• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Emergency!!!!! Stop ACTA!!!!!

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Because some of you seem to be failing...
    PIRACY IS NOT STEALING.

Let's look at piracy:
    1. Illegal acquisition of files.
    2. Does not remove the original source.
    3. Results in loss of theoretical revenue.

Let's look at thievery:
    1. Illegal acquisition of stuffs (Or files, if it's cybercrime, I guess...)
    2. Removes the original item. As in, the owner no have it no more.
    3. Results in loss of items, and the money used to replace the item.

So, all piracy is doing is "taking away potential gain."

You know what that means?

Put down those library books, you horrific bast-ILLES, you're all literary pirates. All of you. You could potentially be paying the company for that book.

Plug your ears, all of you peoples with friends who like music, because you are all...

PIRATES, YO HO!

Why? You could be paying the artists companies for that song.

And don't even get me STARTED on lending your friends movies or games. You villains are the WORST OF ALL.

See what I meaaaan?

It's illegal, only because nobody has said, "Lulz, outlaw this and you gotta outlaw libraries, reading in bookstores, listening to other's music, lending movies, etc."

It's because "New technology is evil, hurrrrrrrr..." that this is even going on.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    DOWN WITH ACTA. THIS IS ********.

We Are Anonymous. We Are Legion. We Do Not Forgive. We Do Not Forget. ACTA Will Be Taken Down. Expect Us.

brb, spreading the word. This is ****ing ridiculous and it must be stopped dead on its tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    DOWN WITH ACTA. THIS IS ********.

We Are Anonymous. We Are Legion. We Do Not Forgive. We Do Not Forget. ACTA Will Be Taken Down. Expect Us.

brb, spreading the word. This is ****ing ridiculous and it must be stopped dead on its tracks.
    I think I need some of this after reading that. Anyway, let's keep the huge-text memes to a minimum. After all, this isn't an anonymous setting, so that one doesn't even apply.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    XD Sorry, I was just being silly and got a little carried away. D:

Anyways, I do hope Canada's sensible enough to see why this is wrong. It appears most Canadians are against it and stuff, but you never know. You can never be too careful, or too sure of where you stand. As far as I'm concerned governments are one of the main sources of Evil in its purest form. >_>;

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    I am studying the American Revolution in school currently, and I just want to say that ACTA has clearly forgotten what this country was made for. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happieness, that is what the internet is really about, that is what America is really about, ACTA, you are taking away our freedom of speech, our freedom of expression. They have forgotten why we are fighting this war on terror, this war is for freedom!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I support pretty much everything that everyone has said about this page about this topic.
    No, seriously. I'm guilty of downloading a few Pokemon ROMs for hacking purposes, and because I've never played them. For that, I am sorry. But I can't obtain Pokemon Yellow, and I can't afford Ruby... I understand that piracy is wrong, and that the creators of these valuble pieces of art deserve their money. But I just can't obtain some of the things I have any other way. I would get them legally, but... well, I don't have enough money, nor can I connect my Wii to the internet... Perhaps their piracy problems if they made the things they made a bit easier to obtain... Making an agency like the ACTA is dangerous, as it will inevitably become corrupt and ireversably damage the World Wide Web we know today. Besides, *Firestar* is right. It's a crime in itself that you only get 5-25 years for raping an innocent person, but get a 10-year sentance and/or a 10,000 dollar fine for downloading a song that you didn't even know was "illegal".

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Download everything now before ACTA goes into place, then hide it all. Smuggling and posession of illegal vidya gamez? NOT ON MY WATCH.

Seriously?

I wouldn't worry about it. Millions are rallying to get it revoked.

I personally buy CDs and borrow CDs. All my full albums came from an actual CD. Why should I waste money buying the same CD again just so I can put it on my iPod? That's not fair. I paid for the computer, the iPod, and the CD, so I'll put the music wherever the hell I feel like putting it.

Last edited:

Neo Duality

Waveform
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2011
    hahahahaha no

hahahahahahaha no.

things like these are meant to be taken lightly; there is no "internet emergency". as far as i'm concerned, this won't change my "e-life" in any significant way whatsoever.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    This thread is like a bunch of aimless souls fighting over a situation beyond their hand using an endless number of attempts at calling out memes and bullcrap.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Oh, great... there goes the ability to download anything off of the internet, pirated or no. There's no way they wouldn't abuse that power. Ah, the new millennium... such a GREAT eleven years, don't you think? [/sarcasm]

What's next? A bill to ban libraries? "Y-you could have BOUGHT that book! And you're reading it for free!" They're the exact same thing, you know. Except one is seen as 'good' and one is seen as 'bad'. Yes, Piracy is bad, but this attempt at stopping it is even worse.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys, but the ACTA has passed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6910AO20101002
    It still has to be ratified in each country.

hahahahahahaha no.

things like these are meant to be taken lightly; there is no "internet emergency". as far as i'm concerned, this won't change my "e-life" in any significant way whatsoever.
    You're lucky there are people like the EFF out there that do care; if everyone shared your attitude, 1984 would already be a reality. Attitudes like yours aren't helping matters at all. The best thing you can do is support groups like the EFF through whatever means possible.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    It still has to be ratified in each country.

You're lucky there are people like the EFF out there that do care; if everyone shared your attitude, 1984 would already be a reality. Attitudes like yours aren't helping matters at all. The best thing you can do is support groups like the EFF through whatever means possible.

This. I'm quite thankful for groups looking out for my interests. There's no way I can possibly stay informed on everything.

Also, 1984 is a great book. Everyone should read it.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    ... So, this is America-only? If so, then good. It'll take it a long time to ratify here.

But, really, Zeta Dimentio had a good point.

Back