• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is it time to fully abandon trainer sprites/mugshots?

Keep artwork in game, or switch to fully 3D?

• I want every trainer to have a 3D battle model!

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • I want every trainer to have artwork, stick with tradition!

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I'm perfectly happy with the current set up of both!

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
  • I definitely prefer the artwork.

I personally think that it's time for sprites to go R.I.P. They've had a long run.
    I find that it looks weird to have 3D models and then some 2D sprites.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I kinda like the artworks better imo but for gym leaders, E4, rivals, maybe a HD 3D model unlike they use currently coz tbh the 3D models look pixelated imo, not like when you let say testing an outfit, those models are much more flush tbh.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    They don't even use sprites anymore...

I don't see how artwork could be classified a sprite, as a sprite is a small-sized pixel model of a game character. Those are large artwork scraps, I suppose. I don't think sprites are going to be back, as they've already tried to move away from the old sprites from as early as Gen IV, when they started using textures instead of individual pixel tiles. Sprites are, now simply a thing for fanart to display.

In fact, it would have been better if they didn't use sprites in Gen V itself, but the console restriction wouldn't probably allow them to use large sophisticated 3D models.

Origin Green

Smell ya later!
    Years
  • They don't even use sprites anymore...

I don't see how artwork could be classified a sprite, as a sprite is a small-sized pixel model of a game character. Those are large artwork scraps, I suppose. I don't think sprites are going to be back, as they've already tried to move away from the old sprites from as early as Gen IV, when they started using textures instead of individual pixel tiles. Sprites are, now simply a thing for fanart to display.

In fact, it would have been better if they didn't use sprites in Gen V itself, but the console restriction wouldn't probably allow them to use large sophisticated 3D models.

I did actually put in the original post that I wasn't sure if they where still called sprites.

Years
  • I'd prefer them to scrap the Artwork for the VS screen altogether in favour for complete 3D opening animations for significant characters as they were handled in the console titles.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I did actually put in the original post that I wasn't sure if they where still called sprites.

I see. I guess I got confused by the title.

I can see how people would want full 3D models for trainers, because I always seem to remember that until Platinum, no trainer sprite had any animation, and Pokémon sprites had animations as old as Crystal. In Platinum, only boss battle trainers had animations, and in BW they made complete animation looping models for Pokémon and some lousy pose animations for their trainers. I guess they always prioritise the Pokémon first, as it might take a lot more work to get all trainer 3D models done. Besides, when simply chatting overworld (prebattle) I don't think there's a need for a model other than the one in the overworld. It would be awesome if the trainers stand next to their Pokémon while battling and we can actually get to see them giving orders to attack, like sometimes when the trainer is down to his/her last Pokémon he/she makes a comment. I feel that artwork would perhaps be removed in the seventh gen, or in Pokémon Z. In ORAS, as it is a remake, I'm not expecting that much, just a new remake of an awesome region.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I'd prefer they go with a CONSISTENT style. Regardless of whether it's artwork or 3D. If they're going to show artwork, then show it for all of the trainers, even the important ones. And if they're going to show 3D, then give each trainer their own 3D model and show a Pokeball throwing animation. It's very jarring to have three different styles in contrast; a low-resolution overworld model, a high-resolution battle model, and a random generic Sugimori artwork.

I'm of the opinion that the artwork should be phased out. And don't really think that much would happen to Mr. Sugimori if they did so. He'd definitely still have his job, because his artwork is important. It makes it easy to show what all the Pokemon look like outside of the game and he'd still have a huge load of work to do regardless.

I think they'll probably stay with the 2D artwork until the next generation, in which case they will be more experienced and comfortable with 3D and be converting most to 3D models. Could be wrong, but it just seems most likely to me.

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I'd prefer they go with a CONSISTENT style. Regardless of whether it's artwork or 3D. If they're going to show artwork, then show it for all of the trainers, even the important ones. And if they're going to show 3D, then give each trainer their own 3D model and show a Pokeball throwing animation. It's very jarring to have three different styles in contrast; a low-resolution overworld model, a high-resolution battle model, and a random generic Sugimori artwork.

