• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you had proof that God does not exist, would you publish your findings?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    No. I believe in God. And I know that having spiritual belief can really help a lot of people in their personal lives.

Years
    Yeah, I probably would publish my findings. I would definitely put a big disclaimer on the book, though. But being areligious (read: not atheist or agnostic), the conclusion as to whether any god(s) existence is negligible to me. So I guess the reverse would also play out. I would also publish a book that proves the existence of any diety.

And yes, areligion does happen. It's the inability to understand religion.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I find it funny that atheists use the same reasoning to support their religion that they use to rebute the Christian religion: the absence of evidence.

They claim it is no good believing in something that can't be proven yet they state God doesn't exist as if it was a proven fact.

As far as I know, science and court work this way: you prove x is real/works that way and give evidence to support that. Until you prove something is real, that thing never happened. But the issue is, since nobody has given an objective evidence of god's existence that doesn't require a religious faith nor can be explained in some other way, then there is no evidence to debunk.

You say "absence of evidence". Since there is no evidence, how are we supposed to prove that the evicence proving god's existence is fake?

Right now I can think you have murdered 10 people/god exists. But, since there is absence of evidence, I can't prove the murders are real/god exists. You don't have to prove that the murders are fake/god doesn't exist. So you can claim you didn't murder anybody/god doesn't exists as a fact until somebody shows evidence saying otherwise.

Atheism: Imagine you're falling into a pit of lava, then someone comes and says "grab my hand if you want to live!" and you say " NEVER! i don't believe in you!"

Fun fact: if somebody comes and talks to you, then you'll have that evidence you need. This is more like "You are falling into a pit of lava and somebody else falling with you (the priest) says: 'Believe in x person and he'll eventually come to rescue you'"

TheRichar

Check my Thread :3
    Years
    No because god makes all of us fear of beeing bad like... If I kill I'll go to hell or something like that do if I pub;idh something like that everyone will stop fearing and start doing "bad things"

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Of course I'd publish ~ then people could let this silly nonsense go and we'd be a far better people for it :3

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    It is impossible to prove the existence or non-existence of God due to the fact that earthly-world logic and physics cannot be applied to an all-powerful deity who creates said logic.

Nuff said really. I can't say anything on the current question.
    This ^.

But if there were undeniable proof (hypothetically of course. XD), then I would not publish it. The world needs God. Without God and heaven, there would be very little reason to be good and moral. I'm not talking about everyone, cause some people are just good by heart, without belief. Also, even if such proof were released, I wouldn't have believed in it.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    The world needs God. Without God and heaven, there would be very little reason to be good and moral.

That's not true at all. Religion may have helped to instill morals and ethics in our society, but now they're so ingrained that people adhere to them regardless of whether or not they believe in a god. And to be honest, I doubt that religion was even responsible for instilling those morals and ethics.

I know very few religious people, but everyone I know is "good and moral". People are good because it makes them feel good and because it's normal to be good, not because they're afraid of God.

Years
    Agnostic =/= Atheist

An atheist is someone who has dogmatic faith of a godless universe.

An agnostic is someone who doesn't make any statement on either side because either can be right or wrong.

Atheists have made up their minds as much as theists have, agnostics have not and some never will.
    All agnostics are atheists; not all atheists are agnostics. The kind of atheist you describe may have made up her or his mind, but it's not nearly as "dogmatic" to believe something doesn't exist when there is no proof as it is to believe something does exist when there is no proof. The theist is making a big leap of faith. The atheist is taking a small step.

I'm saddened and a little frightened that there are so many people who are only good because they fear punishment. Saddened because they don't do good things because they want to and frightened because something so fragile as faith keeps them from being criminals rather than sympathy and understanding for fellow human beings.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    even if i did find irrefutable evidence and publish it, i'm positive people would somehow either adjust their beliefs to the evidence or deny it completely. i would give it a whirl, despite the chastisement i would most likely undergo, but i doubt it would accomplish much.

@ people who believe that empathy isn't natural and that your ~petrifying~ god is the only reason anyone conducts themselves at biblical standards, get out from under your rock. we do not need religion to make moral judgments, i am amused/disturbed by your mentality.

TheGearofWar

RAAM Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2010
    I would publish it. Doesn't mean people will believe it, but I would still publish it.

Hell, the Bible is supposed "published proof that God does exist", but I don't adhere to it or even really pay attention to it.

It would be the same story, only reversed.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I hate thinking of such radical hypothetical situations. This one especially because I do believe in a God. >_<

In theory, I'd most likely burn my evidence. There are a ton of people in the world that get by in their miserable lives on faith alone (I should know...both of my parents are among them). Without anything to have faith in, I can foresee a deterioration of morals due to the "nothing to live for" argument.

I personally see God in a different way than most Christians...I see Him as a bit of a jerk who created us just for His entertainment. Those of us that proved our character to Him by enduring suffering and hardships get admitted to Heaven and those that fell to depression and despair get sent to Hell. To people like me, the nonexistance of God wouldn't make as much of a difference than it would to the Fundamentalist Christian lot.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I wouldn't even read let alone publish said proof. I am an apatheist. It appears that it would be disruptive to our current mode of society, the many argumentative atheists will get more bigheaded than they already are about what they so confidently adhere to; while as I refuse to consort with either side of the argument, I would rather keep it away from my name. I may give it to someone else, but hell if I know or care what they will do with it.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    No.
    1. People would not believe me
    2. The Catholic Church would kill me (srs)
    3. I would have probably stopped many people from feeling the placebo that someone loves them. For those people who feel they have nothing left, God is the answer. If you take God out...what do they have to live for?
    4. Crime would probably go up
    5. People would have no reason to be moral

I have to say I agree with these reasons. If someone somehow found proof, no matter how infallible it is, many people would choose not to believe their findings. I would rather keep my findings to myself than be criticized by every religious monotheist that walks the Earth.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I'm saddened and a little frightened that there are so many people who are only good because they fear punishment. Saddened because they don't do good things because they want to and frightened because something so fragile as faith keeps them from being criminals rather than sympathy and understanding for fellow human beings.

Exactly. What the hell (lol) happened to people that can just do good simply for the fact that it makes them smile?

All these arguments are kind of pointless, because as someone pointed out, it wouldn't matter if you published "proof". Some people would take it seriously, and some wouldn't. Eventually it would get buried over time and new religions with new "gods" would form because people want their beliefs, and will do whatever they need to continue to have them.

Chrisbob78

SoulSilver
    Years
    I whould not. So many people feel so strong for this power we call God I could not be the one to take that away from some one.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    It is impossible to prove the existence or non-existence of God due to the fact that earthly-world logic and physics cannot be applied to an all-powerful deity who creates said logic.

Nuff said really. I can't say anything on the current question.
    This.
    Also...it really wouldn't change anything. @_@; Seriously, people will keep on believing what they want, and if someone's using religion as an excuse for something, they'll pick up another excuse somewhere, I'm sure.

Back