• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: Pokemon Satanism Scandal!

Years
    Courtesy of: Bublapedia.

------
    Some fundamentalist Christian groups have accused Pokémon as being linked to Satanism. The following is a summarized and possibly incomplete list of their reasons for this accusation:

• Pokémon are like demons. They are captured and must be called upon to perform tasks.
    • Magical talismans (supposedly a reference to Gym Badges) are needed to control them.
    • Pokémon evolve. Though this transformation is more akin to metamorphosis in most Pokémon, the theory of evolution is denied entirely by the most fundamentalist creationists, who believe that all things as they are presently were divinely inspired.
      • Some Pokémon evolution even requires the use of certain magical stones.
    • Many Pokémon have extraordinary paranormal powers, notably Psychic-types. Those with Psychic powers are labeled as having been given these powers by Satan in the Bible itself.
    • Many Pokémon embody or practice East Asian spiritual or mystical concepts, being that the franchise originated in Japan. Many right-wing groups denounce these as pagan rituals.
    • Some claim that if one were to play backwards the Pokérap, "Gotta Catch 'em All!" can be heard as "I love Satan".
    ------

Note that Pokemon doesn't produce anything like that!

Formula380

Supersonic
    Years
    Well yeah. See how evil Pichu is? And just look at Shuckle. That thing will rip your head off and eat your innards.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Pokémon are like demons. They are captured and must be called upon to perform tasks.
    That's almost like saying animals are demons. Animals may not be 'captured', but they are 'kept' and you can get them to do 'tricks' and 'tasks', like I can get my dog to pick stuff up off the floor if it falls or I drop it and give it to me.

Magical talismans (supposedly a reference to Gym Badges) are needed to control them.
    XD Lolz. . Sorry, but that just makes me laugh. . Anyway, I can't say there's anything to compare it to the real world, but I have never seen magical talismans used anywhere besides in mythology. .

Pokémon evolve. Though this transformation is more akin to metamorphosis in most Pokémon, the theory of evolution is denied entirely by the most fundamentalist creationists, who believe that all things as they are presently were divinely inspired.
    I'd say they go more through a 'metamorphosis' process, like a frog.

Some Pokémon evolution even requires the use of certain magical stones.
    And that has what to do with Satanism?

Many Pokémon have extraordinary paranormal powers, notably Psychic-types. Those with Psychic powers are labeled as having been given these powers by Satan in the Bible itself.
    This isn't necessarily true at all. There are some people with an extra-sensitive 'sixth sense' or powers that we can't explain who aren't evil. This is a case of 'generalization'.

Many Pokémon embody or practice East Asian spiritual or mystical concepts, being that the franchise originated in Japan. Many right-wing groups denounce these as pagan rituals.
    The only comment I have for this: WTF?

Some claim that if one were to play backwards the Pokérap, "Gotta Catch 'em All!" can be heard as "I love Satan".
    Some people say that about every song. This isn't news. If you play any song backwards, some crackpot will tell you "OMG! THEY SAID HAIL SATAN!" or some bull.

That's just my take on it anyway.​

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
    That's all extremist fundamentalist crap. You shouldn't pay any attention to those; there are hate groups for practically everything, and most of the times for the stupidest of reasons.

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
    You know whats funny people research so much into this to prove its evil but if you read one of the removed exerts from the bible it is explicitly stated that King Solomon control literal daemons who did his bidding, this is noted later in the bible when Jesus is exorcising demon he states, "Fear not, it is I who is greater than Solomon." This quote brought up many questions as to why jesus didn't say greater than David, this is because of the removed part of the bible XD...

Anyways eff with anything enough and its satanism to some person....

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Damn it! We where so long without a thread that reminded me of how stupid some people can get :\

I know there is nothing wrong with reading the bible 100000000gazillion times but... get a life you people.

Now please excuse me. There is a rabid Pikachu that is eating my brother with a strange red person with horns.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    This is nothing new...Fundamentalist Christian websites hae been around since the beginning of the Internet with the sole purpose of convincing others that in order to get to Heaven, you have to abdicate anything in this life one might consider devious of Jesus's teachings. As a confirmed Roman Catholic myself, I can tell you that Fundamentalist Christians are wrong wrong wrong.

