• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Although they aren't amazing shows I will miss Iroha, Nichijou, S;G and Exorcist. Saying that next season looks interesting enough so we'll probably all survive.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    No, steins;gate is pretty good. Ao no Exorcist isn't bad for a generic shonen. Nichijou, like most 4koma anime, is generally reliant on you liking the characters. And i regrettably still haven't caught up on Iroha. Also been waiting for next season since a good 1.5 seasons ago.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    This weeks s;g was pretty cool although I wish i waited a little longer for one of the better subgroups.

Are any of you guys still watching Blood-C? Clamp's Saya has to be one of the most hopeless leads I've ever seen, the show seems to be picking up but damn that girl is terrible.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    The after credits stuff in S;G this week blew my mind. I... don't know what to think at this point. XD

I'm still watching BLOOD-C. Saya is frigging retarded, but I'm starting to sense some CLAMP tie-ins so it might be worth finishing. (Shop of wishes? xxxHOLiC, anyone?)

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Episode 22 of Steins;Gate was a great episode (one of my favs). A lot went on that I was happy about. As for the after credits ending... this was my reaction.
    "Andu-kun: Let's Destiny! says (10:59 PM):
    *xjgkfmnxglkj
    *WJHAT?"

And like David I don't know what to think... I've never wanted to watch the next ep of something so bad. And Angel Beats ep 8's ending (that held the title before) made me yell out "NO!!!!". So this tops that and... is Tuesday here yet?

As for Blood-C
    Episode 6 shocked me. And ep 7 got me wondering what will come next. As for Saya, cut her some slack, she wants to save everyone... even if she's only saved one person thus far. XD

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Steins;Gate went from good to REALLY REALLY GREAT over the course of its run for me. I think I'll be saddest to see it go, though I don't think I could handle the suspense for much longer anyway.

I finally settled on eight shows in the fall season, though the only one I'm truly hyped for is P4A. I guess I'm pretty jazzed about Fate/Zero, though since I watched Fate/Stay Night as an anime noob I've since realized the vast amount of Fate lore that's forever locked away to non-Japanese speakers. It makes me feel like I'll never truly be able to appreciate F/Z.

So far my top five shows of 2011:

1.) Madoka
    2.) Penguindrum
    3.) Steins;Gate
    4.) Tiger and Bunny
    5.) Hanasaku Iroha (would be Hyouge Mono if ANYONE WOULD JUST SUB IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH)

Honorable mentions to AnoHana, Denpa Onna, Level E, and Kamisama Dolls.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    S;G really has been a good ride and yeah, the last part of 22 was....:o.

My top 5 of the year (so far) would have to be;

-Star Driver (don't care if it's officially a 2010 anime, the second half was better anyway)
    -Usagi Drop
    -Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail (same as Star Driver)
    -A-Channel
    -Steins;Gate

If Penguindrum lives up to my expectations it will be my favourite of the year, No.6 is interesting, Enma-Kun and Nichijou are awesome as were Madoka and Hen Zemi. Oh, how could i forget about the best anime of all time Infinite Stratos.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I actually thought the ending of the latest S;G was only... so-so, I guess? I loved what they did with the ending credits cutting out for it but otherwise I'm just sitting here going "uhhh you guys sure you can wrap this up in a few episodes with a cliffhanger like that?"

But I loved, loved, loved the episode and it made up for all the endless-eight sort of things with Mayuri that I was really not feeling. :x

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I stalled early into Star Driver. It was so different from what I was expecting it to be that it killed my motivation to watch it for a long time, but I think I'm ready again. I'm going to try to finish up Maria+Holic Alive (man did it fall far from season one) and Deadman Wonderland tomorrow, and then I might jump in to KIRABOSHI~(<ゝω・) again.

Enma-kun would have been in my top five if the gags hadn't have been so repetitive. When you make a joke, move onto the next joke, don't loop it ten or twenty times in a row. I rarely say this about any anime, but it needed slightly less ecchi, or at the very least higher-quality stuff in that department.

And I dropped IS about ten minutes in, can't say much about its quality :p I don't like harem anime and it had already used every harem trope imaginable completely non-ironically in less than an episode, so I bailed out of that pretty quickly, hah.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    And I dropped IS about ten minutes in, can't say much about its quality :p I don't like harem anime and it had already used every harem trope imaginable completely non-ironically in less than an episode, so I bailed out of that pretty quickly, hah.
    Infinite Stratos was a waste of a perfectly good premise. In the hands of reasonably competent writers, it could have been something actually worth watching, but instead, it wound up being yet another generic harem. Oh, well.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Being a Shatfag that season hurt a bit, Denpa and Maria Holic Alive...-.- at least I was still in the metaphorical afterglow of Madoka at the time.

Star Driver.....it's one of those series that isn't very good yet still manages to be super awesome fun timez.

edit - been told by Stratos light novel readers (on the ever trustworthy /a/) that the novels were quite a lot better than the series which as you've said is generic even for a generic harem. Still, was fun.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years

Infinite Stratos was a waste of a perfectly good premise. In the hands of reasonably competent writers, it could have been something actually worth watching, but instead, it wound up being yet another generic harem. Oh, well.

