• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you were a gym leader, what type would the gym be, and what would it look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
Years
  • If I were a Gym Leader, I think my Gym would definitely be a Water-type gym. Water-type Pokemon are my favorite, especially the starters we get every generation. I'd definitely like my gym to be among one of the last a trainer faces, if not the eighth gym of a region by default, so I could see the trainers who face me use their all to prove their mettle for taking on the Elite Four.

Theme-wise, my gym would probably be set up like the hot springs in Reykjavik, Iceland: Big, open pools of water with small islands you can walk across and fight my trainers. My trainers would be Cheerleaders, male ones dressed in ōendan uniforms, because I love the idea of cheer squads; the idea of valiant ōendan cheering on their Pokemon with dances, whistles, and rallying calls inspires me a lot.

My team of choice would stay the same as my Secret Base: A Blastoise, a Protean Greninja, and a Swampert. Two of them, the Greninja and Swampert, would know Ice Punch and Waterfall, whereas the Blastoise would be move-for-move identical to Siebold's from the Mega Evolution special, with Dragon Pulse, Power-Up Punch, Head Smash and Hydro Pump (which would be shared with Swampert). And the TM I'd hand out is Waterfall, as befitting my position as the last step before Victory Road.

My Badge is something I already visually designed, the Tsunami Badge--
    fWqeUs6.png
    --which is visually based off the painting Great Wave Off Kanagawa.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Alright, I was too hyped with my previous description, now to add moar details:

For the ambitious romhacker or Poke-essentials fan game maker, here's something you can use.

Name of City: Noxus (last and final city before the region's Pokemon League)
    Type: Dark and its subtypes
    Badge: Night Badge - allows all traded pokemon of any level to obey their trainer.
    Gift: TM(xx) Foul Play or TM88 Dark Shroud

Notable things about the Noxus Dark gym:
    - On going battle condition -> Darkness - This battle condition is faced by all competing trainers inside the gym. Basically in my description, the competing trainers will have to navigate through a series of mazes filled with traps, obstacles, and lurking gym goons in a Predator vs Prey style contest. (Read my previous post for the details). The darkness faced by all competing trainers will have the following effects:

Darkness: "Weather/Environment" condition
    - Powers up all dark type moves by 1.5x (150%)
    - Greatly reduces the super effectiveness of Fighting and Fairy type attacks
    - All fighting type pokemon (whether primary or secondary) have their defense and special defense reduced by 30%
    - All fairy type pokemon (whether primary or secondary type) have a 50% chance of not attacking out of fear.
    = After all, mental conditioning and spiritual fortitude is nothing when you cannot even see who your supposed to hit (while those who lurk in Darkness can)
    = Friendship and magic is nothing when the very essence of fear prevents even sight beyond sight.

This includes the battle with the gym leader (me)

Lineup -> since i'm the region's 8th gym leader, the level of my authorized pokemon should be at least on par with the 1st member of the Elite Four (Think Giovanni in Yellow). As a gym leader, i should show my excellence in my craft, thereby I have almost perfect IVs and EVs on my pokemon. So if I were to be fought with a trainer's pokemon with the WRONG EVs and natures (IV's are forgivable) like your beloved Modest Machamp with Special attack EVs, or your Adamant Alakazam without a proper EV Set, you're in trouble. (#Smogonrulez)

Spoiler:

The idea of an on-going battle condition/persistent weather effect faced in a gym isn't anything new though. Fan game Pokemon Zeta and Omicron has a gym leader that has a permanent Sunny Day (or Drought) activated in every battle. Since my gym is the dark type, I thought I make my own "Weather" effect as well.

Last edited:

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
    Years
  • Bug Type

Signature:
    vespiquen.gif

Team:
    666.gif
    leavanny.gif
    volcarona.gif

Of course, vespiquen would be the queen bee. Either this, or a grass, water, or dragon gym.

