• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Anyone Else Really Missing Mega-Evolution??

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I didn't realize it when I started this thread, but I think I've sort of realized why I think Mega Evolutions were, at least aesthetically speaking, the better mechanic. The designs of the Pokémon who have gotten Gigantamax forms have been pretty great actually so far. I mean, I'm not complaining. BUT, at the same time, they're a bit...limited? I think that's the word.

The designs of the Gigantamax forms are all tied together by one common theme: the Pokémon are now GIANT and the design has the scream that. And for a lot of the designs, it works. Machamp, Blastoise, Orbeetle, Grimmsnarl, and Toxtricity are some of the best designs. But, at the same time, it can become a limiting factor and when they can't think of a way to truly enhance the design, they resort to just making a certain body part bigger or fusing the Pokémon to something massive. Take GMax Rillaboom as an example. It's not a BAD design by any means, though. It just...resorts to fusing Rillaboom to a giant drum set.

The Mega Evolutions, on the other hand, really engaged with the design of the Pokémon and added intracacies that some of the GMax forms don't. I'm not saying they hit it out of the park every time, BUT I think on average the Mega Evolutions allowed more of a meaningful design overhaul than the GMax forms have.

Plus, I really think Gamefreak is missing an obvious opportunity to pit Mega Evolutions and GMax against each other as a plot point for the story of some future game.

Last edited:

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • Another point is that Mega Evolution requires only the Stone & the Ring in order to function, its a pretty simple process. Dynamaxing however requires the Band, specific locations, massive stadiums to accommodate them and with Gigantamaxing it gets even worse with the whole Max Soup/catching Gmax base forms etc. It just doesn't fit into the world as well as Mega Evolution does, that's why Mega Evolution in ORAS was so smooth because no changes was needed to the region itself.

Years
  • Yep I miss it a lot! I think it was great for team building and made using Pokemon like Beedrill and Aerodactyl actually enjoyable! I really hope they bring it back someday and keep use it more to make "shitty" Pokemon more viable. Now that most of the fan favorites have mega forms, GF can focus more on Pokemon that really need it, Dunsparce, Maractus, Girafarig, Stantler, Huntail, and Gorebyss are just a few that come to mind.

Also because of the stone and band feature, it can easily be kept to postgame content and maybe you can even pick whether you get a bracelet, earrings, or a necklace and can customize it on your character? I really think GF struck gold with Megas (sell more plushies!) and it is strange to me that Gen 7 opted for Z moves instead.

Years
    • Online now
    I miss mega evolution, and I wish mega stones weren't locked to the post game in Gen 7.

Even the sillier ones, like rayquaza getting an evolved form, still looked pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I really didn't like most of them, they were way overpowered.

Some however felt like they should of just been evolutions of the pokemon proper:
    -Mawile
    -Sableye
    -Lupunny
    -Audino
    -Absol

They felt like natural extensions of the Pokemon rather than a 'mega form' but then again, I also think Luvdisc should evolve into Alomomola.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I really didn't like most of them, they were way overpowered.

Some however felt like they should of just been evolutions of the pokemon proper:
    -Mawile
    -Sableye
    -Lupunny
    -Audino
    -Absol

They felt like natural extensions of the Pokemon rather than a 'mega form' but then again, I also think Luvdisc should evolve into Alomomola.

I thought the same way when they were first introduced, especially with Mawile. But looking back afterwards, I realized it was probably better that they were introduced as Mega forms. I don't want every Pokémon to have to evolve properly to become a competitive threat. Plus, there were already a lot of Pokémon that were already part of 3-stage evolutionary lines that needed the boost: Beedrill, Ampharos, etc. There are still a lot that need the boost.

And Luvdisc should evolve into Alomomola.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • Definitely! I love how mega evolutions brought attention to mons that had never quite caught a glimpse of the spotlight before, like Mawile and Abomasnow! (And Lucario lmao)

Tbh, I think megas were much more balanced than both Z-Moves and Dynamax, as evidenced by how you might want to avoid mega evolving sometimes in a battle, such as to have one more turn of intimidate on Mawile or that extra 10 speed on Garchomp.

And yes, Luvdisc should definitely evolve into Alomomola.

Back