• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you had to open a type-specific gym, what type would you choose?

Shukawariosenpai

Pokemon Breeder/Completionist
Years
  • If you had to open a type-specific gym, what type would you choose? And what would your team be?

It personally took me awhile to find a type that spoke to me, but once I found dark type it totally clicked for me. The only thing that bums me out is their added weakness to fairy type.

My team would most likely be:

Murkrow
    Absol
    Houndoom
    Umbreon
    Spiritomb
    Malamar

What about you guys?

Years
  • Dark types are cool, my favourite would probably be Weavile, and in all honesty I could see myself as a Dark type gym leader.
    Steel types beats Dark by just a bit for me though. I don't really know why I love that type so much, I guess it just boils down to me liking the designs of almost all of the steel types.

My team:

Bisharp
    Aegislash
    Empoleon
    Scizor
    Escavalier
    Ferrothorn/Lairon

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    I feel like it's a bit obvious that I would choose to open a Dragon-type Gym, based on my signature, profile pic, and what not. At one point, I even had several teams sketched out on paper using almost every dragon Pokemon. Each team would match up with the average levels and number of Pokemon of the first gyms in the games, the second gyms, and so on. I even had an Elite Four and Champion team as well.

My Team
    1. Dragonair (Dragonite)
    2. Kingdra
    3. Flygon (Garchomp)
    4. Noivern
    5. Goodra
    6. (Mega Charizard X/ Mega Salamence/ Mega Latias)

The bolded Pokemon are my first choice, however if the battle is a more competitive one that allows a team of 6, and whether or not Latias and Charizard can be used, I may switch to use the ones in parenthesis.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I'd open an Ice gym! I think that the type as a whole is just really cool, although I wouldn't mind opening a Psychic type gym or a Fire type... because most of my favorite Pokemon are of those types.

My team would consist of:
    Froslass
    Glaceon
    Lapras
    Dewgong
    Weavile
    Mamoswine/Walrein
    ...thinking of Ice type Pokemon made me realize how few Ice types there are. x(

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I would open an Electric Gym as they are my favorite with Steel uber close behind as for my team:

Jolteon
    Magnezone
    Heliolisk
    Galvantula
    Rotom
    Mega Ampharos

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I'd pick a Steel-type gym, obviously. It is my favourite type after all and there haven't been too many Steel gyms anyway.

As for my team it'd probably look like this:
    Skarmory
    Lucario
    Bisharp
    Steelix
    Empoleon
    Mega Aggron

Years
  • I would open a Psychic-Type Gym, is my favorite type and you have a loooot of choices for a team.
    It would be something like this, but Gallade or Slowbro are options too.

Meowstic-M
    Malamar
    Starmie
    Metagross
    Reuniclus
    Mega Alakazam

Years
  • Even though it's not my favorite type, I think I'd like to be a Bug type Gym Leader, preferably one that's earlier on in the region. My team would probably only be two Pokemon, which are:

Butterfree
    Larvesta

For any sort of competitions that required me to have a full Pokemon team, I'd probably go with:

Butterfree
    Volcarona
    Scizor
    Heracross
    Shedinja
    Armaldo

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
  • I'd open a Normal Type gym!
    It's a very balanced type with few weakness. Although considered weaker, the majority of options they have is amazing and always welcome. I don't care much for comp' so they are really fine!

My team would consist off:
    -Stoutland
    -Snorlax
    -Blissey
    -Braviary
    -Porygon-Z
    -Persian

It could probably be better, but this team is for pure awesomeness!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'll open a fire type gym since there are so many things that are doable with stuff related to heat or fire such as spas, saunas, and even grills.

Team would be:
    Arcanine
    Volcarona
    Magmortar
    Darmanitan
    Blaziken (Mega)

Years
  • Spoiler:
    Okay, not really, I'd probably feature a really obscure flying-type gym, with Pokemon that don't necessarily look like flying types and the "WHY DOES THIS POKEMON EVEN KNOW FLYING MOVES???" Pokemon.

1. Scyther.
    2. Gyarados.
    3. Pinsir.
    4. Golurk.
    5. Dugtrio - with its only attack being Aerial Ace (because HOW, it's a stumpy ground nugget, what can it even do)
    6. Jumpluff - because it's fluffy and can float around the Gym as a part-flying Pokemon.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I'd open a Fighting Type gym for sure! Though i don't use them a lot in the games, I've always admired their abilities, designs and stats.

My team would be:
    Infernape
    Primeape
    Poliwrath
    Gallade - with Mega
    Lucario - with Mega
    Toxicroak

Like to have options for mega evolution, depending on the challenger ;)

Years
  • LOL idk why everyone is putting down 6 pkm.
    How many gyms have you been to with a full team? usually its 3- 4

That said i'd run a Poison gym.