Grass: Serperior, Lilligant, Leavanny, Sawsbuck (Gen 5)
    Water: Milotic, Samurott, Lapras , Jellicent
    Dragon: M-Altaria, Kingdra, Dragalge, Flygon

Love your teams! Thank you for sharing with me ~

I'd go with a Water Type gym. But unlike every other gym it wouldn't just be one type themed building. Instead I'd make an entire town into my gym. In order to find me, all my challengers would need to go through the town, talk to people to get more clues that help them to find me. Some of those people are just simple citizens, while others are trainers, they have to battle first. These clues would lead the challengers to different areas that hide more clues, trainers and sometimes little secrets (as in useful items). The whole town would be dyed into an atmospheric blue, because it's completely surrounded by waterfalls and finding clues would also require the challenger to cross lakes, go through waterfalls in order to find hidden caves and all that kind of stuff.
    After gathering all neccessary hints the challenger would find a key that would allow them to access the building where I'd wait for them. The battle itself would take place at the top of the building on a hugh roof with all the waterfalls in the background.

As for my teams, I'd go with being the last leader the challenger has to beat, so obviously my team would have the highest level of them all and would probably be around level 50, Team members being:
    politoed.gif
    gastrodon.gif
    gyarados.gif
    greninja.gif
    ludicolo.gif
    azumarill.gif

A complete six Pokemon team, Rain abuse, Gastrodon for Electric types, Gyarados to put pressure onto Grass types, Greninja to take the challenger off guard and Azumarill as my signature Pokemon that cleans up whatever is left of my opponents team. It's probably not the best monotype team, but considering that Gym Leaders don't fight to beat every challenger it should be enough to make them think what their next move might be.
    I'd also get rid of such stupid rules like "the Gym Leader isn't allowed to switch Pokemon mid-battle", because I really want to make them think instead of stupidly spam one move to get through.

As for TMs, I'd probably give them Waterfall, because normally you get the same move the signature Pokemon is using and considering how the whole town is covered by those it's also fitting. A nice little gimmick would be that they would then be allowed to climb those waterfalls leading them to even more places of the town that can be explored.

Very cool! Thank you for all this. Sounds like a very neat gym idea.

Grass Type, With All Harvest Ability Gym. I would be like Early Gym, Root Badge. TM Would be Grass Knot. And the ability to use HM Cut.

Main

Team

Gotta love grass types!

If I were a Gym Leader, I think my Gym would definitely be a Water-type gym. Water-type Pokemon are my favorite, especially the starters we get every generation. I'd definitely like my gym to be among one of the last a trainer faces, if not the eighth gym of a region by default, so I could see the trainers who face me use their all to prove their mettle for taking on the Elite Four.

Theme-wise, my gym would probably be set up like the hot springs in Reykjavik, Iceland: Big, open pools of water with small islands you can walk across and fight my trainers. My trainers would be Cheerleaders, male ones dressed in ōendan uniforms, because I love the idea of cheer squads; the idea of valiant ōendan cheering on their Pokemon with dances, whistles, and rallying calls inspires me a lot.

My team of choice would stay the same as my Secret Base: A Blastoise, a Protean Greninja, and a Swampert. Two of them, the Greninja and Swampert, would know Ice Punch and Waterfall, whereas the Blastoise would be move-for-move identical to Siebold's from the Mega Evolution special, with Dragon Pulse, Power-Up Punch, Head Smash and Hydro Pump (which would be shared with Swampert). And the TM I'd hand out is Waterfall, as befitting my position as the last step before Victory Road.

My Badge is something I already visually designed, the Tsunami Badge--
    fWqeUs6.png
    --which is visually based off the painting Great Wave Off Kanagawa.

Wow, sounds awesome! I especially like the badge you made.

Years
  • Because I'm indecisive, I thought it would be a good idea to come up with not one, but 18 different gyms if I were to be a Gym Leader. Unfortunately, I found out that I bit off more than I could chew partway through, so while I did come up with ideas for 18 gyms, this is just the outline of them, rather than a full explanation of each. Also, I figure that I'd be one of the final 3 gyms in whatever region I'm in, so my Pokemon would be in the level range of 30's to early 40's, with my main Pokemon being on the far right side of each team.

Spoiler:

atmmachine11

Years
  • Because I'm indecisive, I thought it would be a good idea to come up with not one, but 18 different gyms if I were to be a Gym Leader. Unfortunately, I found out that I bit off more than I could chew partway through, so while I did come up with ideas for 18 gyms, this is just the outline of them, rather than a full explanation of each. Also, I figure that I'd be one of the final 3 gyms in whatever region I'm in, so my Pokemon would be in the level range of 30's to early 40's, with my main Pokemon being on the far right side of each team.

