• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If it wasn't from Japan...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    ...would you still watch anime? I mean, if Yu-Gi-Oh was originally thought up by some Canadian dude, would people still watch it? And for all other Japanese anime, would you still watch it if you'd found out it wasn't really Japanese?

I'm asking this because there are a fair number of cartoons that are like anime, but don't get the attention that other ones do (not just on this board, but over the internet) because they're not anime, and are seemingly of some lesser quality or something.

Keitaro

Urashima
    Years
    Well I can?t speak for everyone but for myself at least, I never really cared about anime being dubbed or subtitled just as long as it was on type deal or if I got a chance to watch it, I was thankful for that. And same situation with this, I?m not prejudice on the situation I mean Canada has an anime out called ?Martin Mystery? but I don?t watch it for the fact that I just don?t like the plot on it type deal. The Japanese have always had a knack at doing what they do, if America or Canada or where ever releases a good anime I?d watch it definitely but if it?s trash well I won?t be much of a fan obviously.

Years
    To me, Anime is Anime...I watch what I like, I don't care where it comes from. I mean if Hellsing suddenly turned American...I wouldn't care...I like it so I watch it.

I mean, take Teen Titans, thats not J Anime, but I still love it.

Years
    Eh. I don't care where anything's from, as long as it interests me. :/ If I find a good anime (or anime-like) show, and I liked it, I wouldn't stop liking it just because it's not from a certain country...that's just silly to do so.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Well, technically, it wouldn't even be called "anime" in the first place coz it is a japanese word! I think...

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I porbibly wouldnt watch it as much take Samurai Champloo for example. It would be cool if the suddenly wore T-shirts and Jeans, but it wouldnt be the same! Picture Inuyasha in suspenders! EW!!!

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Anime would be far less rich if it weren't Japanese. I believe that the main thing, art aside, that draws many people to anime is the fact that it is rooted in a vastly different culture. If not for the Japanese aspect of anime, we would be lacking the entire historical genre, anything that is rooted in Japanese folktales or myths, and every single cultural reference and artistic idiosyncracy realating to Japan.

I'm by no means an anime expert, so I'm just going to let someone who agrees with me and has far better speaking abilities, examples to back up their statement, and things like that expand on what I've said. I'm only a casual anime viewer so I pretty much can't go any farther than a three-sentence outline of what I think <_<;

Anacortes

absurdities..
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Of course I would. It dosen't matter which country it's from, only what it is. If it's good, than yes. If it's not, I wouldn't watch it even if it was Japanese.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    no ._. i wouldn't watch it at all..

i find that American anime has it's own type of style.. and it doesnt really look like true anime from Japan.. it has it's own sort of characteristics...

i dont like it at all .__. it just annoys me..
    unless the art actually LOOKS like true anime.. i wont watch it.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    No, I wouldn't watch it. If you call it 'anime' that would be like being a wannabe show....anime is a japanese word! Other types of anime like shows just don't have the same style that Japanese anime does.....I can't really explain it...

Ok. let's talk Megas-XLR. Was it trying to be anime with the robots and future girl thing??? I really don't know...it's confusing....it's rather embarassing x_x.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    obelisk-kun said:
    you're putting that mildly that show stupid way to stupid for words
    It was fdlknf;l asjdlkfjdfsmc0ei[p just because I cant think of any words XD

(spam alarm sounds) That's my bell, gatta run!

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Yes, of course I'd still watch it. I didn't even know most animes came from Japan until like last year
    and I kind of wish more animes were made in America. I think we should have traditional American stuff like the myths and the legends and the historic events like the Salem witch trial. I mean how many animes have real traditional witches in them?

Years
    Crystal Clair said:
    Yes, of course I'd still watch it. I didn't even know most animes came from Japan until like last year
    and I kind of wish more animes were made in America. I think we should have traditional American stuff like the myths and the legends and the historic events like the Salem witch trial. I mean how many animes have real traditional witches in them?
    America doesn't really have that many myths and legends, unless you're referring to native or aztec heritage.

Anyway, I can't really comment on whether or not I'd still watch it. Anime has a certain charm that just compels me to watch.

Back