There's nothing Satanic about Pokemon, nothing particularly satanic about anything really...unless someone actually becomes possessed by a demon, but that's it...These Fudamentalist Christians are only in the business to get attention and to scare you into seeing things their way by making you belive God is a cold and heartless father figure when he's actually loving and forgiving. Not all Christians are like Margerite Perrin...

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
    They're fundamentalists...what do you expect? They have a problem with everything, and it gets annoying very quickly as well as predictable. They just complain and say that (enter tv show or video game here) should be taken off the air and off shelves because it "influences our children to become satanists" or it "corrupts their minds."

Rinku

Is back for "REVENGENCE."
    Years
    Just a bunch of religious bullcrap. I'm not letting my freaking religion get in the way of my gaming! People make excuses all the time to scare kids.

OOOOOOHHHH but wait, do they say anything about Naruto's nine-tailed fox demon? I've heard nothing about that. That (unlike pokemon) is actually referred to as a DEMON while pokemon are just....Pokemon. Religions are messed up, man.

Last edited:

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Don't let examples of extreme religious people like this skew your view on religion as a whole. I'm a spiritual person and I'm not a complete douchebag.

But crazy people will be crazy. The cases that the original poster cited are just..baffling as to how anyone could buy into that.

But I'm not surprised. I know homeschooled kids that couldn't watch the Ninja Turtles or Jurrasic Park. Or when they watched disney shows like Alladin they had to fast forward through any scenes involving magic or other religions.

It's scary.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Pokemon is just something for fun. I'm a Christian myself, and I even live in the Bible Belt. I have never heard anyone down here call it Satanic, and I will stress that I'm in the heart of the Bible Belt. It's pretty up tight to think of it that way. It's just a game, so they should get their panties out of their crack if they care so much. I doubt the creator himself even put Satanic thought into the game; that involves too much thinking.

Ayselipera

Just ignore it. Extreme religious groups are often ignorant of other people and their customs. They're always going after people or things that they think will steer people away from what they believe. Overall they are just very close minded.

Rinku

Is back for "REVENGENCE."
    Years
    Just as Autumn said, they find anything that looks like it's against religion, and they attack it and rant about it. They should be worried about all this war and crap throughout the world instead of a video game. Heck, where in the Bible does it say that blowing up and murdering people is not as big a deal as Pokemon barely showing (or meaning) religious disbelief? Yes, I am a Christian, but certainly not an extreme one. I am often upset about what some people of this religion do.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Note: Shinji, I am in no way disagreeing with you, if anything I am playing devil's advocate, because I too, do not like what these Fundamentalists preach, believe etc. I will merely point out as to why they believe in such a thing, and to some extent why their argument is valid, but I can still prove further that our arguments against there's are rational.If you guys want more talk on interesting subjects like these, you should join my group: Pokemon and Philosophy.

Quote:
    Pokémon are like demons. They are captured and must be called upon to perform tasks.
    That's almost like saying animals are demons. Animals may not be 'captured', but they are 'kept' and you can get them to do 'tricks' and 'tasks', like I can get my dog to pick stuff up off the floor if it falls or I drop it and give it to me.

The main argument that they would have with this, is because these "demons" have powers. Now I'm not read up on the bible or anything, but it is generally thought, that any sort of non-mortal power is inhuman, and thus relegating into the realm of "God-like" powers. This would be the same reason why Fundamentalists argue against Harry Potter and Wizardry, because they command a sort of power (more on that subject for HP related stuff another time :P). But because this is fictional, it would be rational to suggest that like you said, are just like regular animals, or at least a comparison of. The other point to make about this, is simply about how they look, the funny thing is, I think the Fundamentalists, forget how some creatures might look in real life. But of course, because they know this is fictional, and thus someone had to draw them, that that is evil initself.

Quote:
    Magical talismans (supposedly a reference to Gym Badges) are needed to control them.
    XD Lolz. . Sorry, but that just makes me laugh. . Anyway, I can't say there's anything to compare it to the real world, but I have never seen magical talismans used anywhere besides in mythology. .

