• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the glass half empty, or half full?

XxZer0xX

......................... Beep.
Years
  • It's half-full when you're pouring the glass. It's half-empty when you're drinking it. Simple. But in the "other words" part, I'd say it's neither. I'm stuck between the two and it's always spilling and getting refilled.

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    I'm in between the two. I guess you could call me a realist, but I tend to be a little more optimistic. It really depends on the situation.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    How do you view the glass? In other words, are you more of a pessimist or an optimist?

Just because you view the glass as half empty does not mean you're a pessimist type of person. Anyone can be raised to think that something is half empty by their parents, or maybe one's surroundings are always saying something is half empty, or half incomplete rather than half full and half complete. Saying something is half empty is simply putting emphasis on what isn't in the cup. Just because something is half empty doesn't mean the person views everything negatively, thus being a pessimist.

I, myself, see the cup as half full, yet I can be optimistic and pessimistic. :\

Years
  • It's always half-empty. I'm very pessimistic most of the time. Why else am I dreading the summer? I think it's going to suck. I hardly look on the positive parts of it... D:

Sexycheese

Bye :)
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    How do you view the glass? In other words, are you more of a pessimist or an optimist?

I see myself as more of an optimist. I try and find the good in all situations, and I try to stay happy even when times are at its worst.

When things hit rock bottom, do you try to keep a smile, or do you surrender and call it hopeless? How do you view your glass?

I Think the glass is half empty as why make a lie to make things seem better? Best to be blunt and not bother with optimism as people will respect you for your realistic grasp on life ...Strange I know but its true!

It's always half-empty. I'm very pessimistic most of the time. Why else am I dreading the summer? I think it's going to suck. I hardly look on the positive parts of it... D:

Yay! Finaly someone who has a realsitic view on life!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Im a progressive optimist.

Why worry about how full or empty the glass is. Let's be more concerned about what's in it and how good it tastes :D

Why worry about the small details when missing the bigger picture?

Sexycheese

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Im a progressive optimist.

Why worry about how full or empty the glass is. Let's be more concerned about what's in it and how good it tastes :D

Why worry about the small details when missing the bigger picture?

I can see your point of view but lets say the contents do taste good, Surely one would be thinking why is there only half a glass instead of a full one? Also you should worry about small details as by missing them you could miss a part of the "bigger picture" ? I must sound so depressing but being realistic is how you go far in life.

Years
  • I can see your point of view but lets say the contents do taste good, Surely one would be thinking why is there only half a glass instead of a full one? Also you should worry about small details as by missing them you could miss a part of the "bigger picture" ? I must sound so depressing but being realistic is how you go far in life.

Okay, so assuming the contents do taste good, what is preventing you from simply refilling it? And if refilling it isnt an option, guess what, its a glass. Full of good tasting stuff. There's more important things in life than worrying about the small details of a half full drink. :P

Worrying about the small details of such insignificant things is preventative. If you're saying that worrying about the small details of a glass is being realistic and thus helps you get further in life, then maybe you need to step outside the box and take a good hard look at what you're obsessing over. Realism is generally viewed as pessimistic, because most realists are analytical, and most analysts are negative.

You can still be a realist and be optimistic. It just requires that little bit more.

Sexycheese

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Okay, so assuming the contents do taste good, what is preventing you from simply refilling it? And if refilling it isnt an option, guess what, its a glass. Full of good tasting stuff. There's more important things in life than worrying about the small details of a half full drink. :P

Worrying about the small details of such insignificant things is preventative. If you're saying that worrying about the small details of a glass is being realistic and thus helps you get further in life, then maybe you need to step outside the box and take a good hard look at what you're obsessing over. Realism is generally viewed as pessimistic, because most realists are analytical, and most analysts are negative.

You can still be a realist and be optimistic. It just requires that little bit more.
    I see your point of view and the glass is too much to obsess over but it was simply an example.You mention you could refill the glass, What if you could not? By being negative one can find the possible faults and problems and prepare for the worst (in the case of the glass its petty) but on other things e.g:running out of fossil fuels, no food to feed people ect (slightly dramatic I know) the negative detect these possible problems and prepare for them. Your view is very good though. Ever considered a carrer in philosophy?

Years
  • I see your point of view and the glass is too much to obsess over but it was simply an example.You mention you could refill the glass, What if you could not? By being negative one can find the possible faults and problems and prepare for the worst (in the case of the glass its petty) but on other things e.g:running out of fossil fuels, no food to feed people ect (slightly dramatic I know) the negative detect these possible problems and prepare for them. Your view is very good though. Ever considered a carrer in philosophy?

Hah philosophy, no. From a optimistically realist perspective, i know that philosophy is one of my strong points and extremely interesting, but not one of the best career choices i can make to exploit my full potential.