Toxicroak
    Crobat
    Muk

+ Dragalge if i get a 4th

Years
  • If I were to choose, I'd go for a Dark gym, although I also like the idea of a Fire or Fighting type gym.
    This would be my team:
    (Hydreigon)
    Greninja
    Cacturne
    Houndoom
    Krookodile
    (Bisharp)
    I would use the ones in parentheses if it were a more serious battle

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years
  • I'd open up either a Water or Ghost gym. My Water team would be:

Poliwrath
    Empoleon
    Quagsire
    Gyarados
    Kingdra
    Blastoise

Ghost:

Drifblim
    Trevenant
    Dusknoir
    Aegislash
    Spiritomb
    Gengar

Last edited:

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I would open a ground Type Gym.
    If I could open a gym I Would have battles Similar to Juan in the Anime.
    1 Double battle until my two Pokemon Faint and then single battles till no Pokemon are Left.
    Team:
    Mamoswine
    Gliscor
    Garchomp
    Donphan
    Swampert/Torterra

OrochiGamer

Pokemon Legacy
    Years
  • Hello guys my name is Orochi Gamer, on Youtube and Twitter its Road Orochi Gamer and my IG its PS3GOD_TDG_Crisfield. Any ways have any of you guys ever thought of coming together and sending Nintendo the idea of making a Pokemon game where "you" the player creates your own character and start your own Journey of catching pokemon? Im not talking about how Black, White, X, Y, or OR, and AS did I mean you build your own character from scratch; Skin tone, height, weight, gender, clothing, hair style. Not only that but build your character and decide what region you would like to start at, like the Orange Islands, or Start from Unova and you can travel around every region that Pokemon has to offer. You the character get's to battle against Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold all the main characters that Pokemon has shown us in the manga, comics, anime, and games. You get to choose your own starter pokemon instead of getting the same Fire, Water, Grass types they offer you, you get a random selection of base level pokemon not baby pokemon but pidgey or charmander or zubat or eevee. with that being said you can go out in the wild and find your own wild charmander and starter pokemon. in this game you are the pokemon trainer to be a master, you do get legendaries but not how you typically get them you have to get strong you will be missing your chances from time to time, and no once you defeat the legend they gone for good, if the legendary faints in the battle you can find it again but its level is higher than it was the first time you battle. example Lugia is at lvl 50, it faints and when you see it again its at lvl 70. Think about it you are the pokemon trainer this is not a game like all the others nintendo has given us, Pokemon Go is just a starting point think of how much they can really do if they had enough supporters. is this game lets say there is a multiplayer access where you can see other players roaming the area you are in and you can go up to them and trade or friendly battle exchange information, like a real trainer. now the NPC's we battle yeah the same way they turn they run to you if they see you same access if you playing the story mode, or you can cut on your online play still play your story mode, but other players have access to battle you. Think of being able to create your own Gym after a certain amount of badges or defeating 2 leagues, better yet making your own League with you and your friends and where other players can play against your league or gym and they get a badge or notification of defeating. Like all pokemon games you get to travel to other areas like kanto and johto, or whatever you only bound to travel to 2 different countries, why not be able to travel through all of the countries catch all the pokemon in the natural area, collect badges from all the islands and gyms. sounds nice right, remember the times where you trade a pokemon and they evovle for the other player, this time around you trade the pokemon but they dont evolve, you still have to train it and make it evovle on your own, no more trading evolutions, now you have to train the pokemon like its your own. think about it, this game for the Nintendo Handhelds and Wii U system? they would profit way beyond anything, Xbox and Playstation would have to start making new hitters or remakes to stand a chance. This game would be the start of making pokemon extend to the limits we all be wanting it to go. we all thought of how would it really feel to battle Red not as gold or anyone else but as yourself. Think of it as a real time based game, umberon and espon, eevee night and eevee day, if its sunny outside where you are its sunny in the game train that eevee in the sun, when its start being dark and at night its night in the game train eevee at night, real time based gaming where it runs on your time, of course there would be updates and little bugs but dont you think nintendo would profit big from this. call the game "Pokemon Legacy" you are your own Legacy you are your own master.
    Thank you for hearing me out if you think this is a good start somewhere lets all get together and fund them for this idea to be an reality, I know people from Nintendo company be on these forms too so if your reading guess what.... You just got you new big hitter.

Years
  • # @OrochiGamer

For starters, this is a great idea, but i don't think it belongs on this thread.

Secondly, it seems far more in depth for the capabilities of the current handheld system. Sounds like a real RPG experience which probably isn't gonna happen for a while. (if ever)

Reason being, the Pokemon game as we know it has been mainlined on the nintendo Handheld devices and has been the premier game for such. Most people buy these "DS" systems for pretty much the sole purpose of pkm (myself included).Therefore making a viable and substantial RPG outside of the handheld system would render the handheld releases obsolete and thus hurting sales for their handheld devices. Basically, to make a (good) console or PC pokemon RPG, would cause their DS sales to suffer which they aren't prepared to do presently. Perhaps down the road, but they held out for nearly 20yrs so i wouldn't hold my breath. Nintendo isn't run by oblivious morons... they are fully aware of the potential this game could have on consoles.
    Which is sad because a Pkm MMO/ RPG on console or PC would be awesome.

The word is out that they have already started development of the next Gen handheld and it will be released probably 2017. The best we can do is hope that it has the power to push a strong PKM gaming experience through it and perform high end games like PS-Vita.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like to stick with my own Water type gy...island :P

I'd like my own gym to be an entire town that's build on a small island, completely surrounded by gigantic waterfalls. The puzzle would be illusion based and every challenger would need to uncover the secrets of the island in order to reach me. After beating me, they'd be allowed to use Waterfall, which is neccessary in order to climb the waterfalls that block their way out.

As members of my team, I'd use:
    - Greninja
    - Starmie
    - Seismitoad
    - Azumarill
    - Manaphy
    - (Mega) Gyarados

And as a twist the field would be covered by permanent Rain.

Reactions: Sun
    Back