• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

iPods in class

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    If they don't take notice of the rules they should just be showed the door, Tutors shouldn't waste time on these who don't want to be there :)

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • School I go to now, iPods are most definitely allowed, maybe even encouraged because it's "you can listen to music.." for when we're given tasks and stuff. Or have nothing to do like in Study Hall. I kinda feel left out, I could use my phone but I want a new one and I don't have a line so it's kinda pointless and what's the point listening to music 24/7? xD

So yes, iPods in class work in this case. It makes the kids know when they can use it so they don't sneakily use it without permission. It's actually a really good system, though I've only experienced it for four days.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • How about some discipline? What ever happened to, you know, doing work in school? This crap is ridiculous. It's this pseudo new-age crap that basically says "kids want to goof off, maybe we should let them!" Yeah, if that's the case, let's just stop schooling altogether, it's not like they'd be missing out.

I say we reinstate corporal punishment. Kids should be listening in class. If they're not listening, they need a good smack to keep them listening, not a music player.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    My school has a strict policy about iPods or phones, or any electronic device in class, and I'd like to keep it that way. I fully agree with Twocows here, on that people should listen to the teacher and be quiet, and if they don't follow the rules, face consequences. This is not at all something of old times because I am only 17 years old myself and even I think this way. I actually wish that there would be more discipline in schools.

I have ADD, and that makes it even harder for me to concentrate. Besides the fact that people are always talking (a few certain people), if they can listen to music as well, it just gets out of hand. I hate it when people won't shut up and I can't follow what the teacher says, because I love learning and being in class, and I love discipline and iPods and phones and whatnot in class is just ridiculous.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • Well In my school, it depends on what teacher you have, they might not care if you listen to your Ipod, but most do care anyway. Well my opinion is that there shouldn't be Ipods in class, same with phones and the like. My school is a zoo lol, people screaming and talking everywhere, the teacher goes on like nothing is happening, but some just snap and scream throughout the whole class, lucky thats just 2 of 6 of my classes :P

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • The problem with this is that the type of music one listens to heavily effects whether it positively benefits them or genuinely distracts them.

For instance, music with words/singing is going to be very far on the negative scale in general, which just happens to be the music that everyone and their uncle listens to. >_>;

Instrumental music on the other hand is far more ideal for this sort of thing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    From my perspective, I don't think that iPods should be allowed in class. The main focus of school is learning, and it could be distracting, and you have to listen in class. I guess it's okay if you want to listen while doing classwork, but you should really be focused on learning. Maybe students could have a 15 minute break during the day to calm down a little bit when they can do what they want. During non-academic times, electronics should be allowed because it doesn't detract from academic time, but basically, as long as it doesn't distract students from learning, electronics should be allowed in non-lecture/class time.

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • Ok, when I saw this, a powerful rage came over me. Why? This is BS.

students are freely allowed to use iPod's/mp3's/etc in class on the grounds of 'it will help the students to focus on their work'

Yeah, ok. Look, I know the students complain, but this is school, and people need to be able to focus on their academics. Not their music. I am an avid musician, but I am also a student and I hate the apathy many put in. I know what works because I am very high in my class, and I know it's definitely not listening to music in class. Look, the only thing students should be listening to in class is the teacher. I know a lot of kids don't want to be there, but I say that they just need to suck it up and get through it. If you don't have the discipline to last 45 minutes in class without listening to music, then you are NEVER going to make it in the real world. K? How does listening to music help one focus on their work? The human brain cannot multitask, so listening to the teacher and your music at the same time will never work. And I don't CARE about what the students think. People seriously need to put a lot more effort into school,

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Yeah it should. I have problems focusing a lot because of the stupid pricks in my class who sit around and **** off the day. If I had my iPod, I put on my music, and it helps me block them out and concentrate. It doesn't even have to be classical, but it generally can't be anything too exciting that will distract me a lot :s.

Plus in the mile for P.E., it helps to keep me focused on my breathing, it's just one less thing that I have to worry about. I just let the music take over, focus on breathing in and out, and moving my legs. I'm done before I honestly even know it. The only time it is a hassle is if you don't have a clip or it keeps falling off into the dirt. But whatever.

Years
  • Okay, one thing is for sure: having your earphones in blocks out distractions from other pupils, alright. But at least for me, and I can't be the only one, it doesn't work because I really focus all of my mind into the music. I'd focus on the lyrics and whatever. I can't really concentrate when listening to music. I do it while doing homework because it makes it more 'fun', but it doesn't help my concentrating on the work.

