• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

illegal to sell games before "street date"

Ziraider

ಠ_ಠ Get Down with the Pokemon.
Years
  • I randomly we went to a local game store yesterday and seen they had pokemon white and black out, on the shelf. I asked if they were alrdy selling copies they said they were I bought it :) is there some kind of law where this is illegal?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah if a publisher finds a persistent case of a shop breaking date they can get really annoyed and probably do something like hold off the actual shipment until the last possible minute or someone will end up fining them, etc.

Years
  • If the shop is contractually bound to not sell the game before the release date, that is a breach of contract. The publisher/developer then has full rights to sue.

Ziraider

ಠ_ಠ Get Down with the Pokemon.
    Years
  • Ah, I wasn't sure I have been playing it since I bought the game and thought oh crap, thought maybe I could get in trouble for it.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • Them selling is possibly illegal, but you buying isn't. Even if it was illegal it wouldn't be worth nintendo's time to track you down.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    If Nintendo gets as desperate as the music industry, however...

*Shudder*

Old ladies beware.

Isn't changing the topic to the music industry moving you one branch closer though? I mean...

As far as video games, we go from Nintendo/Game Freak -> GameStop or w/e -> you
    but for music we go from Music Producers or iTunes or w/e -> you

I mean, it's your fault for doing stuff as far as music. It's not your fault if you're buying games released too early from a store.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • i don't think you will be prosecuted for buying a game before the release date.
    if it's there and you were going to get it anyway, then it's just like making a sale earlier.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • If the shop is contractually bound to not sell the game before the release date, that is a breach of contract. The publisher/developer then has full rights to sue.

This.

It becomes a civil case between the game company and the store that sold it. Potentially, another store (IE: Best Buy suing Target) could also sue as it injures their profits by another store selling it early but I've never heard of this happening and it would be very hard to prove.

It's not illegal in the sense that there's some federal law of "Thou shalt not sell video games before their release date." It's illegal in that the store is breaking a written agreement with the game company which usually comes with the game boxes.

NatureKeeper

If they signed a paper, they cannot sell anything before release date, or else they can get sued.

Back