• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there other life in the Universe?

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
  • Well, the chances of it existing somewhere out there are high, but it will have to be very far away, farther away than the technology of today can take us. If there was life just somewhat close by, we would've picked up radio waves by now, wouldn't we? Of course, there are also the possibilities that another civilization in our vicinity may not be as advanced as us, or that a given civilization ended up destroying itself, just like we're about to.

EDIT: Furthermore, I agree very much with Zevil.

Last edited:

ZeviL

Nihilist
    Years
  • Well, the chances of it existing somewhere out there are high, but it will have to be very far away, farther away than the technology of today can take us. If there was life just somewhat close by, we would've picked up radio waves by now, wouldn't we? Of course, there are also the possibilities that another civilization in our vicinity may not be as advanced as us, or that a given civilization ended up destroying itself, just like we're about to.

EDIT: Furthermore, I agree very much with Zevil.

Another point I would like to make is, why must we assume that aliens must have superior technology in contrast to ours? Also, it is not farfetched to believe that there might be aliens with incredible technology BUT had already gone extinct. We humans might be the civilisation with the most advanced technology out there, you might never know.

Years
  • I think it's cool that in a few hundred years people might be zipping around the galaxies and look at us now and say, "Wow, these guys weren't even sure if life existed elsewhere." I don't think any of us will ever find out, sadly.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Another point I would like to make is, why must we assume that aliens must have superior technology in contrast to ours? Also, it is not farfetched to believe that there might be aliens with incredible technology BUT had already gone extinct. We humans might be the civilisation with the most advanced technology out there, you might never know.

My point exactly. (: - We know s**t about the Universe, so there is really nothing we can take for granted. But we can always wonder.

ZeviL

Nihilist
    Years
  • I think it's cool that in a few hundred years people might be zipping around the galaxies and look at us now and say, "Wow, these guys weren't even sure if life existed elsewhere." I don't think any of us will ever find out, sadly.

True. It's unfortunate that all of us here will die without knowing if extraterrestrial life ever existed. Sometimes it makes me down thinking about it.:(

Years
  • I've already heard that, and that is what I meant with the stupid theist reasoning. Yeah I know both come from an entirely different place, but both end with a "So god/aliens exists" feel.
    Aliens don't have any proof, like religion, but have a much higher probability of existing than gods. Not to say gods don't exist, but at least there are some numbers pointing towards the likelihood of alien life whereas with religion we have nothing to work with - you can't really compare the two. It would be more narrow minded to say "we're the only ones here, God made US special" than to say "there are DEFINITELY aliens out there" - even though there is no way of knowing for sure with our current technology, the chances are very high that among trillions of galaxies containing hundreds of billions of stars each that there's at least one other life form.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • It's a big world. There could be little green men, bug eyed monsters, Elgyem and Beheeyem, or maybe they're like humans. But we may never know.
    However, they haven't found us either.

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • I would think more realistically. Instead of thinking of highly adapted, well civilized, high technological advancements type species, I think about animals. Maybe other life has about the same intellect of a dog. Maybe there's some planet out there with herds of some slimy, green, form of slime that is living but not highly intelligent. There's also one more question. Why do people always associate aliens with a greenish color?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I would think more realistically. Instead of thinking of highly adapted, well civilized, high technological advancements type species, I think about animals. Maybe other life has about the same intellect of a dog. Maybe there's some planet out there with herds of some slimy, green, form of slime that is living but not highly intelligent. There's also one more question. Why do people always associate aliens with a greenish color?

I like to think even more realistically - life in the universe has to be present and the most common would be simple traces of bacteria that hasn't really progressed through evolution enough to become something prominent. Of course, there's always the afterthought that some civilization of extraterrestrial lifeforms have evolved past us, that they monitor us or that they have abducted us and it's a slim possibility but I reckon we would have figured it out by now.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    One: Not to be a grammar nag, but that is not how you use a semi-colon.

Two: ... What?

One: To indicate interdependent statements. To clarify my own phrase.

Two: I feel that the universe is a life itself, meaning that there is more outside of what we see. I didn't feel like being black and white, I was hoping my point would be read into, rather than just skimming the surface of what I said.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    So, we have all (well most of us) at one point in our lives wondered weather there is other life forms (even humans) exsisting in the vast Universe, take Aliens for example, most people believe that's all rubbish, but is there proof that they don't exsist, where did the term Aliens come from in the first place and why are there still stories on this, surely someone must have seen something out of the ordinary and gave it this title?

There are surely millions upon billions of Planets with Earth like features out in the Universe quite likely sustatining life only they haven't been discovered yet, so whos to say that we're the only Human life to exsist? surely that would be too rare to be true and we can't say for sure untill we find actual evidence on other Planets.

So what do you think, do you think life exsists in other parts of the Universe, or are alone?

I believe life exists in other parts of the Universe. It may or may not take the form of a human, but it's still (probably intelligent) life. The Universe is just so big and there are so many other solar systems out there (many of them out of range of our best telescopes) and some of them can support life.

Back