• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen I'll Be (Re)playing...

Which Version Will you be Playing on the Virtual Console?

• Red

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • All of Them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    RBY for EShop

As revealed in the latest Nintendo 3DS, on February 27th 2016, RBY will be released on the Eshop on the 3DS. Would you buy any of them? If so, which one?

Edit: Green will also be coming out in Japan for those who live in Japan, or have a Japanese 3DS.

Last edited:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I still have (working) copies of Blue and Yellow, and an original Game Boy colour to play them on, so sadly I won't need the Eshop releases.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'd be tempted to buy all three, to be honest. But my immediate go-to will likely be Yellow, for childhood nostalgia.

I hear they have adapted the game for wireless trading, which is exciting.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I would buy all three of them, although I'm not really clear on the details (e.g., could I trade among my own games on a single 3DS?)

I haven't seen much about this yet (just saw the announcement on Serebii), but one thing I noticed is that Serebii mentioned Europe and Japan, but not the US (as far as I could tell). Have these been announced for the US?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    All my Gen. I games are working, but this has the advantage of no risk of losing save data from an internal battery running dry.
    I might consider getting Red, not sure.

Years
    I would buy all three of them, although I'm not really clear on the details (e.g., could I trade among my own games on a single 3DS?)

I haven't seen much about this yet (just saw the announcement on Serebii), but one thing I noticed is that Serebii mentioned Europe and Japan, but not the US (as far as I could tell). Have these been announced for the US?

Yes, it was shown in the NA Direct.

I don't think you can trade among your own games, seeing how you can only open one game on the device.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022

Yes, also coming to the US on the same date, according to Pokebeach.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'll probably buy them, mostly for the wireless trading capabilities because I think that's gonna be hella fun to do. I have working copies of all three, but wireless trading gen I games is such a fun idea to me that I will end up getting at least one. I've also considered getting one of each on my three 3DSes, but that might be overkill, haha.

Years
    It was very unexpected, but that it's great news for those who enjoyed the original versions and no longer have to face internal battery issues, and it also gives a chance for those who didn't play 1st Gen back in the day.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'll certainly be getting one of them once they come out. Most likely Yellow, because of the improved Pokemon designs and more attractive graphics. I especially love that it will work with Wi-Fi. I'm looking forward to trying out some Wi-Fi battling 1st gen style ^^

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    I am legitimately shocked. I never thought I'd see Nintendo pulling this off. ESPECIALLY allowing trading in this day and age on these systems? That's like...having vanilla ice cream with a slice of warm apple pie. What a way to celebrate the 20th Anniversary. Hell, I'm not even disappointed Z wasn't shown; I'll save that for February as well at this point.

I'm definitely picking up Yellow version. I wonder if Mew will actually be obtainable this time around, and if they're being faithful to the original experience with just a little bit of bells and whistles...will the glitches still be intact? Lol.

Years
    I was pretty surprised to see it announced in the Nintendo Direct, I'll probably download one of them, either Blue cause it was my first or Yellow, but not all three. I have working copies of the games anyway so there's no real need, but it's a nice dose of nostalgia.

Sirfetch’d

I will be buying Blue and Yellow! Maybe Red too eventually. I am now hoping that they release GSC shortly after if these are a pretty good success(which they will be).

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I don't think you can trade among your own games, seeing how you can only open one game on the device.

In that case, maybe I'll get some (or all) of the games for my 3DS XL, and then get an extra version for my regular 3DS as a go-between. I really prefer playing on the XL because it fits my hands better, and I don't have a whole lot of people to trade with locally these days.

Although given my buying patterns for the most recent generation (multiple copies of each game, for various reasons), I'll probably end up getting all three games on each system, if they're affordable...As last I checked, Red and Yellow still worked for me (though no Blue), but I keep my GBA and GBC (and GB Pocket, though it isn't working these days) at my parents' house, and it would be nice to play them on the 3DS XL I keep next to my bed. Somehow, I feel more committed to the games when they're on an actual console rather than an emulator (even if these are essentially just emulated games).

Now they just need to re-release stadium for me to use my team with it!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I will be buying Blue and Yellow! Maybe Red too eventually. I am now hoping that they release GSC shortly after if these are a pretty good success(which they will be).

As a gen II nostalgist, I would love to see GSC re-released. I don't know if it'll happen or not, but it can't be that expensive to release games on virtual console, and I think it would bring in enough of a profit for it to be worth it. None of my gen II games work, and I miss them a lot, although I'm not sure playing again could recreate the memories I had when I was younger. Still, it would be nice to have files that won't die (assuming the consoles last).

That being said, with these new virtual console releases, do you think we'll continue to see remakes/re-remakes in the future?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I just remembered that my Red tragically died this summer (like I was playing it, turned it off, couldn't remember if I saved, and when I booted it back up to check, it was deleted lmao) so I will definitely pick up Red!

Years
    I wonder if Go will be able to interact with these...it was said that it will interact with the main games... and considering that these re-releases have wi-fi capability to some degree...

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    This is great news, and I really liked the wireless trading idea. The Japan release even came with a very good bundle for it (download code, cartridge magnet, map and manual):

I'll Be (Re)playing...

However, there are a few things that come to my mind when these rereleases are announced:

• Are they going to replace the Game Corner slots?
    • Will you get Mew from this game, maybe from an event in the future?
    • Is the game patched to not have the MissingNo bug, or will it remain the same?

Back