• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it a good idea to make a whole new type?

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Just one type would be fine. It adds something extra to your game. But if you're changing the whole type system, you're throwing people off. People, or at least I and probably may others, wouldn't like having to learn a whole new type system. If you can come up with a good name and good balancing system, I'd say go right ahead. Think about what Pokémon you're going to give it that type, etc.

Years
    • Age 42
    • Iowa
    • Seen Sep 30, 2021
    as long as it's well thought out and balanced, there's nothing wrong a new type, but you REALLY have to be careful with the delicate balance that Nintendo has created with the franchise.

Years
  • Just want to add that I think it'd be more interesting to add new types which is relevant to the story/plot, character, region history as why such type should exist in your region besides of course being balanced. That way, your new type can be more emphasized so people get easier time to learn the new type.

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2021
    Pro's:

- Makes your region more unique
    - Adds more variety and strategy to battles if done right

Cons:

- You have to make sure everything stays balanced
    - The new type will need Pokemon, Moves, any type specific items etc.

I wouldn't personally recommend it, since I don't consider the pro's to outweigh the work involved.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • You don't need to do too much for balancing, really, unless you're going to feature multiplayer. Add a new type if it makes thematic sense, but consider your game experience. If it's good against a majority of your gym leaders/challenges/whatever, then consider making the type less available in early game unless you want it to be a cakewalk.

If in doubt, playtest!

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    I would agree that a new type or types would be beneficial to a custom game provided that it is a good fit. Something that would fit the game's many aspects and possibly story.

Each game has different needs and goals in the end and new types would be beneficial so long as they fit well into the completed work.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • I'm not a new type kind of guy. Some of these new types seem unnecessary or even silly. Also, it can screw with game balance if not done properly.
    That said, I don't think adding just one new type would either make or break your game. so, it's up to the game developer,

Back