• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

II. Respect [/Discussion]

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Do you sometimes feel like you have no respect? Do you strive to get respect from your peers? Or do you feel like you get enough respect? [/Discuss]

Years
  • Respect. Such an interesting discussion.

For me, I respect everyone a little. Not to the point where I will believe every word they say, but a logical amount.
    I believe that respect has to be gained.
    There are very few people that I fully respect and there are less than a handful on this forum.

I don't 'strive' to earn respect from anyone.
    If a person doesn't respect me, then so be it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'm normally a nice and kind person. Gregarious against my own will, but that's only to add on the "fun" to my positive and optimistic nature.

Do I get respected by people? Well of course. I'm not one to cause trouble whatsoever; I even live by a set of morals. My behavior comes off as just really polite and nice, though there is the occasional moment people start being rude, but that's because they misinterpret my tone of voice(which sounds sorta rude) to be actually rude when it's not, so yeah. XD

To be honest, I do want more people to like me for who I am and stuff, but in the end, it's their opinion. Whether they choose to keep it or not is entirely up to them. I do what I can to make and get the best out of people, though.
    Thats what we all want xD. Where I live you have to gain respect either by being feared or by being well known for something.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I've been told I am intimidating, so I suppose I receive a kind of obsequious respect from others. I have, of course, had disloyal friends and have run into several people who lack courtesy for anyone's opinion but their own. So for me, respect comes and goes.

I don't really work hard to gain anyone's respect, but I try to always respect others.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Well in my area, that's definitely how you gain respect from the "ghetto"-affiliated males in my school. Then there's the actual, sensible males, whom respect me and vice-versa. I mean, as long as you're not an ass, you're fine.
    You just summed up all the kids in my school. I live in the projects so everyone is like that O.O

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Oh wow, really? I would assume that the "projects" the most ghetto part of an area, isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong. XD

But I live around an area where troublemakers are far and few between, so I don't encounter problems at all.
    Nope, you're exactly right lol xD. Its where years ago the Government tried relocating the poor people and it turned into a gang war soon soon after or something like that xD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Well there is the occasion whereas troublemakers would be around the corner, but I do well to try and stay away from them. I'm just luck I don't live in a total ghetto area; that would be scary. XD

I even stay away from the "gangster"-looking types at my school. I mean, I just don't want any confrontations and get on people's bad side, so I prefer to stay away from a lot of people. XD
    Hey I'm a gangster looking type >:[

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
  • It depends on who I want respect from. I'd rather not try and get the respect from people who's opinion's don't matter to me or I just don't really care about, as harsh as it sounds. I do appreciate respect from my friends, and as for my family.. Well, that's another story. Let's just say in my household, I'm the last part of the respect chain due to family traditions, which I've learnt to deal with over my life time but from time to time it does annoy me quite a bit. But respect from my friends is a given, if I feel like my friends aren't respecting me, I wouldn't really think of them as my friends anymore. Since no one likes the feeling of being treated like crap, especially to those who are close to you. I guess for me, since I don't recieve much /respect/ in my household, I would prefer it from my friends. As weird as it sounds, my family is my family, and I understand why I'm the lowest part. But I would want to be treated equally amongst my friends.

I don't strive for respect though, I just take what's given and appreciate it for whatever it's worth.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Sorryyy, I know I'm being stereotypical, but I can never tell which ones are intentionally trying to be "gangster" or just decent people that look intimidating. XD
    I don't really look intimidating unless you make me mad lol xD. I dressed and acted like a so called gangster since I was little and now I am seeing a fault in my behavior :O

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • From my good friends, I usuallyy feel respectedd and fine at all costs. Unless they do something that really takes shots at my pride, that is when I draw a line and get mad. From others, I also demand respect or I will have a problem with them, because theres no reason to be ignorant to someone especially if you don't even know them.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • Respect. Such an interesting discussion.

For me, I respect everyone a little. Not to the point where I will believe every word they say, but a logical amount.
    I believe that respect has to be gained.
    There are very few people that I fully respect and there are less than a handful on this forum.

I don't 'strive' to earn respect from anyone.
    If a person doesn't respect me, then so be it.

Amen, not too much more to be said other than I may be a little over respectful to others.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • There's few people I truly respect and love, others I still respect, but not as much. I try and generally respect other people, but sometimes people are too far up their asses to notice it or too annoying to even want to have anything to do with. I respect peoples property all the time, however. Respect comes and goes for me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't feel respected or disrespected, I don't strive for it and don't expect it. The concept doesn't seem particularly applicable in my life; everyone I know is a decent individual, and they see me as one, so everyone's all dandy and equal.

