• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jαcκςση's Sprites~

How are they?

• Total voters

mulch_ar

What should I type here?
Years
  • Hey, I've just noticed the tree. It looks great for a beginner, especially it's your first tile. But the tree looks too 2D-ish to me. Maybe you could work on the base of the tree. Look for other ppl's tree for example:

base_tree_example.png

It's kinda 2D, but it looks better if you make the base a little down like that.

Hope I'm helping, Good Luck!

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    wow, nice sprites :) Don't be harsh on your self dude and keep up the good work, you know - practice makes perfect.

BTW, may I use any of your work in my game? You decide the rules about credits and also, do you want to help making some sprites for the game?
    No, sorry, all of this is made specifically for the game I am working on. And I'd like to just focus on that game. Sorry...

Its average for me...

The Virus Sprite looks creepy... Change the pose! :)

May you show the other views of the overworld of your Character Sprite (the boy)?

The Pokemon and Tree are decent for me... Keep it up.

P.S. :)
    Again, I WILL BE REPOSING THE VIRUS EVENTUALLY EVERYONE! I haven't made other views of it, and I don't really plan on it. It's just a splice, so we won't be using it in the game I am working on. Thanks!

The Original Trainer and its overworld sprite looks awesome.
    Thanks, but it's a simple splice, so not much...

Hey, I've just noticed the tree. It looks great for a beginner, especially it's your first tile. But the tree looks too 2D-ish to me. Maybe you could work on the base of the tree. Look for other ppl's tree for example:

base_tree_example.png

It's kinda 2D, but it looks better if you make the base a little down like that.

Hope I'm helping, Good Luck!

I know what you mean, but I really don't think that will help. It may have helped yours, b/c yours is only slightly 2D, but mine is more of a backround sprite than a tile. Thanks though.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • So, my thoughts are still turned to the roach line:

Prevo: I looked at the pic and realized that the black things on it's head are indeed not eyes, and that the white things are... originally i thought the black underside was the jaw, and the eyes were teeth. I'm sorry about the confusion there. It now makes sense that the bottom of the head is thick... disregard everything i was saying about "thinning the jaw". It looks great by the way...

As for the evo: i think it looks REALLY good- except...

the shading is a bit strange still. The first problem i have with it is the diveting on his abdomin's backside. It seems like a strange place that light would shine, and is inconsistant with your light source... that seems to be your main issue, you need to get the light source at one point, b/c you have shading in places that don't correspond to eachother. Compared to the head, the abdomin's backside, the wings, and the left leg, it is hard to tell the direction of the lightsource.

Definitely work on that, keep up the great work, can't wait to see more, and most importantly...

Keep Spriting!

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    So, my thoughts are still turned to the roach line:

Prevo: I looked at the pic and realized that the black things on it's head are indeed not eyes, and that the white things are... originally i thought the black underside was the jaw, and the eyes were teeth. I'm sorry about the confusion there. It now makes sense that the bottom of the head is thick... disregard everything i was saying about "thinning the jaw". It looks great by the way...

As for the evo: i think it looks REALLY good- except...

the shading is a bit strange still. The first problem i have with it is the diveting on his abdomin's backside. It seems like a strange place that light would shine, and is inconsistant with your light source... that seems to be your main issue, you need to get the light source at one point, b/c you have shading in places that don't correspond to eachother. Compared to the head, the abdomin's backside, the wings, and the left leg, it is hard to tell the direction of the lightsource.

Definitely work on that, keep up the great work, can't wait to see more, and most importantly...

Keep Spriting!

Lol, sorry about the confusion.

And for the evo, ya, I know the shading is off. I was just trying to find places to shade it... and I didn't no how else too, so I just kinda.. shaded all along the left side. Lol. Do you have any ideas of where or how I could shade it to make it seem more natural?

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • OK, super detail time!
    jackson_roach_help.png

- This tone should be lighter, more in the middle of the light and dark tones of the claws...
    - The tone outlining the head is a bit brown... where it shouldn't be anything but grayscaled... you need to readjust it to a grayer color. The tone is dead on though...
    - This area on the back of the hand would not be catching any light. you could probably make it all the medium tone.
    - This area also would not catch the light. The wing is shaded fine down here, but under the wing, it should all be dark. The light would not be there.
    - diveting doesn't look good here. way too much... a little doesn't look bad, but on such a small confined sprite, too much diveting really detracts from the overall sprite. You need to do more layer shading on the abdomin. the antenae can use diveting, but not so much...
    - this black pixel seems misplaced...or miscolored...
    - "clumpys": unneccesary pixels here... either delete them, and if not applicable, at least recolor them... makes the outline too thick.
    - Purple box: ohoh... i think that while editing the antanae, you erased the wing... i filled it in green where there was the big empty spot...you MUST fix that... it is an error that i'm surprised that no one really caught...or that you haven't fixed...also there is a random white pixel to the right of the antenae, under the wing...erase that...

