• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Irritating Pokemon Mispronunciations

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
Years
  • For some reason it really annoys me when Pidgeot is pronounced "Pid-jit" and not "Pid-jee-ott". I mean, it follows the evolutions; "Pid-jee", "Pid-jee-oh-toh", "Pid-jee-ott". I guess it's one of those things that just irritates me. :/

I never noticed that until watching an early Pokemon episode when Officer Jenny was saying Pid-jit, I thought maybe that was her nickname for it but I guess the "o" was silent.

This year I also just realized Ky-ogre and not Ky-Oh-Gree.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • Let's not discuss Porygon-Z here for the obvious reason. By the way, I don't like Canadians for the most part.

We don't like you either :p

What's the official way to say Gyrados? I've heard these pronunciations:

Gare-ah-dose
    Gy-rah-dose
    Gear-ah-dose

I've always used the first one.

Kninj

Collector Extraordinaire!
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 19, 2012
    Gyarados - What with english accent and all, it's just Gah-rah-dose for me, but meh :3

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • For some reason it really annoys me when Pidgeot is pronounced "Pid-jit" and not "Pid-jee-ott". I mean, it follows the evolutions; "Pid-jee", "Pid-jee-oh-toh", "Pid-jee-ott". I guess it's one of those things that just irritates me. :/
    Wow, I forgot that one. That's probably the most annoying of them all. It says "Pid-jit" in the original PokéRap too.

I always pronounced Rayquaza as Ray-Kwah-Zah. Even after I learned the proper pronunciation I didn't change it. Same goes for Groudon who I always called it Groo-Don not Grow-Don, meh. I pronounce Unova as Ooh-nov-a but on occasion I'll say it as You-no-va. i alternate between Rye-ko and Rye-Ku but the latter seems more natural.

I'm not sure which is official but it grinds my gears when someone says Gear-ra-teen-a. I always pronounce it Jeer-ra-teen-a.
    I'm after forgetting so many. xD I always pronounced Rayquaza as "Ray-Kwah-Zah", Unova as "You-No-Va" and Giratina as "Jeer-Ra-Teen-A". :3

Everybody knows that in the anime, Riolu is pronounced ree-oh-lu, right? I always pronounced it as rye-oh-lu untill I saw an episode of the anime.

I pronounce Kyogre's name wrong too. I pronounce it as Key-o-grey, not key-o-gr. I always thought that sounded dumb. (So does ray-queeze-ah. That just doesn't sound right at all. :D)
    Ew, really? "Ree-Oh-Lu" really doesn't sound right to me. It sounds so much less awesome.

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
    Years
  • my friend Sean calls Lugia Luigi XD Also, i once herd some one call Charmelion Cha-melion which realy annoyed me... ahh well justy gonna have to learn to deal with it :)

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • Pidgeot, though the anime can't agree on one way to pronounce it. I pronounce it Pid-gee-ot.

Oh, and if humans count then Ghetsis. Which is supposed to be pronounced "DENNIS".

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • Let's not discuss Porygon-Z here for the obvious reason. By the way, I don't like Canadians for the most part.
    What? I hope you mean the Canadian pronunciation. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself. By the way, half of the people I know say Zee and the others Zed...

Anyway, as I speak French most of the time, I pronounce many English names the wrong way, as in lazy English with a touch of French lol. So when I hear the official pronunciation, I'm often surprised. I would say Groo-don (or crouton 'cause that's funnier), Kee-oh-gr, mee-lo-tic, lu (not loo)-ka-ree-oh, and so on. The one I find the funniest is Oh-ho. I just say o-o which sounds really lame.

Lor

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    Arg.. so many to name.. will post a list later

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    Someone once said "Hey trade me your Hunter and ill give you my mechoke so they'll both evolove!"

Serisly how can you get those to names wrong?!?!?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    My sister's pronunciation of Gigalith (One of my favorites from this generation) ... "Giggle-Ith"

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • First of all, it grinds my gears when someone says Pokey-man. I just heard that used today, even. At times, it sounds funny, but when adults use it, it's kind of like they just dismiss Pokemon as simple child's play or just don't bother to figure out the right pronunciation. It is MON. No A!

"PICK-a-chew", on the other hand... :cer_laugh: At least it reasonably sounds right.

As the title says, have you heard any annoying pronunciations of pokemon names? Do you dislike the official ones and choose to pronounce it differently?

Just a minute ago I heard a TCG advert that said Rayquaza's name as Ray-Queeze-A. That may well be correct for all I know, but it still annoyed me.

