• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm thinking about getting a goldfish

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    ,but I'm afraid he'll die rather quickly.

We've already had a pet thread so...

Does the prospect of failure or sadness keep you from doing things?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Yes, but not a lot of things. I'm not really one to let emotions govern my actions, but I didn't continue with tennis into college because I was afraid I wasn't going to be good enough. Although, I'm kind of glad I didn't because I'm not sure if I would have had the time for it.

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    Guess you could say... if it dies... it'll be flush'd down the toilet.

Depends on what the thing is. If it's some kind of failure that'll negatively impact me in different ways, I'll probably avoid said situation. If I've got nothing to lose besides failing then I'd push myself to try and succeed if it's something that I truly want to achieve. If I fail but my life is still normal and stable besides that, what's the problem, really?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I guess without realizing it, this thread applies so much more to my life than just shopping for goldfish, as you guys bring up rejection and other different perspectives.

Guess you could say... if it dies... it'll be flush'd down the toilet.
    If I was able to Like posts, this would be one of them.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Ugh, yes. I was making a fatal mistake in my past that I don't want myself to do any kind of failure anymore, and I'm trying to do my very best as I can to avoid that. When I'm sad or making mistakes, these feelings affects my activities everywhere, and I'm unsure should I do this or that because of it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah. I'm rather afraid of becoming sad or disappointed, so I often decide against not taking chances. I'd want to get a dog or cat actually, but I'm afraid I'd grow tired of it or not have enough time or even money to take care of it. I'd want to pack a bag and travel around the world, but I'm afraid I'd get lost or mugged or worse.

Aurora2698

Unofficial Semicolon Queen
    Years
  • I'm not very good at taking loss unless I've orchestrated it myself or can see it coming from a mile away; sudden rejections or setbacks hit me hard as I haven't had the time to prepare for them and thus know the consequences. This is why I would never be able to own a pet; I would be aware of its mortality and I would be forever fretting about its chances of death - and when the time came, I would be completely and utterly emotionally helpless. So yes, the chance of loss does stop me from doing many, many things in life which I'm probably missing out on but don't chase anyway.​

Sirfetch’d

It is situational really. If I know that there is a high possibility of failure that would have negative affects on others around me if I did indeed fail, I will avoid taking that risk. On the other hand, if the outcome regardless if I fail or succeed will only affect me, I will go through with it. I am a person who likes to take risks is I can.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    It really depends on the situation and the potential result. If there's a better chance than not that it'll go badly, then why try? However, if I think it's worth the risk, I'll go for it anyway. Even if it doesn't end the way I want it to, perhaps something good will eventually come of it. Besides, where's the fun in life if you don't take some risks from time to time? [:

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm someone who is excited about the future, worries about the present, and longs for the past. Because of that, the prospect of failure or sadness in the future doesn't really prevent me from doing anything. I'm also of the opinion that this whole thing we call life is actually a dream and none of this, ultimately matters. On the other hand, I also believe that we should generally live life unexpectedly to the fullest and enjoy it by satisfying our whims and desires.

Back