• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Intel Core i7 Question

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
Years
  • First post here in years. heh. Shows that I still trust you guys for help!
    Anyway I have a custom built PC which employs an Intel Core i7 950 Processor which is supposed to be clocked at 3.07 GHz. However through the Systems panel in Windows 7 and About this Mac in Mac OS X. It is only showing to be clocked at 2.02 GHz. It also appears that way in the bootup screen. Is there something that I'm missing? Why isn't it showing it's at 3.07 GHz anywhere?

Years
  • Sometimes the OS's System Info screen shows the scaled frequency (speed drop at idle), rather than the proper stock speed. The best way to tell is to open a program that will force your CPU to work and consistently run at the maximum speed, such as Prime95, then check the speed as rated by CPU-Z. That's for Windows, btw.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Sometimes the OS's System Info screen shows the scaled frequency (speed drop at idle), rather than the proper stock speed. The best way to tell is to open a program that will force your CPU to work and consistently run at the maximum speed, such as Prime95, then check the speed as rated by CPU-Z. That's for Windows, btw.

Oh, and by the way, I think Windows 7 almost always shows the maximum true speed (this is true for my desktop and laptop - it never shows the low-power-state speed - wonder whether it does for other stuff. I know Windows XP and before shows the current speed at the time of opening System Properties, but the behaviour seems to have changed since Vista for CPU and Vista SP1 for memory.). Since he is running Windows 7 as one of the operating systems, that'd be pretty strange.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway to see if something is amiss. If the clock speed goes to maximum, the OS is at fault; if it sticks, you're in for troubleshooting.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • The About This mac dialog is bound to be wrong anyway, unless you've edited it to be correct or the CPU is the same as the CPU found in an iMac (which I feel is not the case since iMac i7s are only 3.4GHz i7 quads)
    I agree with Archer though about using CPU-z to get the real measure of the speed the CPU is really clocking. (I assume that the CPU is set to the 3.07GHZ within the BIOS and that it is still set to that)

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
    Years
  • The About This mac dialog is bound to be wrong anyway, unless you've edited it to be correct or the CPU is the same as the CPU found in an iMac (which I feel is not the case since iMac i7s are only 3.4GHz i7 quads)
    I agree with Archer though about using CPU-z to get the real measure of the speed the CPU is really clocking. (I assume that the CPU is set to the 3.07GHZ within the BIOS and that it is still set to that)

It's amazing to see that you're still on here! Anyway, Final Cut Pro X still flies so I'm fine. It was more of a curiosity thing! Thanks!

Back