• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'll sell you a magikarp for only 500 yen!!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • So, we know there are certain pokemon salesmen tries to sell. Lets say, your in the pokemon world, then one day, someone tells you a deal: "Magikarp for 500 yen!" or "Slowpoke tail for 1,000,000 yen!" or any other pokemon that someone decides to sell.

How would you react to people selling pokemon? Would you buy pokemon that people are selling? Would you sell pokemon yourself?

Just remember that this is assuming you, yourself are in the pokemon world.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I see nothing wrong with selling them, I'd buy a Pokemon I want in my team. The Slowpoketail is ridiculous though. I'd rather cut it myself for free xD.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I would probably the guy for selling Pokémon to any person of arthority, weather it be Looker or Officer Jenny. xD

Anyone could easily just use an rod to capture a Magikarp so there no need to pay for such money for a very worthless Pokémon.

Then again, say if he was as persuasive as in the anime I probably would buy it because of the funny things he comes up with. xD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Slowpoketail is horrible because they actually mutilate Pokémon to create them buuut... nothing wrong with selling Pokémon themselves, imo! If you consider them like animals, people sell animals as pets all the time. They'll even tack on extra fees for making sure they're healthy and well-trained. I see no reason it couldn't be similar in the Pokémon world.

Years
  • I would buy a pokemon depending on how healthy, rare, & how much the rest of my team liked it. As long as it wasn't poached or abused or something I don't really see a problem.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The prices quoted thus far seem a bit ridiculous, but I'd probably buy one if it was worth my money and if I wanted the critter in question. Just like a dog or any other pet, really...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I see nothing wrong with selling Pokemon. If those Magikarp and Slowpoke sales in the OP were offered to me, I'd refuse them.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I'd buy the Pokemon if they sell it healthy and it's worth it such as a Magikarp in Unova but buying a Slowpoke's Tail is wrong whether it be 1,000,000 yen or 1 yen. I wouldn't pay 500 yen for a Magikarp in Kanto though. That is like buying a crab when you live next to the ocean.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • How would you react to people selling pokemon?
    I will punch the seller.

Would you buy pokemon that people are selling?
    Yes, I will. I will buy all of them and set them free.

Would you sell pokemon yourself?

Hell no. >m<

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Since trainers capture pocket monsters and make them fight to unconsciousness, I don't think the trade of these creatures puts them in any worse a position. Getting angry at the selling but not the capture is like allowing slavery but not the trade of slaves in the real world — there's just not much point in accepting one without the other.
    I'd rather cut a Slowpoke's tail off myself than pay such extortionate fees. I'd kill it cleanly before doing anything to it... but, amittedly, more to save myself the trouble of it flailing around than out of moral or welfare concern.

I wouldn't buy monsters unless I had a history of them, health records and the like; one doesn't buy a car without also acquiring the legal documents, after all. My prerequisites granted and the monster shown to be in good health, I have no issue with the matter. There's not much of a case for me buying one though, Pokeballs are no doubt cheaper and a venture into the woods would do me good. I only require a craven Spearow companion anyway.

To answer your last question: Since I'd be a whaler living in Sootopolis, if I lived in the Pokemon world, it wouldn't be in my business to sell entire live monsters — I'd only be selling Wailord meat and whatnot, heh. If I found a Lapras, though, things could change; they've been poached since the first generation games, and given their rarity, could fetch a good price and allow me to take a break from my job for a while.

I'm not nearly so much evil as apathetic, honestly.

Last edited:

Princess Sandshrew

PokéRespect
    Years
  • I'd kill it cleanly before doing anything to it... but, amittedly, more to save myself the trouble of it flailing around than out of moral or welfare concern.

Slowpoke can't learn flail.

as for selling mons, why not.
    and the slowpoke tail, if it really tastes that good I would get it, I doubt many would be sold for 1mil though.

You eat animals, you buy animals.
    pokemon are animals... basically.
    though I also hold a human no higher than an animal, if it's ok to buy/sell animals it's ok to buy/sell humans.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2020
    Slowpoke can't learn flail.

as for selling mons, why not.
    and the slowpoke tail, if it really tastes that good I would get it, I doubt many would be sold for 1mil though.

You eat animals, you buy animals.
    pokemon are animals... basically.
    though I also hold a human no higher than an animal, if it's ok to buy/sell animals it's ok to buy/sell humans.

Wait, really? O_O
    You're sick in the head man… sick I tell you.

Regarding the question at hand, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with selling Pokémon. If I lived in the Pokémon world, I would make a living out of Pokémon breeding and I'd sell Pokémon of the finest pedigree for Pokémon Coordinators, or anyone willing to drop the buck… just like people in the real world.

On the other hand, advocating slavery is… stupid (there's a reason we abolished it (on paper) to begin with). End of discussion. :\

Last edited:

Princess Sandshrew

PokéRespect
    Years
  • On the other hand, advocating slavery is… stupid (there's a reason we abolished it (on paper) to begin with). End of discussion. :\

so, you can buy pokemon because they WILL become your friends, but a human will never?
    slavery isn't the bad thing here, it's the mistreating of people.
    you'd force an animal to live with you and battle/enter contests, but why not another human?

I do not believe that any being has a higher claim to life than another.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'd slap them in a face with a large trout. Its like human trafficking, you know. Except its not. I'd seriously slap them in the face and report them to the nearest Officer Jenny I could find.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Not Magikarp because you can go fish in the nearest pond and find one.

But I see no problem with selling Pokemon as long as it's legitimate. I'd buy a Pokemon if it was a Pokemon I wanted and the price was right. And I'd gladly sell off all those Pokemon I solely caught for Pokedex purposes :P

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    In real-like pokeworld, I think catching pokemon will be actually much, much harder. There is no problem catching and selling them for the right price, as long as the seller treat them right. Buying them is a good choice if you start your own adventure without being supported by a professor and doesn't have any pokemon to begin with.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Actually, no. I don't think selling Pokemon is also humane. It's like, um, what do you call it? Illegal imports? I dunno.

If they do sell Pokemon, I would not buy it since catching Pokemon is 33.3% is what being a Pokemon trainer is about. The others are Battling and Trading.

Ironically, I always buy a Magikarp for P500. Since I'm too lazy to catch one myself. XD!

Back