Spoiler:

I'm glad you put this much effort into this. These are all really interesting.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I would have to say either a ghost, grass, water, poison, flying or fire.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

I'm so HM02

Banned
    Years
  • Mine would be an Ice type gym, since I played Hockey growing up. The city would be named Snowpeak City being based on top of the Mountain. I would be the 8 Gym Leader with Pokemon between Levels 44-48. My badge would be the Avalance Badge. My Gym would be in and outside a Mountain with switches that can turn on Cold air then Push you back down the Mountain. Another would start a mini Avalance and push you back to start. Similar to Skyla's Gym. And once you beat me you get the move TM: Blizzard. And you ride a Snowboard down to the entrance. My Pokemon would be a level 45 Froslass, a level 44 Beartic, a level 45 Weavile and a Level 48 Walrein.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Dragon is my favourite type, so I'd probably go with dragon. I'm not sure if I'd want to be the first or the eight gym though (since I can't pick the E4 xD).

Gym 1
    I can't help but love the idea of the first gym being a dragon gym. It would probably be hell since dragon pokemon resist all three of the starter types, but that's what makes it great. I think I'd probably like my gym in this instance to be similar to Cheren's in the sense that it's attached to the trainers school. You'd enter into a fairly simple room where you ascend a staircase to a large platform battling two or three other trainers on the way. Being the first gym this would be my team

328.png
    (Male, Hyper Cutter, Level 14) - Bite, Mud-Slap, Sand Attack, Struggle Bug
    goomy.png
    (Female, Gooey, Level 15) - Absorb, Water Pulse, Bide, Poison Tail
    610.png
    (Male, Mold Breaker, Level 17) - Dragon Rage, Dual Chop, Roar, Arial Ace

Gym 8
    If I was the eight gym I'd go for something a bit more dramatic. The gym would be a large amphitheatre full of entertainers like fire-twirlers, dancers and jugglers plus dragon tamers. The trainer would walk in and suddenly large pillars would burst forth from the ground (with stairs some of them) creating a sort of multileveled maze. Once you reached the end you'd find me on a stand-alone pillar. My team would consist of five pokemon

148.png
    (Female, Marvel Scale, Level 52) - Dragon Dance, Extreme Speed, Dragon Rush, Iron Tail
    706.png
    (Female, Gooey, Level 55) - Dragon Pulse, Acid Armour, Flamethrower, Sludge Wave
    330.png
    (Male, Levitate, Level 54) - Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Fire Punch, Power-Up Punch
    691.png
    (Male, Adaptability, Level 53) - Dragon Pulse, Sludge Wave, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast
    715.png
    (Male, Infiltrator, Level 56) - Boomburst, Hurricane, Dark Pulse, Draco Meteor

I'd also carry two or three full restores and have good EVs on the team.
    I feel that the last gym is often far too easy.

atmmachine11

Years
  • Dragon is my favourite type, so I'd probably go with dragon. I'm not sure if I'd want to be the first or the eight gym though (since I can't pick the E4 xD).

Gym 1
    I can't help but love the idea of the first gym being a dragon gym. It would probably be hell since dragon pokemon resist all three of the starter types, but that's what makes it great. I think I'd probably like my gym in this instance to be similar to Cheren's in the sense that it's attached to the trainers school. You'd enter into a fairly simple room where you ascend a staircase to a large platform battling two or three other trainers on the way. Being the first gym this would be my team

328.png
    (Male, Hyper Cutter, Level 14) - Bite, Mud-Slap, Sand Attack, Struggle Bug
    goomy.png
    (Female, Gooey, Level 15) - Absorb, Water Pulse, Bide, Poison Tail
    610.png
    (Male, Mold Breaker, Level 17) - Dragon Rage, Dual Chop, Roar, Arial Ace

Gym 8
    If I was the eight gym I'd go for something a bit more dramatic. The gym would be a large amphitheatre full of entertainers like fire-twirlers, dancers and jugglers plus dragon tamers. The trainer would walk in and suddenly large pillars would burst forth from the ground (with stairs some of them) creating a sort of multileveled maze. Once you reached the end you'd find me on a stand-alone pillar. My team would consist of five pokemon

148.png
    (Female, Marvel Scale, Level 52) - Dragon Dance, Extreme Speed, Dragon Rush, Iron Tail
    706.png
    (Female, Gooey, Level 55) - Dragon Pulse, Acid Armour, Flamethrower, Sludge Wave
    330.png
    (Male, Levitate, Level 54) - Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Fire Punch, Power-Up Punch
    691.png
    (Male, Adaptability, Level 53) - Dragon Pulse, Sludge Wave, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast
    715.png
    (Male, Infiltrator, Level 56) - Boomburst, Hurricane, Dark Pulse, Draco Meteor

I'd also carry two or three full restores and have good EVs on the team.
    I feel that the last gym is often far too easy.

