• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It was my understanding that there would be no math.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    What are your favorite subjects in school? How about your least favorite? Explain, if necessary.

Personally, my favorites are business administration and math. But not geometry, I hate that. D: Business administration is just awesome, though. And since I want to start a business it actually seems like something I'll use in life.

My least favorites are science and English. Now, it's not that I dislike science, it's just science class. I hate the ridiculous amount of group projects we have to do. I get really nervous about interacting with people, so group projects aren't fun. And English I just can't stand. I hate reading what somebody else wants me to. I don't want to read fiction books, for developers sake! And unlike everyone else in my class, I understand what nouns are. So can we stop doing those underline the noun worksheets already?! I mean, we're in 10th grade! English is really just too easy. xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I hate math. It should burn. I do not understand why I need to take three higher math classes after pre-cal. My major is elementary education, not hard as hell mathematics. Plus I mean, when do I need to really know about invisible numbers, square roots, and all that jazz? Is that like...going to benefit me when I'm a teacher? I think it's just for torture. I know all the math I need to know tbqh. This just makes me want to change majors and then well if I did that, there would be no one to teach the kiddies. Is that what they want? The education system is bad enough in Alabama, and now they want to piss off the elem ed majors by giving us unnecessary math, so we'll all change majors to like geology, pathological dog brain studies, religion of bagpipes, or something useless. And then there won't be any teachers for the kids. WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN????

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    One of my favorite subjects is math because of the analysis involved to solve the problems. I don't like English because I don't like writing analyses of what I read.

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    my favorite subjects are maths and history
    my least favorite are economics , sanskrit and computer .

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Music, Sports class and Art are my favorite subjects at school because they're fun, especially maths because I'm allowed to do anything I want (I'm also allowed to go home as I live quite close to the school and there are noting better for me to do. :D) My least favorite subjects are History, English and Physics because the History teacher is really strict and I don't really like history and I don't really see the point of learning about the past and the reason I hate English is because I suck at it and the teacher is really strict too. D: I actually like physics because it's really easy but the teacher is really mean and gives us tons of homework. ;(

OriginGiratina

Dragon-type Trainer
    Years
    My favourite subjects are English, because if I couldn't speak and understand English I would be useless, Computers, because you can do almost anything with them and Sports, because we are free to play football, basketball and volleyball with our classmates and we find some time to relax.

I hate Maths, because they are very difficult, Ancient Greek, because they are VERY difficult and different than Modern Greek and History, because you must learn everything that people did

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
    Well, back when I was in school (about five years ago) my favourite subjects were Art and History. Art because I enjoyed the atmosphere in the room - music, occasional videos and generally lack of pressure to work - and History because I've always found that interesting. My least favourite subject was French, but after I was allowed to give it up, it was Science...Chemistry and Biology, anyway. Physics was fun enough.

Years
    What the hell is with all the hate on Mathematics in this topic ¬________¬

I don't like math. It's pointless and stupid.

Especially this. This is the most blindingly ignorant statement I have read in a very long time and as a Mathematician, I cannot let this slide. No Maths you learn is 'pointless' or 'stupid'. Period. At the bare minimum the Maths you learn trains your mind to think logically. By extension, it augments your ability to engage in any problems you may come across in life. Look around you. Furniture, technology and literally anything man made requires Mathematics to create. Whether you like it or not, Mathematics exists everywhere. And you dare have the nerve to ridicule it? Absurd and completely outrageous. It's people like you that make me lose what little faith I have left in society.

Just try and refute me.

-----------------------------------------

As for me, my favourite subject is Physics followed by Maths. My college Physics class back in the day was filled with hilarious moments. One of the funniest things was when we were looking at the sun through sheets of polarized material. We each had two sheets and the idea was to have them perpendicular to each other as that is the most effective way to polarize light. This one guy was looking at the sun through his polarized sheets and asked "hey is the sun really purple?" and then he removed the sheets away and was like "Aaargh!" as the sun temporarily blinded him. As for my Maths class, our teacher was ridiculously nice. She certainly did have her stricter moments don't get me wrong but as a whole she was really kind. The coolest thing she did was take our entire maths class (it only consisted of around seven people - we had two college maths classes) out to pizza and she paid for the whole thing! It was amazingly awesome and we all had a great time.

It helps that I genuinely enjoy the two subjects as well. I also enjoyed Physical Education as it's good to unwind from studying and let loose on the field.

As for my dislikes, it's stuff like History and English where you have to write long as hell essays. My handwriting is chicken scratch to say the least so I don't like to write for lengthy periods of time. Apart from the writing, GCSE English was a pretty decent class though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What the hell is with all the hate on Mathematics in this topic ¬________¬

Especially this. This is the most blindingly ignorant statement I have read in a very long time and as a Mathematician, I cannot let this slide. No Maths you learn is 'pointless' or 'stupid'. Period. At the bare minimum the Maths you learn trains your mind to think logically. By extension, it augments your ability to engage in any problems you may come across in life. Look around you. Furniture, technology and literally anything man made requires Mathematics to create. Whether you like it or not, Mathematics exists everywhere. And you dare have the nerve to ridicule it? Absurd and completely outrageous. It's people like you that make me lose what little faith I have left in society.

Just try and refute me.

