• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you had to get rid of one holiday, which one would it be?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I actually got this idea from an advertisement on TV. It was showing a little girl's birthday being ruined and I wondered whether birthdays are really necessary - since yes, they celebrate your birth, but that advertisement made the girl seem a little selfish. Anyway, to the point...

1. Out of all the public holidays and days that are considered to be important, which one would you remove if you had to get rid of one, and why? - which means it'll be non existant, by the way

2. If you could make a day that is considered to be a day of importance a public holiday, which would it be? - this means April Fools, Halloween, etc

I'm not sure what I would get rid of, although after that advertisement, I considered birthdays, but I guess everyone needs a day set apart from each other day for themselves. Saying that though, I'd probably selfishly choose Thanksgiving, since it isn't beneficial to Australians.

I would make April Fools a public holiday because... it just seems appropriate. Also, the first of each month, so you only get pinched + punched by the people you live with.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Christmas, then games will be released when they are made, and not in September/October/November... Indeed I have no especially profound motive for my choice. I wouldn't make anything into a holiday.

Years
    • Seen today
    All those Hallmark ones. That's all they are, commmercial.
    Valentines also, I don't need a paticular day to tell me to be romantic.

Ayselipera

I guess Father's Day since that would never affect me. If that doesn't count then I would say Columbus Day. He wasn't the first person to discover the Americas and he wasn't very noble in his actions.

This might sound dumb, but I think Earth day or Arbor Day should be a public holiday. People need to be more aware and respectful of the environment.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    1. Out of all the public holidays and days that are considered to be important, which one would you remove if you had to get rid of one, and why? - which means it'll be non existant, by the way
    The holiday I would get of is Valentine's Day. Not because I'm unromantic, but because it breaks more heart than it's intended to. There's nothing worse than being single and having no valentine on Valentine's Day. I, personally, have never had a special someone on Valentine's Day.
    And for those who aren't single on Valentine's Day, the men probably expect the women to expect so much. But Valentine's Day is about celebrating love. It's not about going out and buying heart-boxed chocolates and spending your life savings on the most beautiful bouquet of flowers you can find. Valentine's Day is about celebrating the love you have for someone, and the only reason you love them (hopefully) is for their personality. Valentine's Day should simply be celebrated by being together and enjoying each other's company. But like many holidays (Christmas being the worst one), it's been commercialized.

2. If you could make a day that is considered to be a day of importance a public holiday, which would it be? - this means April Fools, Halloween, etc
    I don't really know. I think all the holidays are holidays for a reason, and all the importance days aren't holidays for a reason.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

Patriot Day. What you are supposed to do is look ahead to the future, not look back and mourn. This also caused a lot of hate towards Islam(and unnecessary war) even though only a fraction are actually terrorists.
    And Christmas Eve if I can take one more out. Is there really a point to it?

N/A.
    The only holidays that I truly think are important are already holidays.
    But if I had to, Halloween. It's a ritualistic holiday misrepresented to be Satanic.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I'd have to get rid of Halloween. It was fun when I was young, but now it's merely another day. I know young kids still enjoy it though, but it's pretty useless to me anymore. I don't even get to eat the candy. ):

Years
  • I'd have to get rid of Halloween. It was fun when I was young, but now it's merely another day. I know young kids still enjoy it though, but it's pretty useless to me anymore. I don't even get to eat the candy. ):

Same here. I would get rid of Halloween because I have grown out of trick-or-treating and dressing up.

Years
  • Patriot Day and all other "remembrance" holidays. It's not fair that only some people get holidays commemoration their sacrifices or suffering and others don't. Besides, it's better to celebrate life than death, like how people celebrate Lennon's birthday rather than the day he died.

I'd like to see May Day become something bigger in America, both the festival aspect of it and the labor/worker's rights side. Labor Day is kind of a joke holiday.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • 1. Out of all the public holidays and days that are considered to be important, which one would you remove if you had to get rid of one, and why? - which means it'll be non existant, by the way
    President's Day. Why? Because, I get that week off anyways XD

Halloween. I'd love to get it off <3

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Personally I like every holiday as is,besides Halloween over the past years it has been real boring for me,neighbors never home anymore it's not even a Halloween to go trick or treating,I gave up years ago.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    1. President's Day because it is point less to me. Why can't we just say each president's birthday. It is also my least favorite.
    2. Christmas because it is Jesus's birthday.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • 1. Out of all the public holidays and days that are considered to be important, which one would you remove if you had to get rid of one, and why? - which means it'll be non existant, by the way
    Let's get rid of Valentine's Day. If you're not in love, you don't need a holiday to drive home that fact. If you are in love, you should be showing your affections every day.

Halloween. It's better than Christmas, because on Halloween I can dress like Blue/Leaf and not look completely insane. Though I'm not sure I would want off school because it's fun coming to class dressed up XD

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
    Halloween. It lost its purpose long ago and now serves only as commercial ploy and obesity encouragement...but that's only my opinion.

2. If you could make a day that is considered to be a day of importance a public holiday, which would it be? - this means April Fools, Halloween, etc.
    Probably something green/environment related. I'm not too keen on adding to the public holidays, since there are quite a few already. D: /killed

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
    Does it have to be from our country? Because I was actually having this discussion with an American friend the other day. She and I were talking about our different holidays, and she said something about Thanksgiving. I've never understood the holiday. I mean, yes, it's about giving thanks for the people discovering America. But in all honesty, the whole eating-a-lot-of-food thing...I don't really get that ._. Just to me, it seems like a pointless way to celebrate a holiday. I'm probably wrong, because I'm not American, but I'd just like to know what kind of fun eating a crapload of food is considered.

Probably my birthday. It's considered "of importance" to me ;]

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • 1. Out of all the public holidays and days that are considered to be important, which one would you remove if you had to get rid of one, and why?
    Umm... Thanksgiving. Really pointless IMO

Valentines Day. A special day where you can be with your lover ALL day if your a school kid you'd have school closed : )

Back