• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] interesting ideas for battle mechanics?

Canal_do_Lontra

Oshawott uses Razor Shell
    Years
    hello guys, what new battle mechanic do you want so much to see in a game? let's talk about new battle mechanics and use your imagination,
    in old games we got:
    Gen II: Dark/Steel Types
    Gen III: Abilities, Natures, Double Battles
    Gen IV: Physical/Special Split
    Gen V: Triple and Rotation Battles
    Gen VI: Fairy Type and Mega Evolution
    Gen VII: Z-Moves
    Gen VIII: Dynamax

so, what new idea did you get? Did you think your idea interesting? Put below replying my message.

Last edited:
    Years
    Some of my favorite battle mechanics that I've been messing around with is Quad, Quintuple, and Sextuple battles. With 4, 5, or 6 mons on each side at a time. Battle's get extremely fun, and there's so many new strategies you can pull off with your entire team on the field at a time.

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
    Some of my favorite battle mechanics that I've been messing around with is Quad, Quintuple, and Sextuple battles. With 4, 5, or 6 mons on each side at a time. Battle's get extremely fun, and there's so many new strategies you can pull off with your entire team on the field at a time.

this is really nice mechanic

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2022
    I've always wanted like an ability buff? Like abilitizers or something? Basically adding on a secondary super ability to the one ability you already have.
    (We do kinda have this with the Calyrexs)

Years
    • Seen today
    In my head I've been playing around with the concept of adding some kind of meter that you can build during battle. And once the meter is full, you can unleash some sort of buff or attack. The way Game Freak has incorporated their latest gimmicks (Megas, Z-Moves, Dynamax) could have been balanced a lot more if you actually had to BUILD UP to using them, instead of being able to immediately hit the button to activate them.

The way you build the meter would depend on the type of mechanic it's linked too, though.

I've also been thinking about how a meter system could help reduce unwanted RNG in battles. Like say, instead of critical hits being randomized, they were directly tied to a meter instead. So normally, attacks would never deal critical hits. However, once you build the meter to full, your next attack is guaranteed to always be a critical hit. Then the meter resets after use, and you have to build it again to score another critical. Held items, moves, and abilities that boost crit chance would be retooled so that they build the crit meter faster when in use.

This way, you can still have crits in the game and build exciting strategies around crits. And counter play to defense-boost spamming would still exist. But now it would actually be within the player's control, as well as giving the opponent opportunity to defend against it, rather than it being a complete dice roll strat that neither player can effectively play around.

Years
    That actually sounds really interesting and something definitely worth pursuing. Would love to see that in place during battles

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
    what do you think about something with armor mechanic? I think that it is a interesting mechanic for game freak make.

Tms_tzzn

Fire Type Pokemon Appreciator.
    Years
    what do you think about something with armor mechanic? I think that it is a interesting mechanic for game freak make.

What about a choice menu that makes the Pokemon "protect", "attack", or "stay normal"? I mean, some kind of "pose", you know. When "protect mode" is the current, the Defense, Special Defense and PS is multiplied by 1.1, but the Attack, Special Attack, and Speed are divided by 1.1, or vice-versa.

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
    What about a choice menu that makes the Pokemon "protect", "attack", or "stay normal"? I mean, some kind of "pose", you know. When "protect mode" is the current, the Defense, Special Defense and PS is multiplied by 1.1, but the Attack, Special Attack, and Speed are divided by 1.1, or vice-versa.

it's really an very interesting thing, probbably we will implement that thing in our fan game, thanks for the suggestion.

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2023
    fusion evolution:
    if you have 2 NFE pokemon in your party they can fusion evolve into something stronger. kind of like mega evolution.
    downside is that it takes 2 slots in your team.

Back