-_- Ray-Quee-Za?? I personally pronounce it "Ray-QUAH-Za" (due to plaza), and I can even understand "Ray-QUAY-Za", but "Ray-QUEE-Za"? WTF?! There is no "E" in there! It is either short A (ah) or long A (ay)! NO E!!

Whenever I see Kyogre's name, I get angry.

:cer_laugh: :cer_laugh: :cer_laugh:

I knew I pronounced Budew wrong from the start but I like saying Boo-Doo. Bonsly was pronounced as Bons-Lee before and I prefer that way.

LOL..."Boo-Doo". Mentally, whenever I see the name Budew I think "Buh-Dew", but "Boo-DOO" sounds and looks hilarious. :cer_laugh:

Anyone who pronounces Unova Un-Na-Va gets a seal of idiotic qualities.

The pronunciation can be started with "OO", "YOU", or even "UHN", but if that middle syllable isn't an O...yeah..agreed with the seal. -_- The English Pokemon anime currently has that seal (only for pronunciation, not their other welcome improvements).

I'm not sure which is official but it grinds my gears when someone says Gear-ra-teen-a. I always pronounce it Jeer-ra-teen-a.

LOL...I actually tend to pronounce it "JEER-ra-teen-na", but "GEAR-ra-teen-na" sounds so freaking awesome as well, especially due to the unconventionality/infrequent usage of it and the resemblance to the word guillotine at the beginning with the "G".

For some reason, I want to see someone screw it up and pronounce it "Jeer-RAH-tin-nah", saying the "RAH-tin-nah" part really fast, with emphasis on the "RAH" part. :cer_laugh:

Me too, omg. I always want to say KEY-oh-gurr, but apparently, it's KAI-oh-gurr. The second one doesn't even sound right to me. x_x

I get annoyed every time I hear Pidgeot pronounced PID-jit instead of PID-gee-ot. Even though both pronunciations have been used interchangeably in the anime, I just can't see how you can get PID-jit out of Pidgeot. :(

Also, I've heard people call Pokémon Po-kee-man and it gets irritating after a while. There's no "a" in "Pokémon" to make that "man" sound. Blah.

LOL...due to the dual nature of "Y", I guess KEE or KYE/KAI counts. The "KEE/KYE-O-GRAY" pronunciations surprise me. Ogre (O-GURR) is in the name, so I figured you just plop on the "Ky" part on the beginning, IMO. :\ Calling a regular old ogre "O-GRAY" is a bit amusing.

Let's not discuss Porygon-Z here for the obvious reason. By the way, I don't like Canadians for the most part.

Uh...why? :cer_confused:

I feel the need to discuss: Porygon-Zee xD i mean, the letter is definitely pronounced Zed, but for some reason Porygon-Zee fits better :3

I always pronounced Suicune 'Sui-seen' but that was when i was tiny and didn't read the name properly. Also my friends called it that, so.. But anyway, now i sort of always think of it as that, even though i know it's wrong xD

What is this I don't even.

ZED?! Who the heck would pronounce "Z" (Zee) as Zed? o_O Unless Canadians pronounce their singular letters differently...? :cer_confused: Then it would be understandable, but otherwise that's the weirdest letter pronunciation I've ever seen... "PORE-Ree-Gawn ZED" does sound quite BA, though. Reminds me of Lord Zedd from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers...

Aww...lol at the Suicune thing.

I think a lot of times people invent up their own pronounciations.
    Most people in Hong Kong can't pronounce Jynx correctly.
    They just find it hard to pronounce lol
    I've heard people saying "Jings", "Jeans", "Jaingx" or they just give up pronouncing it and spell it out instead.

It seems that people in America have difficulty pronouncing Pachirisu
    But I suppose people who know Japanese don't.

LOL at the "Jynx" mispronunciations... Pachirisu doesn't seem that hard; the first time I saw its name on Bulbapedia, I was like "They must have kept the Japanese name..." I don't really see how butchered that could get...

my friend Sean calls Lugia Luigi XD

:cer_laugh:

Oh, and if humans count then Ghetsis. Which is supposed to be pronounced "DENNIS".

OK, I keep on seeing this "Dennis" thing, especially on TVTropes. What's the deal with it? Originally I thought people heard Genosect's in-game cry as "DENNIS" or something... Is Ghetsis really pronounced "Dennis"? :cer_confused: "GET-Siss" (or GYET-Siss; does not start with "J" sound) sounds way more BA. :cer_nod: :rambo:

The one I find the funniest is Oh-ho. I just say o-o which sounds really lame.

