• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    So, Gundam Age, that first episode was all sorts of good. Definitely not as bad and derivative of the kiddy mecha stuff as a lot of people assumed based on the look of the show. The episode starts out by throwing us right into the thick of things, showing Flit's mother being crushed and that basically sets the course for the rest of his life.

The animation on the show is beautiful, I've always enjoyed this style of animation, loved it on Inazuma Eleven and I like it a lot here. There seems to be softer colors going around in this and I'm a huge fan of that. A lot of the inbetween animation seems like it might pose a problem as far as quality goes in the future, but it looks like they did a great job with most of the animation in this episode, so the inbetween stuff isn't as obvious as in other shows.

Great soundtrack, no idea what people on 4chan were complaining about. The pieces all fit the mood just fine and I enjoyed hearing the battle theme played during Flit's first encounter with a UE in the Gundam. Loved the opening, the visuals are a little on the bland side, but I'm in love with that song, sadly I can't say the same for the ending theme . . . but I've never been too fond of Lantis artists.

The story's got a lot of potential! Most of the colony trivializes the threat of attack because they've never personally experienced it, even when Flit shows irrefutable proof that Nora is the next target, he's told to sit down and shut up. The military were the only ones really prepared for an attack, and I assume that lead to the death of a lot of civilians. I'm liking the apathetic viewpoint a lot of people had at the start, not because I like that mindset, but because I think it does sort of echo the mindsets of a great deal of the world's modern youth, most of them have never personally been involved with any war or violence, so it all seems world's away and removed from their life.

This show also has a nice cast of characters, Emily's definitely going to end up being the mother for the second generation, Vargas a fun character and not the happy-go-lucky in the face of danger figure I thought he would turn out to be. Other pilot whose name I can't remember was cool too, he's the intended pilot for Age and Flit had no problem with that, not wanting to jump into Age himself until it becomes clear that there's no other choice. Flit is . . . well he's like a mix of an adult and a by the books shounen type character. He's really passionate about what he does and believes, but at the same time the events in his life have allowed to have a much more adult mindset than most kids his age would have. I can imagine we might even get a few stories involving just how his dedication might be bordering on obsession . . . but that's probably a good while off, if it ever does happen.

And the UE! Now there are some interesting villains. We don't know if they're aliens or humans in suits. I'm guessing they're probably humans inside alien technology. I can't wait until we find out more about who they are and where they come from. It's obvious that they aren't just attacking blindly, they've got a leader and are coordinated, even destroying the fallen UE suit so the Nora forces won't be able to use its remains to study them. They're also powerful as heck, and I guess here is where the super robot heritage of Gundam comes into play, the Gundam is the only thing that can really stand against them. Everything else is absolutely decimated in battle and I love that the show doesn't portray this totally as the Gundam being the holy savior, but rather taking a slightly different point of view and portraying the destruction of the other mobile suits. Really going to be looking forward to how these enemies change throughout the series.

So, yeah! Gundam Age is a good show, looking forward to the rest of the year with it.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Mirai Nikki...you didn't have to put those first few seconds in the beginning ><

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    It was worth waiting for. Loved pretty much everything about the ep, a lot of people are complaining about Yuno's va but I though she did pretty well.

Best moment of the new season.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I'm glad one person happy with Gundam AGE. I can live with the animation, but it just doesn't seem as dynamic of a beginning as some of the other series. I'd definitely like to see some clarity on who the heck the UE actually is. If they are "aliens" then actually show the pilots of them, I want to know their motivation. Watching today episode left me with more questions then answers.

Maybe they are trying to go with a corruption of the bliss that Nora colony was experiencing for such a long period of time. I already knew right after Flit mentioned that they were up next that something was going down in the next couple minutes. When Flit came out of the hanger it was like for him to walk into a different world now he is on the battle field as he mentioned so I would like to see where he goes from here. And I assume you are referring to Largan.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    a lot of people are complaining about Yuno's va but I though she did pretty well.