Magical talismans were common in lot's of cultures ;) Like Maya, Native Americans etc, the main reason why talismans is an argument against Pokemon is because it puts one's "faith" into an object, somewhat like an idol. The fallacy with this though, is that any form of technology can be labelled in the same way. So a Fundamentalist using a blackberry or the internet could be using their own talisman.
    Quote:
    Pokémon evolve. Though this transformation is more akin to metamorphosis in most Pokémon, the theory of evolution is denied entirely by the most fundamentalist creationists, who believe that all things as they are presently were divinely inspired.
    I'd say they go more through a 'metamorphosis' process, like a frog.

Fundamentalists have agreed that macro-evolution takes place. However we already know that evolution as a whole exists, there is no denying it whatsoever... Infact it is still possible to believe in creationism and evolutionism. But that again is going to another tangent. The Fundamentalists for whatever reason (because they think fiction in general is some mind altering conspiracry that tells us to become Atheists) believe that by Pokemon telling us that they evolve, that Gamefreak etc. is trying to promote athiesm.

Has it ever occured to them that Gamefreak etc, merely wants to sell their product? I mean they could write a story about baby eaters and still go home like there was nothing wrong, simply because they are a business, they are made to appease the consumer.
    Quote:
    Some Pokémon evolution even requires the use of certain magical stones.
    And that has what to do with Satanism?

Satanism, is the worship of the devil (though like Christianity, there are several different sects of Satanism), thus the path astray from God. Fundamentalists believe that whatever you believe (that is wrong) is as a result of Satan, trying to get you off the path of Christ (or something like that). That the only way to be saved is to follow God. The same argument with the talismans can be placed here as well.
    Quote:
    Many Pokémon have extraordinary paranormal powers, notably Psychic-types. Those with Psychic powers are labeled as having been given these powers by Satan in the Bible itself.
    This isn't necessarily true at all. There are some people with an extra-sensitive 'sixth sense' or powers that we can't explain who aren't evil. This is a case of 'generalization'.

Again their argument of "power" (like above) can be applied here. Basically they believe that God is the only one that has power, regardless of anything else. But like I said, this is a fictional work, and as long as the person understands that, then that person would be quite rational.

The thing is, Fundamentalists don't give credit to humanity (specifically children), they believe that we are being easily brainwashed. While this isn't 100% false (in some respects), I think we can discern what is real or what is not. Not to mention, that they've come under fire for their own brand of brainwashing as well.
    Quote:
    Many Pokémon embody or practice East Asian spiritual or mystical concepts, being that the franchise originated in Japan. Many right-wing groups denounce these as pagan rituals.
    The only comment I have for this: WTF?

Yep, they only believe that their religion is the religion that will follow the Rapture or something like that. (refer to the episode in South Park XD)
    Quote:
    Some claim that if one were to play backwards the Pokérap, "Gotta Catch 'em All!" can be heard as "I love Satan".
    Some people say that about every song. This isn't news. If you play any song backwards, some crackpot will tell you "OMG! THEY SAID HAIL SATAN!" or some bull.

It's also pretty easy to place the bad backwards lyrics after the original song is reversed, than tweaking it, to make it sound like part of the backwards song.

Needless to say like you said, that could be said about every song. But also that you'd think that they were merely creating an english dubbed song, for a business, that would pay them, no subtext, no anything else, just a song.

That's just my take on it anyway.

I hope that clarity helped :)

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Aye. It's because everything's obviously a conspiracy.
    Once again, I say the only real problem with Pokemon on the religious front is that people (mainly children) can make it the center of their existence, instead of focusing on God. But, then, almost anything can do that.

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
    I'm just curious if the thread starter thought anyone would be on the side o fthe church... I mean obviously if they think its satanist they wont be on here... I dont know.. just doesnt make much sense... It's like telling us all something we all already know and then telling us to spit on them while there backs are turned.... SO I SUPPORT IT XD

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I never really care about this stuff since these people need to get a real job, I myself am against the Bible not directly but I don't like it and I wouldn't want anyone to make me believe in anything they say since I've actually read through it and I found too many faults within it.

icemanya

♥♥♥♥♥
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2010
    Seriously. This just makes me so angry and so mad that arrrrrrrrrr. They see what they want to see. Everything is from the devil and hell. I can say a simple sentence, and they can turn it to something that they want. Hey remove all the vogals from this post and you can spell "i love satan" Seriously it just makes me really angry.

Back