LOL...but it's Ho-oh (HOE-OH), not OH-ho. "Oh-ho" and "oh-oh" do sound humorous, though. I chuckle whenever I see it get pronounced "Ho-ho". :cer_laugh:
    Irritating Pokemon Mispronunciations

My sister's pronunciation of Gigalith (One of my favorites from this generation) ... "Giggle-Ith"

Aww... ROFL I just thought of Regigigas getting pronounced "Reh-Jye-GIGGLES". XD

i want to rip people's face off when they pronounce "seviper" as "serveeper".

Gwah? That reminds me of the funny sound effect VWORP... "Ser-veep-er" is quite fun to say, though, as erroneous as it is. XD

Snopes

Veteran Newblette
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    Ever since I was little I would always pronounce "Rattata"
    as like "Rat-ah-tat-ah" heehee. I don't know, it just sounds better to me.

Lol @ the Ho-ho's

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Unova have all been touched on... Cilan. Cilan should be pronounced "Sih-lahn", accent on the second syllable, as in "cilantro". Not however the hell the anime pronounces it. RUIN A SEXY NAME WHY DON'T YOU *cries*

On another note, Alex Day:
    "And how the hell do you pronounce Suicune?
    Soo-ih-sign, Swee-sign, Soo-ih-soon, I don't know."

Last edited:

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Well, a majority of the ones people have brought up are Pokémon that are the same as their Japanese names.

Raikou: Rye-koh (The u is silent; not Rye-ku)
    Suicune: Swee-koon
    Riolu: Ree-oh-loo
    Kyogre: Kai-oh-gur
    Arceus: Ar-say-oos (Based on the Katakana, if it wasn't that I'd say Ar-see-iss)

Rayquaza: Ray-kwah-zuh (Not official; but based on Rekkuza, that matches closer than Ray-qway-zuh)

I agree with the issue about the pronunciation of Cilan. Sai-lan sounds wrong, I was expecting it to be Si-lan like Cilantro.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    lol At Ho-oh. I've actually heard people say Ho-ho before. *facepalm* Especially when the GSC days were first around. As for Pidgeot, I can't stand when people pronounce it like that either. The pokérap always made me cringe when Pidgeot came on it. I always felt it was pronounced in the same sense as Pidgey and Pidgeotto.

As for the advertisement with Rayquaza being pronounced wrong, I heard that one on TV recently too, and though I'm not sure how to pronounce it I just through it was pronounced really strangely since there's no E involved. o.O

I've also heard people say Celebi wrong and say "Cell-eb-hi" or "Cell-eb-hee". Or even the worst one, "Kell-ah-bi". O.O I've heard Suicune in so many different forms and I'm sure for some time I said it wrong myself. Same with Giratina. I've also heard people call Magikarp "Magic-karp". Or add other silly letters into pokémon names like that. One of my friends as a kid would insist hoppip was "hoop-ip". It would make me want to cry lol.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Suicune causes lots of disagreements among my friends. One of them takes Japanese and insists that in Japanese it would be pronounced "Sue-ih-koo-nay" so that's how it should be pronounced, my boyfriend always calls it "Sue-ih-koon", and I always say "Swee-koon". I have no idea which is right but I'll still probably say Swee-koon no matter what the actual one is.

One I found funny from the new generation...the emphasis on Pignite. If you put the emphasis on the Nite, it sounds like it's supposed to, as a pun on ignite. If you put the emphasis on the Pig, it sounds like Pig is supposed to stand alone, therefore saying it sounds like "Pig Knight".

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
  • Alright, how I pronounce some of the Pokemon brought up in this discussion.

Gyarados- Gi-are-a-dose
    Illumise- I-lu-Mise
    Raikou- Ry-ku
    Suicune: Su-i-cune
    Porygon-Z- Po-ree-gon Zee
    Rayquaza- Ray-quay-za
    Kyogre- Ky-o-gre
    Budew- Bu-dew
    Pidgeot- Pid-gee-ot
    Riolu- Ree-oh-lu
    Arceus- Ar-kee-us

I know some are wrong, but that's just how I say them. I'm a 'Say it how you see it' person.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • lol I haven't been annoyed by any of this until I started reading this forum.

Have people seriously been going around saying "Key-o-grey" or something? It's obvious that it's "Kye-ogre (as in an ogre)".

Also, Bonsly being pronounced "Bon-slee" is fairly self-explanatory.

However, the right pronunciation is "Ray-queeze-a"? Really? I think Pokemon fans should start a revolt on that one to have it changed in the anime.

EDIT: Just read my post and realised what a jackass I sound like lol - I didn't mean to be so condescending, it just came out that way :P

Back