• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improve-a-Pokémon (Suggest stat spreads for Fire/Fighting Arcanine now!)

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Since the Pokedex classifies Arcanine as the "Legendary" Pokemon, why not give it Sacred Fire? Then it won't have to deal with the recoil of Flare Blitz anymore, increasing its longevity.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I wonder. Looking at Arcanine, we come to realize that it's a UU mon. Not the best UU mon, but still good enough to warant a spot in said tier. What I wanna say is, that maybe, it doesn't need too much in order to become better in what it does.

The two most prominent sets are its offensive and its defensive set. Making it better, basically means making both of its sets better and maybe add something new that gives it another use.

I personally think that in order to make its offensive set better, it doesn't even need a better ability. Just give it more speed and better offensive stats, so it doesn't lack in comparism to mons like Entei. 95 Speed just isn't all too impressive, anymore. Also, Sacret Fire is a nice offensive move that would fit it quite well.

As for its defensive set...that's a lot more tricky. You can't really change much in terms of ability, as Intimidate is pretty much what allows it to go defensive in the first place. Well, Morning Sun and Will-o-Wisp (another situation where Sacret Fire could be interchangable) also play a role. Making Morning Sun better would be a nice start.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    The poll is set up! While I said that we wouldn't be doing type changes due to the GT's time restrictions, I'm willing to implement them into the poll considering there haven't been many move suggestions to complicate things. If we vote for a new typing I'm willing to consider moving this event out of GT so that we can reconsider giving it more moves (e.g. more STAB moves to take advantage of the new typing).

Years
  • Wolf convinced me Magic Guard would be ok, considering the choices. :P I was leaning on the fence about a Fire/Fighting type though.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Magic Guard and Fire/Fighting w/ MG were tied, so I used an RNG to decide between the two. It chose Fire/Fighting! Please suggest new stat spreads Arcanine could have. Try to keep them balanced. Also, I'll consider opening a separate thread in Battling & Team Building later for move additions.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • 90/110/80/100/80/95 (555 total) - Current stats

Speedwise, I'd love to say 112 to outspeed Thundurus, but we can't make it as fast as a fat kitten (Purugly), can we? It really doesn't gain any benefit from outspeeding 110s, as they are basically all resist both or are immune to 1 of his STABs or are useless in OU. What it really gets from that speed tier is outspeeding MGross and Gengar. Outspeeding 108s gets it over the four cavaliers, allowing it to beat non-scarf Keldeo variants. I'm going to go with 110 for now, as a flaming dog should be able to run as fast as a mouse, right? No? Whatever.

110 attack currently allows it to OHKO or 2HKO most top things that don't resist all of its attacks (Jolly LO set). Offensive Talons are an OHKO, Heatrans that don't invest in Defense are an OHKO, Clefable and Rotom-W are 2HKOes (usually). Skarmory is just under an OHKO, but Sturdy is a thing anyway. You can guess Scizor and Ferrothorn's fate (although the recoil and passive damage from killing a Ferro might KO Arcanine). Tank Garchomp is a problem, as is Landorus. But it's nothing I'd be too worried about. Plus, 120 didn't even make a huge difference in my calcs. I'll say Leave it at 110.

As far as defenses are concerned, I would move some of its split stats (especially Special) into HP. This means he can take more recoil damage before going splat. Without calcing anything, I'd say throw 15 SpDef (leaving him with 65) and 5 Def (75 left) into HP, conveniently leaving us with yet another 110. This emphasizes the glass canon archetype while not making it kill itself every 5 seconds.

Lastly, 555 is a great total, so everything we put into Speed is coming out of SpAtk.

Final Stats (subject to change after I do some calcs) - 110/110/75/85/65/110 (Total 555)

Again, these are glass canon stats. If we WANT defensive RK9, then go ahead and do whatever you want.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I'll continue this in the Battling & Team Building forum, but feel free to use this thread until the GT forum closes.

Back