• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indie Games Suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Just because they intended to rip-off already well known and successful video games doesn't make it okay. It's not like you can call it a homage when they are blatant rip-offs and poorly imitated carbon copies of more established and popular video game franchises. It's just an excuse to be less creative which is supposed to be one of the main attractions of indie games in the first place. And that's why all of those games you mentioned fail at being creative.

I bet the only reason these indie game devs don't get sued is because they have no money to take in the first place. {XD}
    My friends and I don't quite understand your logic. By this, you're implying that Gainix should sue Guillermo del Toro for ripping off Neon Genesis Evangelion with Pacific Rim, despite the film paying tribute to 60's-70's mech animes and Kaiju films, or Infogames should sue Capcom for ripping off Alone in the Dark with Resident Evil, even though they ended up trying to follow RE's success rather than sue. So tell me, what exactly are Minecraft, Cave Story, and Amnesia ripping off?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Lego, Metroid & Elder Scrolls.
    I knew you were going to mention LEGO for your response, but wow....... just, wow. How is a first-person survival horror game where you have nothing to defend yourself a rip-off of a first-person western RPG where you can use medieval weapons and magic? I can't seem to take you and your argument against indie games seriously anymore.

Outlier

I knew you were going to mention LEGO for your response, but wow....... just, wow. How is a first-person survival horror game where you have nothing to defend yourself a rip-off of a first-person western RPG where you can use medieval weapons and magic? I can't seem to take you and your argument against indie games seriously anymore.

Oh yeah? Well I can't take your opinions seriously anymore either. Seeming as you appear to be so indie-pendent on bad and unoriginal video games that you can't even handle me criticizing them. Be reasonable please. This is a civil discussion I'm trying to have here. No need for personal insults! Such rudeness. -_-

Years
    Lego, Metroid & Elder Scrolls.

Okay. I'll try to break this down as logically as I can

Lego vs Minecraft

While the toy Lego is indeed similar to minecraft in the fact that it has blocks and you can build things, Being that this is a forum based around Video Games, I'm going to assume you were referring to the Lego Games. Now I don't have an absolute knowledge of every Lego game in existence, but when most people mention lego games, they are referring to the series of Video Games that are co-op beat-em-up's that feature a famous series (Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc), or the Wii U title Lego City Undercover, which is a open-world game with a similar concept as the previous titles. Minecraft is a game that would be best described as a survival sim that also allows for a creative mode to turn the world into whatever it is you feel like. They are vastly different in almost every sense.

Here is some gameplay footage from one of the first big Lego Games Lego: Star Wars

Here's some of Minecraft.

The Elder Scrolls vs Amnesia: The Dark Decent

The Elder Scrolls is a First Person RPG that allows players to explore vast, realized, fantastic worlds, whilst on an epic quest to do things with stuff (Kill Dragons, Destroy Gates, whatever you did in Morrowind), while having plentiful sidequests and skills to keep you immersed and or entertainted.

Followed by Amnesia: The Dark Decent.

A First Person survival horror tale which deliberately wants you to feel closed in and cramped, basing it's basic mechanics on being afraid of the dark, and going insane, all while being chased by creatures that as far as I know, look nothing like anything every found in an Elder Scrolls Game.

Here's about the closest that Elder Scrolls gets to Amnesia.

and for your review, some Amnesia Gameplay,

Metroid vs Cave Story

Ok, you've got a fair point there. These games are rather similar in a lot of ways. However, it must be noted that Metroid has been copied before by AAA Developers as well. Alot of the later Castlevania games follow a formula very similar to Metroid. In my opinion, much more so then Cave Story ever does.

Outlier

^ I'm not clicking on any of those links as they could contain viruses.

It's not just other video games that these indie devs steal from either, they rip-off movies too. For example if you don't see how The Stanley Parable completely rips-off The Matrix then you probably haven't even seen The Matrix.

TY

Oh yeah? Well I can't take your opinions seriously anymore either. Seeming as you appear to be so indie-pendent on bad and unoriginal video games that you can't even handle me criticizing them. Be reasonable please. This is a civil discussion I'm trying to have here. No need for personal insults! Such rudeness. -_-

Civil, but pointless imo.

Okay i get that you dont like indie games, im not gonna try to convince you to like them, but that doesnt mean all of them are instant crap and rip-off's from other games.

Terraria for instance is a great indie game (if its still a indie game O_O)
    It adds RPG elements and has a lot of stuff to do, though it looks like a game that could have been made in the 90's
    Graphics arent really something you should be worried about, and if so, there are always the AAA failures with great graphics and movies.

These type of games have potential, they mess around with stuff big titles wouldnt even dare thinking of. That the graphics are utterly crap is just a small downside, but as long as the mechanics are good and the game feels fun to play... heck who needs good graphics.

Outlier

MY THREAD IS NOT POINTLESS JUST BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME! THIS THREAD WAS MEANT FOR HEALTHY DISCUSSION NOT SNIDE REMARKS TOWARDS OTHER USERS! >:(

Besides if all I asked is what is the appeal of indie games and none of you could tell me then I guess that means I was right all along and thus I declare myself winner of this thread. Mods feel free to close this one up, I'm done here.

*walks away from thread like a boss*

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's not just other video games that these indie devs steal from either, they rip-off movies too. For example if you don't see how The Stanley Parable completely rips-off The Matrix then you probably haven't even seen The Matrix.

I wasn't going to get into this thread because I've played very few indie games, if any, but then I saw this and wanted to make one little comment:

Isn't almost everything technically a rip-off of something else?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Well, I'm going to lock this one by request. Mmm, it's okay to share your opinion because we have different opinions, but, everyone, let's try to be more civil next time about it, yeah? c:

Introvert, if you want this to be unlocked, feel free to contact me!

Indie Games Suck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back