• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

International Baccalaureate?

Nomaiya

The Disappearing Act
    Years
    Well, I need to pick my college courses for next year soon, and one of the courses offered is the International Baccalaureate Diploma. I've heard it's more popular in the US and other countries than it is here in the UK, so I was wondering - is there anyone out there who is doing/has done IB, and would like to share their opinion on the course? Please?

Some people have said it's pretty stressful, but it seems like a good option for getting into vet school... |:
    So yeah, anyone?

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2018
    I'm doing it. It can't do it yet though; I have to wait until next year.
    But from what I heard from my bro, depending on what you are good at, some classes are very difficult(like language arts..AAHHH!!....that class scares me). There is usually a ton of homework but rarely an overwhelming amount if you don't procrastinate (who does not procrastinate, lol). It isn't too bad though...or maybe my bro is just really smart.

Hiraku

Resident Italian Cutie
    Years
    I am currently in an IB school. It is fun, yet VERY challenging. We have to do alot of community service. Many people don't talk about IB, when I stay here again I will attend Broughton High School which is also IB. Just try to have fun with it. If a 7th grader can, YOU can. https://eastmillbrookms.wcpss.net/modules/news/ GO COUGARS!

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I was going to do the IB this year, but last year (when I signed up for pre-IB), I realized that I didn't need it and I was planning on going to University in my country. I slightly regret that I did that because I'm now thinking of possibly going down to the States for a College education, but I'm pretty sure that if I pass my SATs I can make it in the school. The IB would make my chances much higher, but it isn't necessary if you plan on going to University or College outside of the country. It helps a lot, but it isn't necessary. And you can imagine how much it helps if you do it and decide to stay in your own country for education.

But, on the flipside, it's a hell of a lot of work and I know a lot of friends of mine that took the IB are quite frustrated with the amount of homework they have each night. I'm kind of glad I didn't take it, but I slightly regret it too.

If you're up to it, I definitely say you should do it. If it sounds like you wouldn't enjoy it, then don't do it. Unless you're really committed.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm hoping to do this aswell ^^ it's a good qualification so I'm thinking that all the hard work will pay off.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    IB? Been there, done that. As has already been said, IB is a huge leg up if you want to study abroad. Not only do you get the language skills and an internationally recognized diploma, but there's also a lot of valuable contacts you can make. IB teachers are primarily highly qualified people, often internationally recognized, and as such they have connections to all kinds of places. People from my class got interviews at really high-end universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Harward, etc.) with teacher recommendation, and a number of them got accepted to boot. Plus, there are organized information seminars by various universities for all graduating year IBers so you should have no shortage of potential study places to choose from. A number of schools will also quite openly favor IB students in their application handling (bonus points for entry exam, reserved spots etc.) and it's generally something of a cool club within academic circles, especially now that the whole 'international cooperation' aspect is so trendy in many lines of work.

Even if you don't want to go abroad, though, (I don't) I'd still actually vouch for it simply because IB is a completely different level of education. I don't know how it is in your country, but over here we have a huge level gap between high school and university that can reel up and bite you hard if you're unprepared. IB, on the other hand, is far closer to university level and lays down a lot of the principles and work habits you have to adopt to make it there; it's a steep learning curve, but it's far preferable to tackle it now (when you still have ample support for it) than later, when you'll have to do it all on your own.

Finally, and what really clinched the decision for me, there's the staff. This will obviously differ from school to school, but where I went, the IB teachers were simply in a completely different league than their national stream counterparts. Not only did they know their subjects better, they also made it a lot more interesting, and I'm the kind of person who needs a motivating teacher to really learn something, so the moment that entry interview got somewhere I realized that the IB was definitely worth shooting for. Despite my utter frustration with some of the work (I'm terrible with deadlines; IB treats them like God) I have to say that if I was back to making that decision again, I'd definitely want to go.

So yes, based on my experiences I'd definitely recommend that you give the IB a try at the very least if you have any intention of doing academic work or heading on to university. Going to that entrance exam won't take that much of your time and it may help you determine whether it's the school for you or not. It's intense, but as long as you're prepared to put in the work you can gain so much from it and even have some fun while you're at it.

Last edited:

Nomaiya

The Disappearing Act
    Years
    Thanks for such in-depth answers, guys (: I don't know anyone personally who is taking/has taken IB, so it's good to get the opinions of people, and not just the opinion of my college prospectus.

The only thing that bothers me is that the college I'm looking at has only just introduced the IB course, so I don't know how experienced the tutors will be, and there will probably be some 'teething problems'. And then there's the fact that there's so much homework, which would probably stress me out like nobody's business. Buuut, like they say, nothing worthwhile is easy (: Thank you Alter Ego, you've practically convinced me to take it - it's nice to hear (or read) the opinion of somebody who's already done the course, and it proves that it isn't impossible like certain websites (*cough* IBscrewed *cough*) would have me believe.

Merci beaucoup xD

Back