I'm of the opinion that the artwork should be phased out. And don't really think that much would happen to Mr. Sugimori if they did so. He'd definitely still have his job, because his artwork is important. It makes it easy to show what all the Pokemon look like outside of the game and he'd still have a huge load of work to do regardless.

I think they'll probably stay with the 2D artwork until the next generation, in which case they will be more experienced and comfortable with 3D and be converting most to 3D models. Could be wrong, but it just seems most likely to me.

I do want everything to be consistent too, it's annoying that we have team flare as high resolution battle models, trainers and overworld people with low resolution 3D models, and annoying to have the E4 as Sugimori Art models. I just wish they would make it look more fitting then being all over the place.

Sugimori would still definitely have a job. Especially in the CoroCoro mags. He basically made all the art for it, giving us the leaks and stuff.

Next Gen is definitely going to have different art-style. Maybe they could impliment the Revolution Style battle layout, that is a number 1 thing I want them to do, with you telling the commands and all. Maybe they could do that just because it was console and it had more storage. I dunno, but I won't complain, they did really good with the graphics overall in XY, and I'm excited to see the reinforced graphics in ORAS. The teaser trailer looked awesome.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I voted for both, because even though I'd like for everyone to have 2D art, I doubt they're going to get rid of the 3D animations now that they've included some in XY.

Theblackvixen

The Delphox Queen
    Years
  • Full 3D models, for sure. We can never go back to sprites, I mean, the 3D has just opened so many doors and has helped with immersion on so many levels! I say stick with the 3D, and just keep improving and improving the textures and the overall gameplay!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I'm with those who don't care whether it's 3D or Artwork, as long at it's consistent.

IMHO, alternating the two made X&Y look like Game Freak ran out of budget in the middle of the development and just used the (already made) artwork to replace the 3D models they didn't have time to make.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • To be honest, I kinda like seeing them back to sprites than their artworks. Although the Sugimori art is nice and all, but it kinda throws me off for some reason, maybe because it is the first time in the main games that they didnt use sprites?

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2019
    I think we should give trainer models to important characters such as rivals, evil team, gym leaders, elite four, champion, and battle frontier. Otherwise seeing a model when fighting normal trainers like youngsters will get annoying and long. Especially in those water routes have to defeat the swimmers. I actually like the artwork by Ken and Its good for those situation.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I couldn't believe if they did NOT make it in the same style as XY. I'm personally glad they didn't get remade in 5th gen, for me it just wouldn't of been a big enough leap, graphics wise and such. I do hope Pokemon-amie returns for RS, however ><

Years
  • They need to do something more with the trainer cut-scenes entering battles of important NPCs, like Team Magma/Aqua bosses, gym leaders, and more. Have them do a motion with their hands or jump into a stance of some sort, and state a tagline to kick off the fight. I'd like to see something along those lines in ORAS.

Years
  • With the new E3 trailer, looks like they are splitting it in half. They're keeping the 3D Models for Pokemon Battles, (and I love how it looks), plus their doing the Gym Leader mugshots it looks like. If you haven't seen the trailer, watch it here.

At various parts in the video, you can see the 3D battling, and at 0:27, you can see Roxanne, the Rustboro city gym leaders mugshot.

I personally like the mugshots more than the 3D art since it gives me a good feeling of nostalgia. (Plus the mugshots are good for making banners ;D)

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023

Sugimori doesn't do the artwork that's used in-game. Yusuke Ohmura did all of the 2D Trainer artwork that's used in-game (he also did the Gym Leaders in B/W, and he did everything in B2/W2).

However, Sugimori did do the official artwork for Calem, Serena, Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, all of Team Flare, and AZ. This might not be a coincidence, but those exact Trainers also used 3D models in-battle.

Years
  • I wanted every trainer to have a 3D model but now that we saw the first footage of the game, it won't happen! :( Although, I like the artworks! They're nice!

Back