Really, just watch your shading. Keep the light source consistant. Your sprite is still great, i give it a 7/10. It would be an 8/10 if you at least had the wing there... you will get your other two points once you recolor the outline where i showed you, and fixed the shading...

This is a great sprite, it looks VERY professional, and i commend you on it! Just fix er up, and you'll be in great shape. Take my crit sparingly, don't get discouraged, and of course...

Keep Spriting!

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    OK, super detail time!
    jackson_roach_help.png

- This tone should be lighter, more in the middle of the light and dark tones of the claws...
    - The tone outlining the head is a bit brown... where it shouldn't be anything but grayscaled... you need to readjust it to a grayer color. The tone is dead on though...
    - This area on the back of the hand would not be catching any light. you could probably make it all the medium tone.
    - This area also would not catch the light. The wing is shaded fine down here, but under the wing, it should all be dark. The light would not be there.
    - diveting doesn't look good here. way too much... a little doesn't look bad, but on such a small confined sprite, too much diveting really detracts from the overall sprite. You need to do more layer shading on the abdomin. the antenae can use diveting, but not so much...
    - this black pixel seems misplaced...or miscolored...
    - "clumpys": unneccesary pixels here... either delete them, and if not applicable, at least recolor them... makes the outline too thick.
    - Purple box: ohoh... i think that while editing the antanae, you erased the wing... i filled it in green where there was the big empty spot...you MUST fix that... it is an error that i'm surprised that no one really caught...or that you haven't fixed...also there is a random white pixel to the right of the antenae, under the wing...erase that...

Really, just watch your shading. Keep the light source consistant. Your sprite is still great, i give it a 7/10. It would be an 8/10 if you at least had the wing there... you will get your other two points once you recolor the outline where i showed you, and fixed the shading...

This is a great sprite, it looks VERY professional, and i commend you on it! Just fix er up, and you'll be in great shape. Take my crit sparingly, don't get discouraged, and of course...

Keep Spriting!
    Omg, thank you so much! Now THIS is what I call in depth critique. I'll definitely work on all this stuff. Oh, and about the missing wing, I did notice it a while ago, and was surprised no one noticed it. However, I fixed it a little while ago as you can see
    3520sd4.jpg
    , I just only updated the first post, not the rest of them. I'll be back with changes later, but again, thanks so much! :D

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • That far back wing... the one that was missing, it is SO rigid on the bottom! You could probably round it or arch it or hatch it a bit so as it is not such a horizontal line...

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    I know >_<...
    I just wasn't sure if it would turn out right. I'll fix that too.

Oh, also, should there be any light on the abdomen?

Edit:
    Okay, updated most of what you said. Also edited the brown highlight color a tad.
    2aj6qvd.jpg

Edit 2:

Toned down gray highlite version..
    n2euqu.jpg

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • jackson_roach_help_2.png

- This gray tone for the outline is to light... darken it, or even use the tone that i highlighted in orange
    - this area still has to much light on it. you could probably shade that all in as the medium tone.
    - the other wings are nice and round and blade shaped... but this wing is still stiff and rigid... you should definitely curve it more near the end... and on the top as well...
    - the are darts stuck to all the clumpys. Erase those pixels...since you don't need them...they just make the outline look thick...
    - your transparency color is bleeding in... you need to fill in these spots...

The sprite is at a 7.5 out of 10. Just a few more things... and you're there!

You need to make sure that the light is all coming from the same direction, in this case, the upper left. There won't be any light spots on the right, especially in near the bottom right corner.

Keep it up, it's looking great! It's almost perfect!

Keep Spriting!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    jackson_roach_help_2.png

- This gray tone for the outline is to light... darken it, or even use the tone that i highlighted in orange
    - this area still has to much light on it. you could probably shade that all in as the medium tone.
    - the other wings are nice and round and blade shaped... but this wing is still stiff and rigid... you should definitely curve it more near the end... and on the top as well...
    - the are darts stuck to all the clumpys. Erase those pixels...since you don't need them...they just make the outline look thick...
    - your transparency color is bleeding in... you need to fill in these spots...

