• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I mean, LNs are popular in part because they're easy to digest. Not everyone finds joy in chewing through books like War and Peace.
Yeah, I definitely think that's a part of it, and a few years ago I would've even been totally on board.

But then LNs started to get brought over and the quality of both the writing and the writers started to come to light both from a Western critical perspective and from a personal one. And I think Gi(a)rlish Number hit the nail on the head pretty perfectly when it comes to the dime a dozen LNs roaming the wild. Hell, in some cases the only think that prevents these series from falling into obscurity is that they're picked and handled by a solid animation studio or manga artist, and oftentimes the way they get to that point is because they have attractive art (same goes for their popularity prior to that point.

This isn't to say it's always the case of course or that skill doesn't matter, because it certainly has an effect most of the time. There's a reason series like Boogiepop, Baccano, and various other LNs known for being well constructed and well-written receive the following that they do.

Who knows, maybe Boruto won't have as much filler, since it's not waiting for a manga to jump ahead of it?
As someone who sat through half a year of unhindered recap (read: the beginning of Dragon Ball Super), you'd be surprised at what they're capable of.

The ironic thing's that during that time the "filler" was better than the actual arcs, but I digress.

pkmin3033

Huh...I thought "filler" was the dirtiest swear word imaginable in the anime community.

Honestly, the only bad filler I've seen is the Garlic Jr. Saga in Dragonball Z. That was horrendous. Well, unless we're counting annoying things like flashback episodes and lazy clip-show movies. Those are worse...at least filler is new content. Watching a mangled abridged version of a series in movie format is even worse.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm not inherently against compilation movies, especially when they have the original minds behind them and present the content in a way that makes it actually feel like a rewatch worth watching.

The Gurren Lagann movies were like this and I love 'em to death for it. It's honestly my preferred way to ingest the series (and their ending sequences touch my soul). But Imaishi totally knew what he was doing and what he wanted to add, how to string the whole experience together and how not to make content that was out of place. I guess "intent" and "execution" are the important things here, and I can certainly say those two ideas are usually what break comp movies more often than they make them.

pkmin3033

Roll on Netflix Sailor Moon and Code Geass.

That said, I may go and see Ghost in the Shell. Western live action adaptations can't be any worse than Eastern live action adaptations...right?

pkmin3033

I should be surprised by that, but I'm not. I think I've been completely desensitised to this stuff at this point.

I am, however, very disappointed that there isn't a corresponding Husbando site.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
saowag02.jpg

Shame about the source film but this is a pretty cute little reference.

But that source.

It's a fucking shame.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Hello strange, unfamiliar territory - I've just lost my anime virginity and watched four episodes of Kemono Friends thanks to doge

pkmin3033

Depends on how much of the fandom you interact with and whether or not watching a series that will never be complete bothers you...

Years
Everyone's reaction ITT right now (me on the left):

A8R7AiPl.png

My only precaution:

FarYn61.jpg

I can't confirm or deny the greatness or lack thereof for Kemono friends yet as I've not gotten around to watching it, but from seeing descriptions of it, it happens to fall right into that zone of anime I really enjoy nearly without question.

Enjoy the anime ride!

doge

???
Years
Hello strange, unfamiliar territory - I've just lost my anime virginity and watched four episodes of Kemono Friends thanks to doge

The best part about this is that I haven't even watched a single episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back