After viewing a given season's preview chart I tend to go on information blackout for the series that I'm interested in. Somehow, I ended up being under the impression that it was going to have mecha elements or, at the very least, be a sci-fi show of some sort. I now know better whenever I see "light novel adaptation" or "only male in an all-female academy" in the description of anything.

Being a Shatfag that season hurt a bit, Denpa and Maria Holic Alive...-.- at least I was still in the metaphorical afterglow of Madoka at the time.

Star Driver.....it's one of those series that isn't very good yet still manages to be super awesome fun timez.

edit - been told by Stratos light novel readers (on the ever trustworthy /a/) that the novels were quite a lot better than the series which as you've said is generic even for a generic harem. Still, was fun.

No SHAFT shows this coming season either. Feels bad man. I can't believe we're not at least getting a S2 for Denpa Onna, as the BDs are selling about on par with those for any SHAFT show that's gotten a second season. If things like Natsu no Arashi and Arakawa can get second seasons greenlit, Denpa Onna should be a lock.

I think I'm totally on board for Star Driver now that I know it's just pure camp and have a better understanding of various mahou shoujo tropes. I can't exactly pick and choose my mecha these days, so I'll take it if only for the super duper Tauburn animation when they're in that....rainbow....dimension.....thing.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    IS was ok, I mean it had it's moments and I had fun watching the series. I think I gave it like an 8/10 but even then it was likely too forgiving and I might have been caught up in the moment.

Star Driver... I have like 5 eps downloaded but I keep putting it off and watching other series.

And as for my top 5 for this year (so far).

5: AnoHana
    4: Mayo Chiki!
    3: Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
    2: Penguindrum
    1: Steins;Gate

There's other shows that I want to watch such as Hanasaku Iroha, Nichijou, C: Money, and Star Driver (to some degree because I haven't started it yet XD), but so much anime and so little time.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Let's hope their lack of movement now makes for an even better season 4 of Hidamari Sketch and of course Kizu movie.....but not surprisingly I care more about Hidi.

And C, I totally forgot about that one. Could have been amazing but wasn't, like Star Driver it was a helluva lot of fun though.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Don't you think that we're long, long overdue for a fourth season of Zetsubou-sensei? Surely they have ample new manga material to work with now. I also firmly believe that a comic slice-of-life Madoka series WILL eventually happen.

C was economic Yu-Gi-Oh. I think I dropped it halfway through but it wasn't terrible, just......tried to act deeper than it actually was :p

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Even if the original novels are better than the show, I still think it's a waste of a perfectly good premise.

So, you have this revolutionary weapons system that supposedly only women can operate. I don't really understand why the United States, Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, Israel, and the EU would willingly throw away their advantage by enacting the Alaska Treaty; it smacks of the same kind of thinking that ultimately led to the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia at the hands of the Nazis in the lead-up to World War II, but that's neither here nor there. In any case, at least it's acknowledged that the balance of power between men and women has been irreversibly altered, but as far as I know, they don't even dwell on that important detail very much. You could spin all sorts of interesting stories from what's already been given, but the author apparently just wanted to write a harem with pseudo-militaristic trappings.

After viewing a given season's preview chart I tend to go on information blackout for the series that I'm interested in. Somehow, I ended up being under the impression that it was going to have mecha elements or, at the very least, be a sci-fi show of some sort. I now know better whenever I see "light novel adaptation" or "only male in an all-female academy" in the description of anything.
    Well, some lessons you have to learn the hard way, I suppose. There are some limited sci-fi elements (the IS units themselves), but for the most part it's your typical generic harem. If you want a military-themed romantic comedy, just stick to the Full Metal Panic! franchise.

Sousuke Sagara wouldn't even need an IS of his own to kick Ichika Orimura's ass. He'd kick Ichika's ass while piloting an unarmed Rk-92 Savage that's been left out in the Siberian tundra for the better part of a decade. Those ISes aren't looking so hot now, are they?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years

Sousuke Sagara wouldn't even need an IS of his own to kick Ichika Orimura's ass. He'd kick Ichika's ass while piloting an unarmed Rk-92 Savage that's been left out in the Siberian tundra for the better part of a decade. Those ISes aren't looking so hot now, are they?

I can't comment on the rest of your post because I didn't bother to look any further into IS after dropping the anime, but what you say here is for damned sure.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years

Even if the original novels are better than the show, I still think it's a waste of a perfectly good premise.

So, you have this revolutionary weapons system that supposedly only women can operate. I don't really understand why the United States, Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, Israel, and the EU would willingly throw away their advantage by enacting the Alaska Treaty; it smacks of the same kind of thinking that ultimately led to the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia at the hands of the Nazis in the lead-up to World War II, but that's neither here nor there. In any case, at least it's acknowledged that the balance of power between men and women has been irreversibly altered, but as far as I know, they don't even dwell on that important detail very much. You could spin all sorts of interesting stories from what's already been given, but the author apparently just wanted to write a harem with pseudo-militaristic trappings.

Well, some lessons you have to learn the hard way, I suppose. There are some limited sci-fi elements (the IS units themselves), but for the most part it's your typical generic harem. If you want a military-themed romantic comedy, just stick to the Full Metal Panic! franchise.

I don't think I'll ever look at IS the same way again....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back