Yo, I love both of these gyms. Great job! And yeah, a Dragon gym from the get go would be absolutely hell (in a good way. ) As I think it would add a much needed layer of challenge to the Pokemon franchise.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I will have a Ghost type Gym in a ''Haunted House'' ! Challenger must win over their fear and go deep into the Haunted house to face me.

My team

Aegislash_Shiny_XY.gif
    Gourgeist_XY.gif
    Golurk_XY.gif
    Jellicent-M_XY.gif
    Chandelure_XY.gif
    Banette_Mega_XY_Sprite.gif

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Poison Type Gym #8

96px-545Scolipede.png
    96px-169Crobat.png
    96px-452Drapion.png

96px-691Dragalge.png
    96px-094Gengar.png
    96px-089Muk.png

The Gym would be modeled after a lab, a worn temple or a derelict building with poor lighting. Doors shut and lock behind the player one way. Traps cause the player to be ambushed by lower level Poison type Pokémon (There's a first for everything).

There would be eight Gym Trainers located about the Gym all with a variety of Poison type Pokémon with devious strategies and move sets. They'd appear around corners and shadows to challenge the player to battles. Gym trainers are: 1 Ninja Couple (male/female double battle), 3 Burglars (Male/Female), 2 Monks (Skull motif 'face camo') and 1 'Nurse' whose Pokémon are more difficult than the other Gym trainers.

Monks are just two guys who forget that the temple is a gym and attack interlopers and people that are unwanted in their 'temple'.
    The Nurse enjoys healing so much she causes pain so she can heal it. Great, a sadistic nurse. Trainers are also subject to change.

Before Battle: Ah. I know what you're here for. There'd only be one reason why someone like you would bug me in a place like this. You want my badge don't you? Too bad it's not free. *battle begins*

After Battle Defeat: You shouldn't stick your nose in business that doesn't concern you, beat it.

After battle Victory: Finally, someone worthy of my valuable time. That was enough to get the blood pumping, kid. Here *hands over the Gilt Badge* That piece will make every Pokémon obey you regardless of level. And take this with you *hands over TM 101 (New Poison Type Move)* That one will make your foes think twice when battling you. And with that. . . *screen goes black for a moment and the Gym Leader is gone*

Hands out the Gilt Badge based on being a high class burglar (but you wouldn't know just because it's a secret). Hands out 12,000 upon defeat.

Spoiler:
    threw this together in a few minutes. Needs work, it's just not 'shiny enough, but there it is.

atmmachine11

Years
  • Poison Type Gym #8

96px-545Scolipede.png
    96px-169Crobat.png
    96px-452Drapion.png

96px-691Dragalge.png
    96px-094Gengar.png
    96px-089Muk.png

The Gym would be modeled after a lab, a worn temple or a derelict building with poor lighting. Doors shut and lock behind the player one way. Traps cause the player to be ambushed by lower level Poison type Pokémon (There's a first for everything).

There would be eight Gym Trainers located about the Gym all with a variety of Poison type Pokémon with devious strategies and move sets. They'd appear around corners and shadows to challenge the player to battles. Gym trainers are: 1 Ninja Couple (male/female double battle), 3 Burglars (Male/Female), 2 Monks (Skull motif 'face camo') and 1 'Nurse' whose Pokémon are more difficult than the other Gym trainers.

Monks are just two guys who forget that the temple is a gym and attack interlopers and people that are unwanted in their 'temple'.
    The Nurse enjoys healing so much she causes pain so she can heal it. Great, a sadistic nurse. Trainers are also subject to change.

Before Battle: Ah. I know what you're here for. There'd only be one reason why someone like you would bug me in a place like this. You want my badge don't you? Too bad it's not free. *battle begins*

After Battle Defeat: You shouldn't stick your nose in business that doesn't concern you, beat it.

