• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Ash Smart?

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2009
    Well in the latest movie, Ash was trying to figure out what multiplied by 10 gives you 100. Obviously the answer is ten but Dawn had to tell him that. LOL

XSeerian

My name is actually Drenz!
    Years
  • I think Ash isn't booksmart, is the better term to use here.

Street smart? I think he's pretty wise.

Pokemon smart? So-so.

Pokemon battling and training? The man is like a Guru.

Of course he'll lose sometimes, and sometimes he'll draw, but the cards he brings to the table are something of another quaility. He's made stupid mistakes, sure. I'll grant that. (I.E. Pikachu and him trying to show Buizel they're stronger in the Ep: Buizel You Way Out Of This. Gawd...I lawled so hard in that episode.) but he's made some great decisions, also.

I admire his courage, his heroism and most of all, the kid's got real moxy and you have to respect that. Haha! ^_^

~Drenz

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
  • He wants to release his Pokemon so they can be happy, just like what he wanted to do to Pikachu in one episode. So I say he's stupid.

Years
  • My younger brother says that "Ash is as stupid as a motorcycle" but that's an inside joke that would require over a fanfic to explain.

I'd say that he was an idiot at times, especially when he did things like pull out Charmeleon against Paras in "The Problem w/Paras" back in the start of things as he was aiming to lose in that episode to help Cassandra evolve her Paras. So pulling out a fire Pokemon when he was supposed to lose to help a friend was a little bit dumb. And he did make PLENTY such mistakes too, ie. pitching Squirtle against grass Pokemon when he could have picked fire, etc but as time goes by, he seems to be getting better. Or I've just become amused by it.

What does make him smart is that he is like what, 10 years old (and miraculously doesn't age) and he manages to survive traveling around on his own w/a few of his friends. I cannot imagine many of that age I know making it alive for more than a week so there is a certain amount of maturity there.

HOWEVER, the moment I think of Team Rocket's numerous uber-lame disguises, Ash doesn't appear to be the brightest crayon in the box.

So he's not brilliant or anything if you ask me, but his heart is in the right place and that's what counts at the end of the day.
    I think today Ash is about 12 years old. In D/P his voice gets a little deeper.

Avolition

TEN THOUSAND FISTS
    Years
  • Lol. Nah, I think Ash is just a 10 year old with a man's voice and no common sense. He's a good battler, I GUESS. I mean, if I was him, I wouldn't question luck.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Ash does look a little older in Hoenn and Shinoh compared to Kanto, imo.

I wouldn't say he's very bright, but he isn't stupid either. Yes he's silly sometimes (like with falling into TR silly traps every time, choosing the wrong types in battle, forgetting things now and then), but he does smart things too. During the Anime (and the games, although a bit less), we were told that to be a great trainer you need a heart, the heart of a true master that is not only skilled at battling, but also understands the Pokemon he has as his friend. Ash is deffitally one with a heart, and therefor he possesses the capability of becoming a True Pokemon Master. He wants his Pokemon to be happy, to live their life the way they want to. If it means that he has to leave them behind, then that's okay for him, because he knows they'll be happier in e.g. in their homeland or with family than if they continue to travel with him.

Ash' IQ might be not so high, but he has some EQ, and that's important too.

PS: you don't need a stronger type to win. With the right choice of attacks you can win most battles. =)

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • It depends really. Ash really does do some really things like using his back to block the wind instead of piling extra snow. The episode is called snow way out and you see the Pokemon build a block in the cave Charmander in like 10 seconds and he didn't even ask them to pile up more snow. His back could have gotten major frostbit. Plus he decide to clime a snow covered mountain in spring or summer clothing. He also attacked a really mean Pokemon with a rock before knowing what it was first. Plus his pokedex called him stupid. This was in the first episode. He does have prowess in battle though.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Yes, I said his IQ wasn't so high, did I? I just didn't mention all the stupid things Ash does/is capable of. xD
    And we all know that Pokemon doesn't take Nature's elements so highly~ Ah well... Ash could have died many times of his stupidity. He's lucky to have such great friends and Pokemon.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    No. Just no. Ash is the main character, gets all the luck he can get, and that is all.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    He wants to release his Pokemon so they can be happy, just like what he wanted to do to Pikachu in one episode. So I say he's stupid.

So he should be selfish instead? He should have kept Butterfree away from the girl one and Butterfree would be unable to "have babies"? Because he should just stay with Ash? Well, that's just cruel.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • He wants to release his Pokemon so they can be happy, just like what he wanted to do to Pikachu in one episode. So I say he's stupid.

Ash has a really loving and unselfish attitude. Being loving and caring isn't really stupid it's just showing respect and love to other.

So he should be selfish instead? He should have kept Butterfree away from the girl one and Butterfree would be unable to "have babies"? Because he should just stay with Ash? Well, that's just cruel.
    You go girl.

Treeckouser

LiFe's wORth liViNG fOr
    Years
  • Yeah, he's smart. He has good tactics (sometimes it's more luck but, ok) and all that stuff. He doesn't catch legendaries and i don't blame him. I wouldn't catch them too cause i don't really care if the pokémons are strong or not. if I like them I catch them, if i don't, I don't mind if they're better then the ones I have. i like cool and cute Pokémons (more cool then cute) but what I thinks that is not one thing or another, I don't catch. Ash is the same and I really respect him and like him for that.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    Ash just follow his heart. If I was in his position, I would probably release my Pokemon as well.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • My analysis...

Ash is not a very smart person overall (slightly below average IQ) and also hes quite unperceptive and immature at times. Things don't really sink in too well either. Hes also rather short-tempered at times and quite stubborn. However despite all those flaws hes a caring person, willing to go through a lot for his friends when push comes to shove (He seems to care more about pokemon than people however). Remember he grew up in a small town that pretty much out of the way, where not many people live. So he has other qualities that make up for the lack of schooling he seems to have. Hes rather tough and decently fit, suggesting that he was an outdoors type when younger.

I think what best explains his skill at battling is not necessarily his smarts but his leadership capabilities. He seems to be able to inspire others when things are down. Plus notice that he does tend to win as the stake get higher. Hes also naturally lucky. His battling skills are quite good usually, but lack of knowledge does hurt.

He is the sort of person who, if they concentrate all the time could do exceptional things, however over-confidence and immaturity are his greast downfalls.

His style of training isn't too good physically but is emotionally. Although he wants to "catch 'em all", I believe that theres more to it than that, although I cannot fathom what exactly yet.

And thats my analysis...Just remember it may not be accurate...

Master Jumblecrunch

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I have to agree. The last 4 Seasons, Ash should know Team Rockts disquises! It was funny when he was dumb the first 3 seasons. Now, he is on purpose, or want attention. On battles, it seem luck...

Last edited:
    Back