• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I am having tanoshii

This is actually not as weird as I thought it would be, I'm not sure if that says more about the show or me
You've peaked already. It's all downhill from there.
ezgif-2-1e00c83b10.gif

Depends on how much of the fandom you interact with and whether or not watching a series that will never be complete bothers you...
This concerns me slightly though, I started watching because doge dropped a bunch of weird clips and random Kemono references in our chat with no context and I'm like wHAT DOES THIS MEAN I have to find out

I'm like 5 episodes in now and I don't think any of my questions have been answered yet, I hope they will be at some point
The best part about this is that I haven't even watched a single episode.
When will you be having tanoshii

pkmin3033

This concerns me slightly though, I started watching because doge dropped a bunch of weird clips and random Kemono references in our chat with no context and I'm like wHAT DOES THIS MEAN I have to find out

I'm like 5 episodes in now and I don't think any of my questions have been answered yet, I hope they will be at some point
A lot of shows won't answer questions or resolve plot points...it's quite irritating. I think they're designed to get you into the source material or something, but if you watch anime for anime's sake...maaaay be better to avoid those, even if some of them are pretty good by themselves. Especially considering it takes years for some things to actually end.

Years
Well, a significant number of adaptations are still worth a watch even if they don't fully adopt the source material.

Also hello new Symphogear that I won't watch until I've had a chance to actually watch all of your previous seasons.

And unrelated, but I found this while trying to find a GIF to accompany my post in the Anime You're Currently Watching thread:

dfe.gif

pkmin3033

The first season of that was so bad...I've not had the strength to try the second yet =x

Years

I've rewatched this something like 6 times in the past two days. I can't get enough of the Love Live! Sunshine puppet show. You should watch it even if you aren't immersed into idol hell.

Symphogear is probably my favourite anime.

This looks even more ridiculous every time you post a video from the series.

I like how the new Attack on Titan opening is pretty much Guren no Yumiya v2.

Are people going to meme the hell out of this one, too?

pkmin3033

There are hardly any second OPs that are better than the first, and the longer it goes on, the worse it usually gets...generally speaking. There are always exceptions.

...I just can't think of any right now. xD

EDIT:

NO WAIT I THOUGHT OF SOME. The second OPs of Kill la Kill, Star Driver and Fate/Zero were all waaaay better than the originals. FMA Brotherhood's were all over the place, but most are better than the first. All the Gundam Build Fighters, Sengoku Basara, and Index/Railgun OPs are good too.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
It depends, I'd say. I've seen a lot of anime that have OPs that just completely outshine their originals, and a lot of times this comes from the anime just knowing exactly what it is or having better material to work with.

Like- actually, fuck, I will make that a thread.

Also, yes, agreed on all of those shows. The ones I've heard at least.

Years
When it comes to long shounen series I find they tend to go up and down a lot but yeah, the first openings are usually the most iconic. That being said of all the long running shounen series I've seen I think I only prefer the first opening with Saint Seiya.

>most were better than the first brotherhood op

7x9Zpe2.jpg

pkmin3033

Are they iconic because of their quality as songs, though? I honestly don't think that's the case, especially with long-running shows, which tend to vary dramatically in quality over time. I think they're associated more with the quality of the episodes that follow them than they are assessed as individual songs. At least for the long-running shows that have more than two or three OPs to them. "Iconic" doesn't necessarily mean "good" in any sense.

...that said, it's been a while since I watched a long-running shounen series, and I'm well and truly stuck with Naruto. Why did I even try.

Years
I think a great opening has a mix of things. A good song, interesting visuals and it has to fit in with the atmosphere of the show that follows. If I was in it for music alone I certainly wouldn't be looking at anime openings, most of them just have middle of the road pop rock nowadays. People do seem to get an extra bit of nostalgia looking back at first openings though, presumably because they associate it with finding something they enjoy watching. Maybe.

As we're talking about long runners, all of 'the big 3' did great jobs with their first openings, really nailed that atmosphere. Bleach's was stylish and colourful, Naruto's was cheesy but it actually had animation in it. We Are is just simply One Piece.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
>most were better than the first brotherhood op
The Again following is pretty spoopy.

But I don't think the quality of a song's opening is enough to just say that an OP is good or not. If we look at something like Steins;Gate's OP, Hacking to the Gate, it's song's quality is obviously debatable but the opening as a whole leaves a lot to be desired and I honestly can't see why people herald it the way they do, even as someone who likes the show. Reason being, all it is is Okabe distraught about something while girls appear and the theme is TIIIIIIIME TRAVEL, but other than that there really isn't anything to it. Which is ironic considering even the Visual Novel's op actually showed some things.

Just forward a few years and we get Re:Zero's opening...re...uh...Redo- see, I don't even remember the song's goddamn name- and it's literally just the new version of Hacking to the Gate. Or it would be, except it actually gives some idea of the struggle the main character is going through and presenting the idea that the entire show is based around. It's really not that great of an opening and I'm pretty torn on whether I like the song more than Hacking to the Gate, but as a complete package it's actually something worth representing the show.

Also Paradisus Parodoxum, the second op, was better. But I'll get into that somewhere else.

I do definitely think even an OP that is worse in all other respects can generally be worth watching if it has a good song whereas the reverse is hard to justify, but I couldn't good and well say that one OP was better than the other just because it had a good artist.

pkmin3033

I find myself drawn to interesting visuals more than I do catchy songs, usually. The OPs for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei are amongst my favourites because they're utterly messed up in terms of animation and they have that personal touch because they're performed by the cast of the show. There aren't enough orchestral OPs these days either. On the whole I disliked the series - because it stopped just as it was about to start going anywhere - but Akatsuki no Yona had a great OP. Zeta Gundam's English OP is one of my favourites for its lack of vocals, too.

Quite often there is more emphasis on the song than the animation, and the song may be either crap, totally unfit for the show, or may not really fit the animation at all. A lot of OPs I'm put off by because stuff doesn't really...mesh. It's just a song with some random visuals. It can - and should - be more than that. It's the first thing we normally see of a show and can give a good or bad first impression because of that.

...that said, anything by Kalafina gets an automatic pass from me. Because Kalafina.

tl;dr I want more messed-up, orchestral, or simple stuff, not random songs that vaguely fit the anime - maybe - and showcase the characters and not much else. Like really bad AMVs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back