• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I'm replaying BW1 and having fun with talking NPCs

XXTheMichelXX

TheBirdKeeper
Years
    • Age 22
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I know its not that important or valued thing of Pokémon but would like to discuss about it. I just want to ask do you like them or whether other Pokémon games have that too? Nor saying Game Freak should focus on them.

I'm replaying BW1 and I find them quite fun to read. Probably because Unova games were more about people in Pokémon world.
    There are diversity of people street dancers, scientist, hikers saying different things. And even battle diagloges are fun to read. Some of them are funny and some are expressive.
    Like from Football Stadium, NPCs will say fun things about football and something related to them. There was a scientist near Forest I remember talked about a real scientific term.
    And oh..., I have so fond memories of talking and exploring Castelia City for the first time!
    Aside from talking, there NPCs who would play music if you talk to them.

What do you guys thing? Do other Pokémon games also have these? I don't remember.
    They can be pretty boring or telling known things.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Yeah, there's plenty of fun NPCs in the older Pokemon games, but I'd have to say Unova has the most diverse ones. But, the Alola games have a lot, too, that differ.

Castelia City had a lot of cool NPCs running through the streets, though, that was really unique and only really something that happened in Unova. I really wish other Pokemon games would have a bustling city with NPCs running to and from work.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've actually never noticed that. As much as I like games with good world building; Pokemon was always the exception where I focused more on making up my own story instead of following what the games gave me.

Maybe I should take a closer look next time I play through one of the older games...

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've liked some of the British-isms in SwSh:
    - "...putting the cart before the Rapidash"
    - "mate"

...of course once I started writing this my mind went blank!

EDIT:

- Sonia, in the Sordward / Shielbert episode "Things are a right proper mess!"
    - Piers and Marnie's use of "Oi!"

Also, I really like that people actually refer to you as Champion in this game. I kinda brushed it off as limitations of the early games, but it was probably BW where I really thought there should be more reference to the fact that - unlike Emerald where you merely awaken Rayquaza, or Platinum where it all happens inside the Distortion World and otherwise people just see Team Galactic as Rocket-level thugs who escalated into lake-bombing before disbanding - you are quite publicly named by N, as well as himself, as a new legendary hero...and have the dragon to prove it!
    (May as well reiterate at the end of that rant that Marlon in B2W2 sucks too - they have a goddamn flying pirate ship powered by an enslaved legendary that freezes an entire city, but you're cool? Your predecessors showed up for the fight man).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Unova had some really fun NPC dialogue - I feel like I remember it being the most fun to talk to everyone, whereas I hardly remember dialogue from most other games. Seeing NPCs in Castelia have barely any interest in talking cause they're in a rush was super realistic and added a lot of flavor to the game, especially as someone originally from NYC myself.

I also liked this one:

I'm replaying BW1 and having fun with talking NPCs

Back