• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's Horrible

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • :( The only Pokemon game I've played on a ROM is Ranger 2. I'm not too proud of it but I wouldn't have bought or played the game otherwise. Maybe if I find it cheap I'll buy it one day to ease the guilt a little though, haha.
    I just thought to add something else.

Imagine you had 2 million copies of a recipe for cookies and you wanted to sell them for $25 each. You sell them, but some people copy your recipe and distribute this recipe for free around. You still gain the $50 million from selling them, but other people gain them as well, but you don't actually lose.
    ...that makes no sense. Of course they're losing. The people who download only download because the option is there. Even if you don't have much money, if you couldn't download the games and wanted to play them, you'd save up to get them or just deal with it. If you download it, you aren't gonna want to buy a legit copy since you can't easily transfer your .sav over to it so why bother? It might not be much if only one person does it but when you multiply it by thousands upon thousands, it adds up.

Also, just fyi to everyone, it's still illegal to download the ROMs even if you own the game.

Electricz

Sevipers number one fan
    Years
  • i only download them cuz i dont want my friends to know i still play pokemon also my mum and dad are broke they dont get much money and they got to use all there money on bills and food

Gimmy

Rotommmmmmmmmmmmmmnomnom.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2009
    I don't get the same feeling from playing games on my computer than I do on my good old Ds/GBA/GBC. I downloaded Pokemon Gold once but I can't play it because its not the same for some reason. XD

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • I just thought to add something else.

Imagine you had 2 million copies of a recipe for cookies and you wanted to sell them for $25 each. You sell them, but some people copy your recipe and distribute this recipe for free around. You still gain the $50 million from selling them, but other people gain them as well, but you don't actually lose.
    My purpose was actually to relate NINTENDO events with cookies. The discrimination of the event-only pokemon is why the old-school pokemon fans lost their faith to NINTENDO and prefered roms to games. Of course, a rookie pokemon fan would have to download roms (the older pokemon games are obviously not on sale anymore).

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    It's okay if people download the Roms, cause i don't think lot of people are able to afford it, even if they could they may have restrictions from parents and whatnot.

and it's not only the issue of ROMs, people download movies, games, songs and lot's of things from the net itself which all is illegal so i don't think it's a major issue.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • You try buying a game when your dad believes Pokemon is retarded and for little kids - and you don't have any money of your own.

Take this, but add that my step-dad HATES ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH THE GAME SERIES. A pity, my mom liked Colosseum too.

Fortunately for me, my real dad, who I see every two weekends, dousn't mind.

Feathing

Water Gym Master
    Years
  • I'm sorry, Wickedish, but it seems that you have forget something: not all pokemon fans are able to buy the games.
    I don't like to download the games, but I couldn't afford a Gameboy Advance and I'm putting effort to get a DS.
    In some countries its very hard to buy things like that, 'cause it all comes from Europe, Japan or US and it costs two or three times the prize for someone who actually lives in Europe, Japan or US.
    I don't feel comfortable with this, but its the only thing I can do, I love Pokemon, and I want to play it.

Besides, I don't think Nintendo is going to crush out just because some download the games... I mean, do you know that Pokemon is one of the best sellers franchises?

This is the same that occurs with movies and music. Sometimes you can't buy a cd, or you can't find a movie, so you download it. Sorry, I don't want to look rude, but I wouldn't believe you if you tell me that you have never downloaded a movie or some songs with Ares or eMule...

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • Also, just fyi to everyone, it's still illegal to download the ROMs even if you own the game.

Wait I thought it was only illegal if you didn't already own an actual copy of the game. I think I'm confused now. This may sound stupid, but this isn't like a get arrested kind of illegal (I don't think so, but I was just wondering).

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2009
    Wait I thought it was only illegal if you didn't already own an actual copy of the game. I think I'm confused now. This may sound stupid, but this isn't like a get arrested kind of illegal (I don't think so, but I was just wondering).
    No, you won't get arrested, as far as I know.

It is illegal to download roms, it isn't illegal however to make a backup on your computer.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Wait I thought it was only illegal if you didn't already own an actual copy of the game. I think I'm confused now. This may sound stupid, but this isn't like a get arrested kind of illegal (I don't think so, but I was just wondering).
    Nope, it's still illegal and if you're caught, yeah, you could be arrested and charged. As far as I know, Nintendo isn't big on trying to catch people who download their games as ROMs though.

Think of it this way: you buy a FireRed cartridge. Let's assume you lose that cartridge and won't see it again. If you download a ROM, sure you still have access to it, but if ROMs weren't available? You'd probably be buying a new copy and Nintendo loses money. :(

I think it's legal to make a backup of your save file but the game itself is a no-no.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • I only download ROMs under three conditions:
    1) I lost my GBA cartridge of it.
    2) It's discontinued. (Ex. Downloading Pokemon gold or Super Mario World for SNES)
    3) I'm saving up for a console game and I need something to tide me over. (This generally follows one of the other two rules though)

ROMs and piracy and the like are bad if Nintendo's still selling the product. Whenever the next handheld comes out, then I'll get a CycloDS or a DS Emulator to play all the DS games I was too broke to buy.

Or I just buy the game.

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    I've always bought games. I download roms and emulators of older systems, but that's because they aren't sold anymore and they won't make money off of them anyways. But any of the newers systems that are still being sold, I always buy the game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2011
    I'm definitely buying Soul Silver, and I'm getting a DS just for that.

*Checks Piggy bank*

Ah, never mind.

I wonder what the world would be like without ROM's…

Hackers would have to find something else to do other than sitting in front of their computers.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I always buy the games.
    The $30 is well worth it considering the amount of hours of fun I get from every pokemon game I've baught.

Years
  • Meh...I usually just buy the games.The money is worth it.I also take CARE of my games so i don't ruin them. When i'm not playing i put them in my game case, i don't over cheat, i don't overplay.I can only see someone downloading a rom if they can't afford the game or if they lost a discontinued game. For instance if something happend to my crystal i'd possibly download a rom. Or save my money to buy a new copy.it's really up to the player.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I am proud to say I didn't download a Platinum ROM. :D
    Yeah, I just waited (even though I'm still peeved they got rid of the Slot Machines. >_>) Anyway, I dont play ROM's often, and even when I do, I own the game (though that doesn't really make me any better. :\)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I dislike the idea of downloading ROMs, but a big part of the fandom on the internet is held together by ROM hacking. If ROM's were somehow totally deleted, and could never come back.. that would be a serious blow to the fandom, I would think.

& Someone mentioned before that playing ROMs wasn't the same as playing it on whatever handheld you own, I agree. I find it a bit dull, actually. I'd much rather play the games on my DS. Still, I understand that for some it's either ROMs, or no Pokemon.

Back