On the other hand, if it doesn't work for you you can decide not to listen to music of course. And if half the class is listening to music - though the volume shouldn't be bothering others - and the other half is not, they can concentrate better as well... hmm interesting.

Still I think it should not be introduced. I'm going to be a teacher myself and I think that even when pupils have time to do their work and there is nothing to explain or anything, it'd bother me because if there would be something that everyone had to know, they might not hear it. I'm against iPods and whatnot in class. I think =p

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I think iPods should be allowed in class. Those who are smart will use their iPod Touches to do research on the topic the teacher is teaching, however that is probably more prominent in post-secondary education. If we're talking high school, I dunno if you'd really want to do any research on the topic at hand in English class today.

Listening to music should be allowed. If you want to distract yourself from your work, then that's your prerogative. I had a French teacher in high school who didn't give a crap what you did in his class, if you don't want to listen to him then you pay for it in your grade. That's a fine philosophy in my opinion. I would only be listening to music when we're working on our individual assignments in class or taking a test. But if the teacher is giving a lecture, I wouldn't. If you want to, I don't care. I may or may not be willing to help you if you've got a whole ton of questions due to your preoccupation in class. If you're my buddy then no problem but don't expect me to carry your ass through class when you're listening to Lady Gaga. :|

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    My old high school rule was: No electronics during class periods, even if you are not in the classroom. They were generous enough to allow us to use them during breaks and lunch.

My college rule: Varies by professor. Most see it as rude, but the most they can do to you is ask you to leave class for causing disruption and mark you as absent for that day. They can't confiscate the device like they could in high school.

MasterLink742

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Starting this year, my school started a new cell phone/iPod policy in which you are allowed to use it free during lunch, and (obviously) before and after school, and then, during the day, the teacher can decide their own policy.

For example:
    My first hour class is Biology, in which we are supposed to put out phone on the corner of the desk, and we can use it when we are working, or when the teacher asks us to look up something. The only restriction is no games, and no texting.

Though, my seventh hour class is AP Psychology and we are not allowed to have our phones out at all.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Correlation is not causation.

Most texting is centered around sentimental messages or a casual environment that tends to radiate towards simpler vocabulary. One who becomes used to textspeak will find it hard to break that habit as an adult.

A lesser evil is still an evil. Just because something is better than the worst scenario does not mean it is beneficial, only relatively positive.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • As a university student, this does not apply to me, but as far as my opinion goes, I think iPods should be allowed in class during free working time. So while the teacher is lecturing, absolutely not, but if they allow you to listen to your iPod while you work on an assignment, sure! Why not? I listen to music all the time as I work. For some people it really helps, for others not, but the choice should be there. I do not think it should be used during learning time/lecturing time. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Zeroblivion

Brotherhood
    Years
  • Some of my classmates have phones, iPods, even they're charging iPods near sockets.
    They hear to music every time in recess, breaktime and free times. But I had an iPod, instead an iPod Touch. I even play music if I'm in a rush to add more fun.
    I can't live without music, they touch our feelings.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    The high school I attend is pretty lenient with the cell phones and iPods in class, and while we switch from class to class and including lunch periods. They allow the teachers to choose if they will allow them. I can see the benefits of having them while doing independent work, while during lectures and instructional time, they should be off an way. That's what my Chemistry teacher did last year, and it seemed to be quite effective. Music for most people helps them concentrate while still working on school work, I for one work best and more efficiently while listening to music. The only problem I see is when it escalates to a high volume where you can hear every word of what the song is saying, then it can be a distraction. From personal experience, in Spanish while doing independent work, we are allowed to use our cell phones and iPods to help assist us with our work. Such as using Word Reference and other sources. No iPods in class aren't absolutely necessary, but they help in one way, shape or form.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I'm not sure if I agree with this. I mean if you're doing some sort of test in the class, I can see how listening to music on your iPod could help you concentrate (I know when I used to do revision I liked some music on) but then again, you could have "answers" or things that can help you with the test on there, so I can see why they're not allowed.

Maybe it would help some kids concentrate, but others would use it as an excuse not to listen. I know that's how it would've been in my school, anyway.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    My school allows free use of electronics anywhere before the morning bell, during your lunch period in the cafeteria, and anywhere after the last bell of the day

Back