• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull [may include spoilers]

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    Hey I'm so excited for the new Indiana Jones movies!!! I just watched the original trilogy on the Sci-Fi channel just now and I'm so psyched for the new movie!!! Anyone else? Midnight release in 4 days!!!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I, for some reason, feel like expressing my doubts about the new Indy movie.

1) George Lucas--Let's face it, the guy doesn't know how to revive a series. Phantom Menace and Clones were simply terrible. And, I don't know whether it's a blessing or a curse that he didn't write the script.

2) CG--If there's one thing that would ruin the atmosphere of an Indy movie, it's computer graphics. The reason why most of the original films' visual effects and stunts looked so realistic were because they were real. In the 80's, the only way that they could show fire in a film was by using actual fire. The Indiana Jones movies were supposed to be retro and nostalgic, and I can't picture George Lucas not trying to make them too modern.

3) The Plot--I don't know about anyone else, but when I first heard about "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" I thought it was a joke. I think the best Indy movies were the ones where he focused on biblical artifacts and not wacky cults (which, I'm sure, is the only thing that can come from a title like that.)

One thing that I think will be good about them is how Karen Allen and Harrison Ford will be reprising their previous roles. They are both very talented actors, and I will see the movie just because they're so awesome.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2008
    i agree with icomeanon6, but me, being the MASSIVE Indiana Jones fan that i am, still highly anticipates the newest addition the the series

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I, for some reason, feel like expressing my doubts about the new Indy movie.

1) George Lucas--Let's face it, the guy doesn't know how to revive a series. Phantom Menace and Clones were simply terrible. And, I don't know whether it's a blessing or a curse that he didn't write the script.

2) CG--If there's one thing that would ruin the atmosphere of an Indy movie, it's computer graphics. The reason why most of the original films' visual effects and stunts looked so realistic were because they were real. In the 80's, the only way that they could show fire in a film was by using actual fire. The Indiana Jones movies were supposed to be retro and nostalgic, and I can't picture George Lucas not trying to make them too modern.

3) The Plot--I don't know about anyone else, but when I first heard about "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" I thought it was a joke. I think the best Indy movies were the ones where he focused on biblical artifacts and not wacky cults (which, I'm sure, is the only thing that can come from a title like that.)

One thing that I think will be good about them is how Karen Allen and Harrison Ford will be reprising their previous roles. They are both very talented actors, and I will see the movie just because they're so awesome.

1) I honestly didn't think Menace was that bad... Clones was horrible, but it was a necessary transition between the two. I think the real place he went wrong with the first two was trying so hard to strike parallels between events in the trilogies. And then when he finally realized that we just wanted a great story, it was too late and Anikan Skywalker was a douche and Natlie Portman just didn't look hot anymore...

2)Uh... Lucas did some "CG" in Raiders, like when they opened the Ark... that was about 5 minutes of animation that made the movie. Although the guy's head exploding was done at ILM. But I agree with you, too much CG might ruin the movie, the roughness of the originals were what made it.

3)Lucas Originally wanted to call the 4th one "indiana jones and the men from outer space" so that might give away what's going to happen here. He's already thinking about a 5th movie where LeBeouf is the main character and Ford plays the Connery role.

All in all, I'm glad Karen Allen is back, i really like her character too. I really hope Lebeoff's character is their love child, because why would you bring her back if he's not? I have nothing but high hopes for this movie.

On a side note, has anyone watched the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones? I'm tempted to buy and watch that series... but without Harrison Ford as Indy, I don't know how good it would be.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    1) I honestly didn't think Menace was that bad... Clones was horrible, but it was a necessary transition between the two. I think the real place he went wrong with the first two was trying so hard to strike parallels between events in the trilogies. And then when he finally realized that we just wanted a great story, it was too late and Anikan Skywalker was a douche and Natlie Portman just didn't look hot anymore...

2)Uh... Lucas did some "CG" in Raiders, like when they opened the Ark... that was about 5 minutes of animation that made the movie. Although the guy's head exploding was done at ILM. But I agree with you, too much CG might ruin the movie, the roughness of the originals were what made it.

3)Lucas Originally wanted to call the 4th one "indiana jones and the men from outer space" so that might give away what's going to happen here. He's already thinking about a 5th movie where LeBeouf is the main character and Ford plays the Connery role.

All in all, I'm glad Karen Allen is back, i really like her character too. I really hope Lebeoff's character is their love child, because why would you bring her back if he's not? I have nothing but high hopes for this movie.

On a side note, has anyone watched the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones? I'm tempted to buy and watch that series... but without Harrison Ford as Indy, I don't know how good it would be.

1) Agreed, new Anakin = douche! XD

2) Seeing as Raiders was made in 1981, it couldn't have been computer animation. Check out this Wikipedia link and scroll down to the section on the special effects. It mentioned something about the spirits being "shot underwater."

3) I'm not sure, but I think it was Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars, which is even worse. xP As for a fifth movie, I wouldn't even watch it if Ford wasn't the lead character. LeBeoff just doesn't have Ford's excellent charisma.

As for the "love child" possibility, I can think of a case where LeBeoff's character is unrelated to Marion. They could make a pretty funny scene if Marion was under the impression that Indy hadn't gotten very far with anyone besides herself.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    Well i put "CG" in quotes because it's more of an animation thing, but the spirits were too good to be animated. ILM is really good at what they do, even before the went CGI. Like in temple of doom when you see them on the ledge of the cliff when water is pouring out of the cave. What I'm saying is they're not short of the special effects, but Lucas has said he didn't want to rely too much on the CGI, and Ford said he did even more of his own stunts.

And yeah the Saucer Men from Mars was what i was thinking of, i just couldn't remember it correctly. And I'll wait and see how well LeBeouf does in Kingdom before i decide if i'd see the next one or not, if there will be one.

Finally as for LeBeouf's characters:
    Spoiler:

at least that's what the wikipedia article says, so it might not be completely accurate.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Oh god i hope what your saying about LeBeouf isn't true, i was put off watching this one because i found out he was in it, everything he has been in has been bad, very bad, and he is just overall an extremly poor actor, im hoping that this one woun't but im only going to watch it because i loved Raiders of the Lost Ark & The Last Crusade (I could never get into Temple of Doom), and i think Harrison Ford is at his best as Indiana Jones and Han Solo (never liked him in anything else), and if LeBeouf is the main character in the 5th one (if they do one) i will not be going to watch it.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    Actually what I said was flawed apparently.

Here's what Time magazine decided to tell me about LeBeouf's character without saying spoiler warning first...
    Spoiler:

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I'm seeing this on Thursday after school though I have no idea what it's going to be about. I've completely forgotten the plot for the previous Indy movies too. -.-

Sounds like it should be good though.

Back