• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Inaccuracy concerning Ash in the Pokemon Anime

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2016
    Hey guys,
    First time poster, long time browser.

Just had a quick little question concerning the anime adaption. This is something that has been bothering me for a long time, and I figured that some of you could help put an end to my many sleepless nights.

So Ash is supposed to be 10 years old throughout a majority of the anime. (I realize that he turns 11 in the latest series, however this is not my point). I researched this, and apparently there are 900+ episodes of the Pokemon anime. Given the fact that there are 365 days in a year, this would mean that Ash should technically be 13 years old, give or take. This assumption however, excludes the fact that in many Pokemon episodes we see a clear passing of time in terms of day to night, such as in the season 1 episode "Charmander The Stray Pokemon", in which Ash rescues Charmander at night, and nurses him back to health before morning. This could mean that Ash has the potential to be 13+ years old, yet in the Sun And Moon Anime he is only 11.

I'd welcome any feedback on this.

Years
  • There's a video somewhere detailing how old he'd realistically be, but I don't remember what it's called or who posted it. Either way, I honestly think it's best not to really think about his age and just try to enjoy his journeys.

Also, where do people keep getting the idea that Ash is now 11 in S/M?

Snivy88

Hello Everyone ^^
    Years
  • Oh this. Ash is pretty much always been 10, because it's to target smaller kids to see a protagonist similar to their age. I'm surprised Sun and Moon made it 11, but I'm glad because before BW anime, we didn't know his definite age. BW literally started with 'And 10 year old Ash'

TBH I just watched Jwittz's video XD

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • There's a video somewhere detailing how old he'd realistically be, but I don't remember what it's called or who posted it. Either way, I honestly think it's best not to really think about his age and just try to enjoy his journeys.

Also, where do people keep getting the idea that Ash is now 11 in S/M?

Because according to the demo, you have to be 11 to take on the Island Challenge. And Ash is taking the island challenge, so people think he is 11.

I for one think he is older than 10, other than in BW and Kanto. For me in the XYZ anime, there is no way he could still be 10 by the way he acted.

I think he aged between Kanto and Unova, but then was reset in Unova because it was a reset for the saga. They never said he was 10 in anything up until Unova. Which was a soft reset.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Ash is stated as 10 in the SM saga.

So either he finally ages (yes!) or the customs/plot bends itself to accommodate him (boo).

I expect the latter. Tapu Koko giving Ash the Z-ring will convince Hala that Ash has earned the right to compete in the Island Challenge.

Guest123_x1

For the longest time, I thought that Ash would always be 10 no matter how long it had been since he left Pallet Town on the very first episode. Since Alola's minimum age for island trials is 11, Ash would have had to do an incredible amount of work to get through seven (counting the Orange Islands) regions and Leagues in such a short amount of time. (Even if Ash had started out for the very first time at age 10 in Unova, it still would be a painstaking effort to get through that and Kalos alone in just one year.) But with that in mind, it's not much different than the "cartoon characters don't age" mantra we so often hear about.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    The characters make references from time to time about years going by and traveling together for so long so I don't think his journey takes place all in the same year.

Back