• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

...but yeah, I'm 27 and I'm a huge fan of the series too. Planning on watching Glitter Force somewhen...it can't be any worse than the dub of Futari Wa they did aaages ago.

pkmin3033

HeartCatch was awful, and the effect it had on the fandom was worse still. It really annoys me that people hold it up as the best season when it's easily the worst outside of DokiDoki's second half and possibly GoPri ._.

...although the movie of it was pretty good. I liked the villain in it.

But Suite is clearly the best season.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Was it's impact on the fandom really that negative? Genuine question as I've only had limited exposure to it outside of the /a/ generals. I know it helped a lot of people get a foot through the door of the franchise, which I suppose could be a negative thing if you considered PreCure your secret club prior. I also don't particularly care which series other people say is their favourite.

As for the series itself, I guess we just enjoy our Precures on different levels haha. I think if I hated one that much I'd probably not like any of them. Yes Heartcatch is more accessible to a first time watchers than a Suite but it hardly attracted a bunch of raving 14 year old Dragon Ball fans, did it? Maybe it did.

pkmin3033

Well, it wasn't really a "secret club" prior to HeartCatch, but it wasn't quite so biased in favour of one show over all the others. People were generally nicer and more willing to talk about things. I suppose I've just had a few bad experiences with fans of HeartCatch who hail it as Precure's equivalent to Madoka (yeah, you can imagine how I view that comparison) and measure literally every season before and after by their newfound standards...forgetting that this is a show aimed at little girls that is designed mostly to sell merchandise, so why are they taking it so seriously. I'm used to being in the minority with my opinions, so I don't much care if I like the least popular show, but...yeah, maybe I've just had bad experiences with the fandom at large. Fandoms just ruin literally everything, and with something as enjoyable (to me at least) as Precure...eh. It's all the more depressing for it. It stops being funny after a while.

I didn't HATE HeartCatch - the only anime I hate are Accel World, Chaos;Head, and Madoka - I just didn't really care for it. I'm a little bitter because the only interesting one of the four (Sunshine) got absolutely no development, I guess? The art style put me off a bit as well; I realise that was a draw for a lot of people though. It was also...pretty grim, for a kid's show. Fresh was too, but only at one or two points. HeartCatch had Moonlight moping and being generally useless practically every episode. I have a lot of issues with Moonlight. The show would have been a lot better without her in it.

I watch Precure for a break from the general misery in anime, and because it reminds me of the light-hearted fluff shows I used to watch as a kid. I get more enjoyment out of the cheesy stuff than I do the "serious" elements...oh, and the transformation sequences are always fun to watch. I guess that's why I didn't like HeartCatch on an individual note? Just not my thing. Which makes me an evil heretic that needs to be burned at the stake.

But whatever. I would always encourage people to watch HeartCatch last, or not at all. Get an unbiased and fair view of the other seasons first before watching the fan favourite. Even if it turns out to be your favourite in the end, you'll have had a good time watching the others first, and that's something a lot of Precure fans don't do. They watch HeartCatch and that's it; the rest are comparative garbage and that's the end. God, it's annoying...

I've still not watched Yes Precure 5 actually...should do that somewhen.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've never seen people disregard other series because they've already seen the pinnacle. Even if I did it's just such a stupid comment to make, I'd laugh and move on. If I had the issues you have with fanbases I think I'd just have to quit every single medium that people comment on ever.

Suppose introducing the Dark Pretty Cure/Moonlight story did make the tone darker than the others. Other pretty cures have the odd episode of misery but it was more sustained in HC. Okay, I understand. Assumed you just didn't like it because it's popular.

Hating Chaos;Head is actually impressive imo, it means you must have managed to retain more than just Super Special.

pkmin3033

Well, I dunno about "quit" every medium, but...eh, I can see your point. I don't generally get involved in discussion in fandoms at all any more because I'm tired of it; it's just a bunch of people agreeing on the same opinion and slamming anyone who dares to disagree. It's like watching the same comedy repeatedly - after a while, it stops being funny. I try not to let other people's opinions on something affect my own enjoyment (or lack thereof) of it, but...well, like you said, it's a stupid comment. I just don't have very much patience for people's stupidity these days, I guess.