By being an optimist does not mean that you are blatantly oblivious to whats happening around you. What i have perceived from your statement is that only pessimists can see the unfavourable events occuring in our world, and this is incredibly inaccurate. I am a wholehearted optimist, and i know well that these horrible events are occuring in our world today. But with an optimistic approach, I do what i can to assist in the balancing of a better world and the eventual progression of humankind.

Which links me back to my original statement, you dont need to be a pessimist to be realist. There's always two ways to approach things. Back to the all famous half-empty half-full argument. In the end it's how you view the situation. You can still see just as much of the glass if you think of it half full opposed to half empty.

In the end it's your personal view on things ;)

Sexycheese

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Hah philosophy, no. From a optimistically realist perspective, i know that philosophy is one of my strong points and extremely interesting, but not one of the best career choices i can make to exploit my full potential.

By being an optimist does not mean that you are blatantly oblivious to whats happening around you. What i have perceived from your statement is that only pessimists can see the unfavourable events occuring in our world, and this is incredibly inaccurate. I am a wholehearted optimist, and i know well that these horrible events are occuring in our world today. But with an optimistic approach, I do what i can to assist in the balancing of a better world and the eventual progression of humankind.

Which links me back to my original statement, you dont need to be a pessimist to be realist. There's always two ways to approach things. Back to the all famous half-empty half-full argument. In the end it's how you view the situation. You can still see just as much of the glass if you think of it half full opposed to half empty.

In the end it's your personal view on things ;)

....Interesting....You are right,it is your personal view on things...I will have to think about my views....Shame about the philosophy thing as you could be very good in that field But anyway.....If you are optimistic and look for the best in things what happens if the worst happens? You feel upset but by being negtive the impact of the worst senario is much less....

Years
  • ....Interesting....You are right,it is your personal view on things...I will have to think about my views....Shame about the philosophy thing as you could be very good in that field But anyway.....If you are optimistic and look for the best in things what happens if the worst happens? You feel upset but by being negtive the impact of the worst senario is much less....

You are correct that pessimists are more prepared for negative effects, but are also more prone to negative occurances in a sense. Simply for the fact that they are expecting the worst and dont aspire to achieve the best.

So tell me, from the mouth of a pessimist, how do you react to a situation in which you expect the worst outcome, but instead receive the best? Do you continue to be pessimistic about the occurance or is there an aspect of optimism in a pessimists life? :P

Optimists that are unfortunate enough to persist through a raw deal and end up with the worst outcome will still, if strong hearted enough, look at the situation optimistically. A frequent quote of mine is :

'with every heart broken is a lesson learnt'

Sometimes it takes a great deal of emotional or phyisical pain for an individual to learn something (namely me) and with every sour situation i encounter and emerge through i always look back at it with a smile in knowing that i've become a more improved and better person because of it.

Again, it all comes down to the capability of yourself and your personal views :)

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • It's both; I've never really gotten around on claiming it one way or the other.

Cid

Years
  • I've always thought that the glass is half-full... But if I'm thirsty and when I drink a glass half-filled with water and I think I'm still thirsty, I think of it as half-empty lol...

Sexycheese

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    You are correct that pessimists are more prepared for negative effects, but are also more prone to negative occurances in a sense. Simply for the fact that they are expecting the worst and dont aspire to achieve the best.

So tell me, from the mouth of a pessimist, how do you react to a situation in which you expect the worst outcome, but instead receive the best? Do you continue to be pessimistic about the occurance or is there an aspect of optimism in a pessimists life? :P

Optimists that are unfortunate enough to persist through a raw deal and end up with the worst outcome will still, if strong hearted enough, look at the situation optimistically. A frequent quote of mine is :

'with every heart broken is a lesson learnt'

Sometimes it takes a great deal of emotional or phyisical pain for an individual to learn something (namely me) and with every sour situation i encounter and emerge through i always look back at it with a smile in knowing that i've become a more improved and better person because of it.

Again, it all comes down to the capability of yourself and your personal views :)

As a pessimist Whaen the best thing happens i feel very good but i see if there are any negative effects that could entail with the happiness.

I used to be very optimistic about everything but when you look at life nowerdays you see how little there is to be positive about. I think I speak for a few pessimists who have had bad experiences that the only way to avoid emotional or physical pain is to have prepared for it. and I quote your expression

"with every heart broken is a lesson learned"

What if someone has had their heart broken too many times and don`t want it to happen again?Surely that is a lesson to be learned, simply prepare for possible upset so it does not happen again....

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    I am 85% optimist! I always look on the positive side of life. Although, i am turning a little pessimistic. I guess you have to be prepared for everything.

Back