• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Invincible Mightyena?

Years
    O.k. If you don't know yet, I LOVE Poochyena and Mightyena. Si in LeafGreen, here's my Mightyena:
    Mightyena
    Male
    Lv. 63 (So Far)
    Hardy Type
    Attacks:
    Bite
    Crunch
    Bite
    Swagger
    Take Down

Is this good or could I make my Mightyena better? (without TMs Plz!!!)

Empire

Lurking since 2008
    Years
    -You posted Bite twice-

Mightyena are weak to two types, Fighting & Bug. You might want to keep that in mind.

Mightyena's base stats aren't really the best with the highest being attack - 90. and the lowest being Sp.A & Sp.D with 60.
    Attack can range to a min of 216 and a max of 279. Which is good since you have all attacking moves. Keep it like that.
    What we need to focus on here is getting Mightyena's Defenses up. Give Mightyena calcium/etc. Or EV train it to Defense and possibly a boosted attack.

The moveset looks fine. For a FR/LG Game. If transferred to D/P then teach it Sucker Punch and Assurance.

Remember.
    Maximum stats are calculated with 252 EVs, IVs of 31, and a helpful nature
    Minimum stats are calculated with 0 EV's, IV's of 0, and a hindering nature.

That is all.
    - ES -

Years
    Crunch and Bite being in the same moveset is pointless, even in-game. You can't really improve it without the use of TMs, but Shadow Ball is an option, given that it's Physical in Gen III.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2024
    Don't give it any EVs in Defense. Give it 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed or something very similar to that. Even if you did stuff it with Defense then you'd either be too slow or too weak to do anything.

Notable moves are Howl, Hidden Power Fighting (TM11), Return (TM27), Shadow Ball (TM30), Body Slam (Emerald tutor), and Double-Edge (Emerald tutor). That's basically a total of 6 moves to choose from, and Hidden Power Fighting is already hard enough to get.

If you send it to Diamond or Pearl then it also gets physical Crunch, Sucker Punch, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, and Fire Fang. Its usable movepool nearly doubles, but it's still not really that good.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    In-game it really doesn't matter. You could own any game with a good leveled Pokemon that is semi-strong, without worrying about movesets/stats/EV's/whatever. But as stated above, Crunch and Bite are useless on the same moveset. Get rid of bite and replace it with some other move.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
    O.k. If you don't know yet, I LOVE Poochyena and Mightyena. Si in LeafGreen, here's my Mightyena:
    Mightyena
    Male
    Lv. 63 (So Far)
    Hardy Type
    Attacks:
    Bite
    Crunch
    Bite
    Swagger
    Take Down

Is this good or could I make my Mightyena better? (without TMs Plz!!!)

change move set,

new moves would be;

double team
    toxic
    mud slap
    hyper beam

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
    No way, Hyper Beam is a special move. that wouldnt do nothing.
    You Need physical attacks, not special moves. PHYSICAL. Because they do more damage with the Attack stat.

true but if you double team till you cant raise your evasion anymore then use toxic, the enemy will wear down; as they loose HP, they cant hit you, then you use mudslap to lower their accuracy. think about it? its a good strategy

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    true but if you double team till you cant raise your evasion anymore then use toxic, the enemy will wear down; as they loose HP, they cant hit you, then you use mudslap to lower their accuracy. think about it? its a good strategy

I think that strategy is good but not with hyper beam, just switch that out with crunch and that seems pretty good tome.

Years
    In game, you're best with Howl / Shadow Ball / Body Slam / Iron Tail. Honestly, it's just pathetic in 3rd Gen.
    Absol outclasses it completely - Even in 3rd Gen.

Last edited:

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    "Ninjayena"

Body Slam
    Sand Attack
    Hyper Beam
    Howl

First, use Sand attack x6 so your enemies can't aim, then use Howl(Stupidly, Mightyena can't learn Swords Dance form the Sevii Isles Tutor) x6.
    Now, you have a Max-powered Mightyena, against a foe, with 50% attack and Minimized Accuracy
    Now, just use Body Slam(30% Paralysis) until they drop
    If you are close to fainting, or you simply want to, fire off a Hyper Beam, and it's an almost sure OHKO

That one is more Invisible

If you want one with only Sweeping, try switching Sand attack with Crunch(the STAB may take out his bad SP. ATK) and Howl with Take Down(i don't like those Recoil Moves, except Volt Tackle)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Please avoid using Sand Attack at all costs. Absolutely worthless move. There is no reason to waste 6 turns trying to get your Pokemon to evade you opponent's attacks. That is a complete waste of time, and prevents your Pokemon from ending the battle with moves that will actually damage your opponent. Also keep in mind that even with 6 turns of Sand Attack, your opponent still has a 28.4% chance of its attack being successful.

As for Mightyena, it just isn't good enough to be "invincible". Of course, with that said, there isn't a single Pokemon in the game that can be either. Sadly though, it has a tough time just being effective. Your best bet would be to go the Choice Band route:

Mightyena @ Choice Band
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Iron Tail
    - Poison Fang
    - Return
    - Shadow Ball

Mightyena just doesn't have the stats and, more importantly, the moveset to be a very good Pokemon. I am not a fan of DPP, but I would think it would be at least a little better in that environment.

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
    in game that is a decent pokemon. just keep in mind the moveset switches people posted here. you want you moves to be able to cover your weaknesses so as a few people mentioned you don't need bite and crunch. bite is good if you want the flinch factor in game while losing some power. However I suggest crunch

Incidentally, guys its level 63 and raised in game. Chances are he didn't keep track of the evs enough to make reducing berries useful and going along with that, at such a high level I'm almost positive his evs are maxed.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That is the great thing about this game. Now that he has the knowledge of the proper nature, EV spread, and moveset, he can breed a new one.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Another Mightyena lover! lol Give it 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe and you need to use TMs for it to be good... o_O

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Eh well ingame Pokemon can really be anything and beat the game if they have coverage. So I recommend you get some moves that can hit Pokemon for neutral damage or SuperEffective.
    Crunch, Iron Tail, Howl, Body Slam. I think thats what Archer posted, but it is your best bet.

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    Frist, Bite is posted twice, second, in-game it's great Competitive, not so great. (I'm not an expert though, so ask someone else about it.)

Back