I don't think I've ever hated anything just because its popular...I don't think. I've been hesitant to try things because I don't think they can sustain the hype, and I've been disappointed in them for not living up to my expectations, but outright hatred on that basis alone? You probably won't believe me, but I have a little more sense than that. xD

But it's terrible! Before Madoka it was easily the worst show I'd ever seen...and even Madoka at least has a nice soundtrack. From what I've been told the VN is better, but I've not had the opportunity - or the desire - to read it. I suppose it's probably not worth hating because of how little there actually is to it, but it's definitely one of my most reviled shows to date. I just can't believe I wasted my time on it and I want that time back >.>

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I mean, you could make the leap to the Japanese dubs of Precure and see just what all gets edited out to make it into Glitter Force, aha. Is that all you watch for anime?

Nope, I'm stuck watching the usual Toonami stuff. I know I could go and torrent a bunch of ones I've never seen, but I prefer to own copies. I'm just low on funds. :/

There's just so many I haven't seen.

Also, what's the problem with Madoka? I thought that was a beautiful story... >:/

Years
  • I mean the flair is more relevant to the topic than the title (chit-chat thread), but I suppose the chit-chat thread would be the memes dumping ground, yes.

Nope, I'm stuck watching the usual Toonami stuff. I know I could go and torrent a bunch of ones I've never seen, but I prefer to own copies. I'm just low on funds. :/

I think the Japanese dubs of PreCure are available on Crunchyroll? IDK I think I've seen them there.

Okay actually I guess not, but the original PreCure is on TubiTV: http://because.moe/?q=precure

pkmin3033

The lack of Precure is one of the main reasons I refuse to pay for streaming services. Not going to cater to my tastes fully, then I'm not going to throw my money away when I'll have to stream elsewhere anyway.

...and no, Madoka was trash. There was nothing beautiful about it. And I do NOT hate it just because it was popular! I've already explained in detail somewhere why Madoka is the worst thing ever created. *twitches*

pkmin3033

Hmmm...honestly, it depends. If you grew up with Sailor Moon/Power Rangers the same way I did, and don't mind a lot of cheese, I'd say they're definitely worth watching. Although I couldn't say which one to start with...pick your favourite one based on character design and the themes, maybe. Suite's theme is music, HeartCatch's is flowers, etc. Just look at the designs of all of them and pick one.

Precure shows usually follow the same sort of patterns, so if you like one you'll probably like most of (if not all) of the rest of them. There isn't really anything else like them in terms of fluff/cute magical girls doing cute magical things, so maybe they're worth watching on that basis alone. Just ignore the shitty fandom.

Years
  • I'm pretty certain you'll enjoy the franchise, don. As Mey says it's a rigid formulaic kids' show with lots of fluffy slice of life stuff and monster battles. Od course they mix their staff up so there's variety from series to series. Some have particularly great art styles, some are better with comedy or action and there are obviously going to be ones you just prefer because of characters.

One thing I will say about the franchise is that the standard of music is pretty damn high throughout, some really well put together OSTs. Futari Wa (original series) has pieces which sound as if the could have come from an old black and white American cartoon.

Shouldn't take you long to recognise the composer for Suite and HeartCatch that's for sure. Think he did a couple more too, Fresh maybe.

Spoiler:

Years
  • hiunn8A.png

*hibiki punches through giant alchemist mecha snake*

OTSbKrm.png

Q540CKt.png

59NasCZ.png

this is literally my favourite show.

pkmin3033

I kinda want to pick up Symphogear again, because it looks like the sort of thing I should enjoy, but the first season was just so awful...

string555

Banned
    Years
  • ...and no, Madoka was trash. There was nothing beautiful about it. And I do NOT hate it just because it was popular! I've already explained in detail somewhere why Madoka is the worst thing ever created. *twitches*

Maybe you could just consider that I haven't seen THAT MUCH anime, and think: "I shouldn't hate him for it, he just doesn't know any better... >_<"

:P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back