My main problem with her is that very obvious nasal sound when she's talking, like she's trying too hard to hit too high a pitch or something. Other than that, the voice is fine, though given the choice of a different VA given the same target voice, Nakahara Mai probably would have been a better choice (minus money constraints, of course)

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I guess Mai Nakahara would be an obvious choice seeing her work in Higurashi, although I like her I'm glad she didn't end up cast though. If we're talking about established seiyuu I'd instantly think Yuko Goto or Sanae Kobayashi, yandere experience with both of them (Box Cutter Kaede and Lucy) ans well, I like them both.

And Gundam, I think I'll watch the original and the one with Ginga and Kiyama on the cast before the new one. Will probably have that done before I turn 30.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    The thing that is making me most upset about AGE is the enemy. It's so... not Gundamy. They look like Zoids. That and character designs. But I'll probably keep watching just for Emily...
    Well they don't look as Zoidish as that one thing in SEED. XD Plus, I think with everyone in the series saying "they're aliens!" it's just . . . so obvious that they're not going to be aliens. I'm sticking with the idea that it's possibly humans using mobile suits an ancient civilization. The character designs don't bother me too much because the last four shows before Age all had different animation styles. They do look kiddish, but my whole thought process is that pulling off a typical Gundam level story with those designs could be really unique.

And Gundam, I think I'll watch the original and the one with Ginga and Kiyama on the cast before the new one. Will probably have that done before I turn 30.
    You should watch the films if you can. The three compilation films really tighten up the story, improve the animation, and get rid of a lot of fluff.

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    what are they going to do about kizumonogatari and subsequent (hypothetical) haruhi episodes with hirano aya being crazy?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Aya Hirano has always been a drama queen but she's managed to hold down her ongoing jobs on Fairy Tail and Jewelpet so I expect Kizu and Nizemono will be fine. As for Haruhi, do you really think she would turn down playing a character that will keep her at the top of the saiyuu game? (even though she doesn't like Otaku and want's to be and Idol....lol not going to happen Aya.)

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Actually, I'm pretty sure they already unlisted her voicing Shinobu (might have been in a dream where I got that news, not sure)

Haruhi....might be interesting....nayuta? (completely wishful thinking there)

I guess Mai Nakahara would be an obvious choice seeing her work in Higurashi, although I like her I'm glad she didn't end up cast though. If we're talking about established seiyuu I'd instantly think Yuko Goto or Sanae Kobayashi, yandere experience with both of them (Box Cutter Kaede and Lucy) ans well, I like them both.
    I'm not really talking previous yandere roles as much as target voice pitch i'm looking at. Sanae has a lower general pitch, though I could probably see Yuuko Goto doing it. Mai Nakahara, however, probably has the closest sounding usual voice acting voice to Yuno's current voice without the nasal distortion coming through.

Last edited:

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Actually, I'm pretty sure they already unlisted her voicing Shinobu (might have been in a dream where I got that news, not sure)

actually, I think I was the one who told you that.

....nayuta?

that would cause huge tsunamis of fan vs. fan flamestorms and rage/rejoicing from all the community.

which is, incidentally, what seems to be what kyoani does best.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    The Dark Knight is out of retirement and wanting do an anime about the earthquake. I liked Tokyo Magnitude so something along the same lines might be ok. Disaster stories can be good if done well.

Also just finished the pre restart Gintama, what a fun ride that was.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Sorry for the sudden change in topic, but this right here is making me weep.

According to the tweet of animator Arai Jun (the key animator of "Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto"), the episode 2 of Persona 4 The Animation was leaked to video sharing sites with French subtitles before the TV airing in Japan. The OP sequence of the anime was also leaked yesterday prematurely. Arai Jun disclosed that the production studio AIC A.S.T.A. has been swindling the animators and his salary hasn't been paid even after the deadline. Animator Murata Toshiharu (the character designer of "Hellsing") agreed with Arai that there is something wrong with the whole AIC studios. Two anonymous animators (@zouni and @bito) also tweeted that they quit the team of Persona 4 from the episode 3 because of the bad management of AIC.

Not just what's in the first post, look at those comments. I can't describe how badly I'd love to punch some of those faces in there.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Noting new from the Japanese animation industry, we all know it's a low pay lots of effort job. A shame but anyone who chooses to work as an animator has to somewhat aware that this might happen.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Oh right. Before I forget, Guilty Crown was a pretty fun watch. Definitely looking forward to future episodes (loving the music), hopefully quality will maintain.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back