• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is 10 too young to own a Legendary Pokémon

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • this might get moved to Pokémon Gaming Central but might not idk...

since there is a thread on if 10 is too young to go on a journey, lets assume the answer is no. which brings up my question, is 10 too young to own a powerful Legendary Pokémon that is so strong and can do great damage? Legendary Pokémon are REALLY powerful enough to kill, is 10 years old too young to own a Legendary Pokémon?

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Actually owning the Pokemon isn't the most difficult part. Capturing it is. If you have the skill to capture a legendary Pokemon at age 10, then by all means you should be allowed to keep it with no questions asked.

Sirfetch’d

I don't think any age is too young to own a legendary. If you are able to capture it and train it, you are certainly old enough to have it.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I see a valid point here, a ten year old with a lugia... yeah all fun and games till he gets bullied at school and next thing he is sitting in juvi for the next 3 years...

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    Well I'm going to say 10 year old leaving home to explore mountains, caves, volcanoes, the ocean, and beating each other up for their money is a little dangerous and far fetched already. I also dont know if your character matures at all when the game ends- I always imagined a 12-14 year old at the start, and a 17-20 year old at the end. After that a responsible trainer/champion would join the league or open an gym, or something of the sort- basically pave th way for newer people to do the same.

So I don't think a 10 year old should have a Pokemon responsible for the flow of time in his pocket. xD

Years
  • I think the real question is if anyone is qualified to capture a legendary pokemon. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should. What would happen to the Pokemon if something were to happen to you? We know that legendary pokemon can reproduce, since there was an episode of the anime with a baby Lugia, but there are still only a handful in the world, one of which would be rotting in your PC box. Also, it's pretty safe to say that a legendary pokemon isn't going to have the same relatively tame qualities of regular Pokemon - unless you were the best trainer to ever live, holding a legendary pokemon captive would be a good way to get yourself/someone else seriously injured or killed.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
    Years
  • Knowing a ten-year-old, they would do something stupid like try to tie a bow around its neck and poke it over and over again once he/she got his/her hands on it.

And then they would get killed. So, no.

Crystalanachrony

ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n
    Years
  • Not in the slightest. Putting that much responsibility in a ten-year-old's hands is a terrible idea. Legendaries aren't just super-powerful Pokémon, they are functionally gods. Think back to when you were ten; you probably regret a lot of your decisions, and that's because most ten-year-olds just do really dumb things. If a ten-year-old owned a Legendary, they'd probably bring about the Poképocalypse without actually intending to.

So no. They really should not.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • They are way too powerful to be put in anyone's hands especially things like the creation trio and Arceus which can warp reality to their will. Have you ever seen that Twilight Zone episode with the omnipotent kid that could unexist people with a thought? I'd fear that power in any human being especially a ten year old child.

Years
  • My first instinct is that 10 year olds absolutely shouldn't be able to own legendary Pokemon. But the more I think about it though, many legendaries have shown to be friendly towards kids (in the anime at least), and I don't see what would be wrong with having a 10 year old own something like a Celebi or a Shaymin, other than they'd be near impossible to get a hold of. More vicious legendaries like Giratina, Rayquaza and Kyurem though, should be nowhere near regular trainers, let alone 10 year olds.

Nakala Pri

Well, owning a legendary Pokemon which can destroy the world at your command may be a bit over the top... but still. I think it is okay, but whatever you do:

DON'T GIVE IT TO GARY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
    Years
  • 10-year-old's shouldn't be able to own some of the Legendary Pokémon. Humongous ones like Giratina and Zekrom shouldn't be allowed, but some of the cute ones - even though they are extremely rare - are okay, like Shaymin or Celebi. I just think it'd be wrong for a 10-year-old to be walking round with a humongous Zekrom plodding behind them, but a Celebi flying around them would seem pretty cute.

And like Rozu said, keep 'yo Legendary Pokémon away from Mother ****** Gary Oak! :3

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    No matter how hot-headed and skilled a ten year old trainer may be, it just isn't reliable to put something so powerful in their hands. They'll be in awe of their new legendary Pokemon and if we used this in a real life situation, they would undoubtedly show off its potential. This can be extremely dangerous, if huge dragons can already get knocked out by the force of Dialga's Roar of Time, then why is it safe to place into a child's hand? No child can handle that responsibility of owning such a beastly Pokemon especially one with a huge role in the creation of the world. Its like giving the position of ruler to a ten year old, they wouldn't know how to handle it properly and it could end disastrously.

So yes, I think ten is way too young. At that age you aren't exactly the most mature kid and can't make life or death decisions. If ten-year olds already get excited enough at the thought of remote-control helicopters, god knows what they'd do with a legendary. Rather harmless ones that have no problems with humans such as Victini/Celebi as mentioned before would be fine. But Palkia and creators of the Pokemon universe is way out of bounds for even the most skilled trainers.

Years
  • Fair enough being able to catch a legendary at 10..*cough*impossible*cough*... but I think that any time the Pokemon spends out of its Pokeball should be in the presence of a parent or guardian. Unless we're talking about Manaphy, that's innocent enough, but if we're talking Zekrom then i'd expect the government to be paying a visit regardless of the trainer's age.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • You must understand in theory if pokemon were real you wouldn't be able to catch legendaries because they'd be either myths or very hard to capture we won't be running into Ho-Ohs like ash

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    There's not much point in arguing about when is too young for a Pokemon trainer because no matter what happens, age isn't that much of a factor for capturing Pokemon, legendary or not.

pokefan648

< I ate your giant meatball :3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    i think it is just fine. being 10 means your old enough to train and own any pokemon and go on your journey through the leagues. As long as you can catch and train it properly, its yours.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Short answer, yes. There actually isn't a longer answer. This is assuming we aren't talking about giving a ten year old something appropriate for ten year olds. Something like Groudon? That's funny, hahaha.

Years
  • If I were ten (again) I'd own a legendary, if I worked my butt off catching it. C'mon, what 10 year old doesn't want a Mew as a friend :3

Back