Code_Green

Time to get serious!
    Years
  • I am a joker I'm a smoker.I'm a midnight toker.~, and I joke alot, so I don't think anybody really respects me...i wish they would. XD I often speak my mind, and I come with ideas that get a lot of positive comments, but I think I ruin it by being un-serious too often. XD
    My brother is really the person I wish gave me more respect....He is 2 years younger, and most of the time he doesn't know what anybody is talking about. He thinks HE can boss ME around, even though I am stronger and could beat the crap out of him...but I don't, because I'm nice. XD (See? I cannot stay serious. At all. XD)

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I feel I moderate my selfishness with my ability to respect people. As made evident on this forum, I'm not very respectful to people who are simply part of a vapid fad that I view as pointless, simply because it's the cool thing to do, which I think is just a copout.

I respect individuals, people who are their own person, and people who come off like they know what they're talking about.

As far as the other side of the spectrum goes, I feel like I generate my own levels of respect by simply being myself. I've garnered a decent level of respect here, I find, and I generally do become a popular member of any forum I visit, without really trying too hard.

I never try too hard to be respected. I know that if I just be myself, and act entirely natural (and sometimes a little random :3), respect will come to me. It's not something I'm concerned with pursuing.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • It really depends. I do want to be respected by people here. I don't want to be considered different just because of the disabilities I have. After all, if people respected me for being who I was, I would do the same for them as well. I'm not the kind of person who would be rude just because someone is different. It doesn't matter to me what a person is because regardless of whatever they are, they'll always be human.

With that said, I do feel like I'm a bit selfish toward myself and maybe my parents. It's a habit, really... because I thrive upon stuff I want, saying NO I NEED IT GIMME NOW. and whatever. But that's mainly my parents spoiling me which also doesn't help my attitude. I also have a huge boundary limit to my room so having my parents come in causes me to outburst and yell at them. D:

I do respect my friends though. I respect them when they want to be left alone or if they have some sort of status saying they don't want to talk. Unless... if its something that they need to know... I would be all, "I know you don't want to talk but I have to tell you that blah blah blah". I have some respect for peers as long as they have respect for me as well.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Do you sometimes feel like you have no respect?
    I think a lot of people feel unappreciated or feel a lack of respect from time to time. In a way it is human nature. We all desire to love and be loved, well respect isn't too far from love. It has a different meaning, but the heart desires respect as much as it does love. As for me, I do. I'll admit to that. Sometimes I feel as if I', being misunderstood or people have been mislead by who I am or what my motives were for certain aspects. In my school I am respected, I don't like to make enemies and I'm usually pretty straight up about things. I keep my mouth shut when I need to and think something through before I do it. I've had cases where I've acted upon imoulse and deeply regretted my actions. i like to think I've learned from my mistakes however. I've never really felt a lack of respect amongst my peers, in saying that, I do have a good group of friends and know most people around me pretty well.

Do you strive to get respect from your peers?
    I don't strive for respect in general. I think I maybe cared about such a matter a few years back, but now it doesn't matter so much to me. I think those who strive for respect, are trying too hard. To earn respect in some ways, you need to do nothing and just be who you really are, but in others, you have to work yourself to the core to gain respect. Respect isn't a general thing though, everyone has their categories, everyone has their interests, you gain repsect upon your field in corrospondance to how you act within it. Amongst my peers I'm respected because I am their friend, and even if I'm not, I'ce done little to earn their disrespect, not in the past year at least, immaturity played it's part in my past. Something I'm glad to be rid of.

Or do you feel like you get enough respect?
    I don't think so. I think you get what you deserve for the most part, but as I say, sometimes things just don't look your way. So sometimes you don't gain the recognition you should have been merited, that can be the cause of feeling a lack of respect. Something I rarely ever feel though. I usually do things for myself and not to gain respect, and when I do things for others, I do it for them, not to gain something. Respect is outrun when desire comes into the occasion. I said it above, it doesn't contrast greatly with love, they are much alike, neither can be obtained by pure desire.

MidnightMoon

Rock On Community!
    Years
  • I will respect everyone except people under the age of 10 and people who treat others like crap and people who think their know it alls.

Back