To be fair, although I agree that a lot of math is very useful, once you get into the higher math there can be a point in which it's no longer relevant to what you plan to do in life and, in that case, becomes pointless. Use Syd for example. She will be teaching children addition and subtraction and the like. Having her know how to take the integral of (3x^2/sqrt(1+(x^6)) won't help her in her future career at all. I don't think anyone meant that no one should learn math, just that it's unrelated to what they want to do in life beyond the basics.

Although if you're going into a field that could be related to math even tangentially, I wouldn't call any of it pointless till you're settled in your career. You can never know everything about your future career, so it may hold more math than you know.

My favorite classes are the ones focusing on programming, like Fundamentals of Computing. Omg I love code so so much I couldn't live without it. I do it when I don't have to.

Least favorite would have to be history, even though I don't take it in college. It's pretty much straight memorization imo; memorize this date, memorize this person, memorize what happened. It's annoying.

Years
    I don't like math. It's pointless and stupid.

Yes... pointless... Without it, you wouldn't be able to do the basic of things in your life, like buy things or work out how much they are together.

I didn't mind mathematics. I loved IT, Science and Music Tech in secondary school.
    Then college and University I chose the subjects I wanted to do.​

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I absolutely love maths, it's actually my favourite subject in school, and if I would have had physics, that would be my second fav. My least favourite is probably German class, not because I don't like language, but because it is so freaking boring.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2011
    My absolute favorite would have to be physics, followed by maths. My least favorite is sociology.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
    This probably doesn't count as its own subject, but, as an almost-somewhat-succesful guitarist, Guitar class is easily my favorite. As far as real school subjects go, English wins by a mile. I actually enjoy most of the reading, especially "Frankenstein" and "As I Lay Dying". I absolutely HATED biology, with a capital skull. I could really care less about how a plant does freaking photosynthesis, or what all the parts of a cell are. (I did like the combustion lab in that class, tho. Walnut make big fire.) Math is ok, I just hate staying awake during the freaking notes. I don't have a history class or a buisness class this year for some reason, so any hatred I ever had towards them last year has faded away.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Math and the sciences were my favorites, especially chemistr. I also took an interest in economics/finance and computer classes. I like working with numbers and things like that.

College made me like math a bit less because it became just so damn difficult as I got into my senior year of college, but I still enjoy it to an extent.

Least favorite was Phys Ed (if that counts as a subject) since I don't have the physical strength and English due to having to read lots of stuff I didn't care for (too many novels from the 1800's, not enough nonfiction reference books related to automobiles).

Years
    Favorites? History, mostly because I just love learning about the past. :) Some sciences were pretty fun, too, like astronomy and geology. (Chemistry was blah, too much math for my tastes, and tbh I never learned a thing about physics in Physics class due to an idiot teacher.) Art, the few times I took it. I'm junk at it but it's fun to do!

Least favorites? PE, by far. It's not that I didn't like exercise, it's that I am awful at sports. No coordination skills and no strength. My favorite PE class by far was aerobics because it was self-oriented and there were no winners and losers. If PE had been like that all my years I would've enjoyed it more. After that, oddly enough, English. I loved the reading and only hated one required reading ever (The Scarlet Letter), but essays were a pain to write because analysis isn't my strong suit. Lots of things fly over my head and I tended to misinterpret and look like an idiot.

Ayselipera

My favorite subject is History. I'm really good at it and I really enjoy learning about it. English comes second because I love the reading aspect of it. I think it helps opening me up to books I wouldn't normally read or really just getting me to read altogether because I can be fairly lazy about it.

As for least favorite I hate math with every inch of my body. I've dreaded it for as long as I can remember and I'm absolutely terrible at it. So bad in fact that for my first year of high school I was put in the lowest level math class there was. Then the next year they took away the low levels and put everyone in regular level math classes which I came within points of failing. So for my third year the school went about and put together a Math Apps class which was just freshman based algebra and geometry combined and threw everyone in it who nearly failed their second year of math. So because of that I was not able to take Algebra II my junior year and without it I cannot attend a four year college. So now I have been forced to take it my senior year in a class full of juniors. It's really wonderful and not terrible at all<333

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I've despised Math in general and I even though some of it were pointless (ex. proofs in Geometry - incidentally is actually one of the more useful aspects of Math in terms of teaching critical thinking), up until I was introduced to calculus around last year, which I found to be rather fun last year. I've always feared having to use Math for programming, but heck, I love Math now. I'm actually enjoying it as it gets harder.

I'm behind in taking physics (should've started it 2 years ago), but I'm sure I'll love it this year.

That being said, no subject is useless. Saying that any of core subjects, maybe even many of elective subjects, are "useless" is just plain ignorant IMHO. (bar "Harry Potter" major in NYU)

Last edited:

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    My least favorite subject is unsurprisingly mathematics (it seems to be a trend in this thread). I used to be really good at it until I hit Geometry and got booted out of Honors. I still get straight As in normal-level mathematics (and now AP Statistics), but I hate it. Oh, and AP Chem.

My favorite subject was Computer Graphics, but now it's English.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Least favorite is Math. I hate Math because I always fail and it's so hard. It overflows me with stress, too.

Most favorite? noneEnglish but book reports can get very annoying. I also like science but I'm not interested with all the force stuff. I love Geography in every part of my body but my school doesn't teach about it but I don't care. Geography is nice.

Back