After battle Victory: Finally, someone worthy of my valuable time. That was enough to get the blood pumping, kid. Here *hands over the Gilt Badge* That piece will make every Pokémon obey you regardless of level. And take this with you *hands over TM 101 (New Poison Type Move)* That one will make your foes think twice when battling you. And with that. . . *screen goes black for a moment and the Gym Leader is gone*

Hands out the Gilt Badge based on being a high class burglar (but you wouldn't know just because it's a secret). Hands out 12,000 upon defeat.

Spoiler:
    threw this together in a few minutes. Needs work, it's just not 'shiny enough, but there it is.

Sounds super cool! I especially like the idea for the trainers and the entire set up of the gym. I like that pokemon come out and attack you as well. The badge is pretty cool for being thrown together that quickly.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd go for a Flying-type Gym, and it would be somewhat of a challenge. I'd be stocked with a couple of healing items and a team of 6 relatively strong Flying-type Pokemon. Being the 8th Gym Leader my team would consist of:

398.png
    468.png
    334.png
    581.png
    479-spin.png
    277.png

Lv. 52 | Lv. 53 | Lv. 53 | Lv. 52 | Lv. 53 | Lv. 55

Hushimine Rage

Pkmn Trainer Rage
    Years
  • I'll be a fire type gym leader. Though being a fire type gym leader isn't so creative, as Most types fire is weak to can be achieved by a trainer earlier in pokemon games, Mine would be a challenge.

My gym would be built in a volcano... Or course it isn't active anymore. You will have to solve a puzzle. If you get it wrong, rocks will crumble under your feet and you will fall to the first floor, in which you have to go up those stairs (Souns like a pain, huh? Cuz I love pain....). If you answer the puzzle correctly, a crate will switch on, and you will go on it. Some crates have trainers in them, they will jump out and battle you.

When you finally reach the top, you will have to answer one last puzzle to activate to door leading to me. If answered wrong, you will have to battle a trainer, then the door opens. If answered right, the doors automatically then you battle Gym Leader Rage. Once done, you get the not-so creative Inferno badge. The room will start to crumble, instantly becomes an elevator to bring you all the way down. Waiting below, are all the trainers you have beaten in the gym cheering for you. Yay.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I'd have a bug-type gym, and I'd give out the Arthropod Badge. Name would be Arthur as well,, haha. Just coming up with this stuff sporadically, as well.

Spoiler:

Primary would be a Lvl 50 Heracross. Team would consist of

Lvl 45. Scizor
    Lvl 47. Galvantula
    Lvl 47. Pinsir
    Lvl 49. Scolipede

My gym would be composed of super tall grass, that'd go up to the ceiling. The trainer would go through it,, running into bug catchers, until they figured out the right path to take to get to me.

Diver Girl

Number #1 Misty Fan
    Years
  • Type: Water
    My Gym:
    The exterior is all glass and like a round dome shape. The gym interior is a giant swimming pool with dive spots and lane ropes blocking your path. You have to dive underwater then you have to find the right spot to dive up but you don't know what the right spot is. If you dive up the wrong spot you instantly have to fight a trainer. Get through all the dive spots then you can face me the gym leader. The gym battle is an underwater battle.

Pokemon:

091MS.png

Held Item: Chesto Berry
    Ability: Skill Link
    Moves: Protect, Rest, Rock Blast, Icicle Spear

260MS.png

Held Item: Mystic Water
    Ability: Torrent
    Moves: Rain Dance, Dive, Protect, Earthquake

171MS.png

Held Item: Magnet
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Moves: Rain Dance, Thunder, Thunder Wave, Hydro Pump

073MS.png

Ability: Rain Dish
    Held Item: Black Sludge
    Moves: Barrier, Sludge Wave, Toxic Spikes, Protect

When you win you get the Seaweed Badge which looks like seaweed, and the TM Rain Dance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    If i was a gym leader, and i would be the one to have fossil Pokemon only. My gym would be earth-based with three floors. Instead of going up though, you have to go beneath the earth. the first two floor is the museum of ancient pokemon. The final floor at the very bottom is an excavation site.

which of course meant i'd have dual type rock pokemon. I'd have:

Omanyte
    Omastar
    Kabutops
    Aerodactyl
    Tyrantrum
    Carracosta

just like in Pokemon Red/Blue i was debating whether i chose kabutops or Omanyte

i just wanted to add to this, that once you win the gym battle, the commotion of the battle would cause someof the earth to move and reveal a new fossil, in which I the gym leader would give to the main character (trainer)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back