.

So I'd prefer member's votes to decide upon the results of each duel, with the option of recruiting your own judges if desired. But if there seems to be more support for the judges, which would definitely be easier to pull off then having everyone vote, then I don't mind either.

And just so we make it clear, the thread starter was decided with a simple coin toss XDD;

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    As I said, try to avoid favoritism as much as possible, the more popular members will always win if we leave it as public voting. There's also the fact many members here seem far from capable at judging/giving decent criticism.
    I never meant a thread per duel, what I meant was two threads, one for entries, the other for challenges, discussions, winner announcements etc.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Yeah, popularity could become an issue in that case :/

As for giving crit, as great as it is to receive, I think the member's giving a simple reason as to why they vote for the particular entry will be enough. But judges would be easier to maintain.

Yesh I understood that, which is why I mentioned that having the members vote would raise an issue with the thread (or something along those lines XP) I was always assuming that were gonna have two threads anyway :>

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Even so, many members are too lenient with their comments, saying that everything is great, we really need firm but fair judges who know hat they're talking about. I'd gladly judge, and participate on a regular basis.

dreemxweever

Full fledged auto mechanic
    Years
    • Age 31
    • U.S.
    • Seen May 3, 2010
    i agree with Kaku all the way on that one. As I've said before in the sprite discussion thread, if we let the public vote then there will be all sorts of skill levels voting.
    From newbs to people who have a bajillion posts, i would assume that the second one would be a better choice, unless of course a newb that just joined pokecommunity has extreme experience in judging and C+C. I don't know, it's kind of hard to tell which idea would be better, but personally I'm sticking with Kaku on this one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back