The sprite is at a 7.5 out of 10. Just a few more things... and you're there!

You need to make sure that the light is all coming from the same direction, in this case, the upper left. There won't be any light spots on the right, especially in near the bottom right corner.

Keep it up, it's looking great! It's almost perfect!

Keep Spriting!

2jc6gs0.jpg

I think I've done everything you said. And the back right leg is the shadow and medium color, there is no highlight color. Anyway, what do you think?

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • jackson_roach_help_3.png

- I think that the outline that is colored in orange could be changed to the tone i put in the orange box... it's just and idea...
    - as for the two pixels in the green box, maybe use them to replace the ones on the arm. The arm seems really skinny in that spot.
    - the gray area that i highlighted pink, it seem's awkward... it's really thick i'm not sure what's going on back there, it seems like the arm is blending into the wing's outline too much though...

I give it a 9/10 at this point. It is amazing, and besides the gray thick part, i'm just being nit picky.

I would worry about the gray part the most, but besides that, this is wonderful, and just about done. GREAT GREAT GREAT JOB!!!

I'm glad i could give you help and offer my advise... you added your own touch, and as a result, this sprite is wicked awesome!

Great job, and most importantly...

Keep Spriting!

You should make an animation using your original that is posted on here, then go step by step to show the progression! You could do that on iaza.com for free... if you don't want to, i could do it for you...
    (BTW congrats on 50 replies!)

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    11vnsq1.jpg

Well, I think it looks pretty good. :) Thank you SOOO much for all this extremely detailed help, it means a ton. And I like that idea, I actually did it with the original roach a while ago, but I just animated it myself. (
    55s9sg.jpg
    ) I'll try it again!

Edit: do you think you could do it? You've already done so much, lol but I'm not familar with the iapa thing, and it takes way to long on photoshop.
    Heres all the links:
    http://i39.tinypic.com/6o0ml1.jpg_________ http://i41.tinypic.com/33f9lw0.jpg____ http://i40.tinypic.com/25i6f5z.jpg _____http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpw7mc.jpg _______http://i40.tinypic.com/rc5uuo.jpg______ http://i42.tinypic.com/261d7vm.jpg______ http://i44.tinypic.com/3520sd4.jpg____ http://i42.tinypic.com/2aj6qvd.jpg______ http://i39.tinypic.com/n2euqu.jpg______ http://i44.tinypic.com/2jc6gs0.jpg and finally, http://i39.tinypic.com/11vnsq1.jpg

*wipes forhead* :P

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • This looks absolutely awesome! It's amazing to see how far it's come:
    roach_ani_fin.gif

10/10!

The shading is great, the pose, form, anatomy, angles, outlining...everything is well done!

I'm glad to have helped!

Keep Spriting!

Vannah☆

Spriter
    Years
  • I actually really like that tree you made. xD It's a lot better than I could probably ever do. Anyway, if those fakemon were official, they'd need to be facing the pokemon they were fighting, ne?

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    This looks absolutely awesome! It's amazing to see how far it's come:
    roach_ani_fin.gif

10/10!

The shading is great, the pose, form, anatomy, angles, outlining...everything is well done!

I'm glad to have helped!

Keep Spriting!

Once again, thanks so much!

I actually really like that tree you made. xD It's a lot better than I could probably ever do. Anyway, if those fakemon were official, they'd need to be facing the pokemon they were fighting, ne?

Other than the virus, aren't they? The cockroch evo just has it's back turned. And thanks!

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • it's facing the pokemon it's battling, it's just an over the shoulder look... i think? you'd definitely have to run that up with jackson...

anyhow, again, great job on the sprite jackson! i noticed one more little nit picky thing, the dark outlining on the hand should be on the bottom left, not the top right... but that's really SUPER nit picky! ^_^

Keep Spriting!

:edit:

jackson beat me to the punch... ^_^

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
  • Rep+ for GP and all his help lol ;) Also after all the edits its getting nicer and nicer. With GP helpig you youll be pro in no time (Although youre not to far from it anyway). Besides that not to much more to say. Looking forward to new sprites =]

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    anyhow, again, great job on the sprite jackson! i noticed one more little nit picky thing, the dark outlining on the hand should be on the bottom left, not the top right... but that's really SUPER nit picky! ^_^

er.. like this?
    2vcicjn.jpg

and I made a few color changes to the original roach. which is better? (old vs new)
    mlpbac.jpg
    or
    b8v5vp.jpg

and thanks scythe!

Back