• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Questions [Now Also the Anime Recommendation] Thread

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Baccano! is a 13 episode series written in the same character-centric way as Durarara! (and by the same author. Durarara! actually has a cameo from two major characters from the cast of Baccano!
    Eden of the East is a 11+2 movies series that has a similar modern city-based setting, and a general "something behind the scenes" feeling. It's a great watch.
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 isn't a very tense series, but it's still quite good nonetheless. It follows a group of three people when a 8.0 Magnitude Earthquake hits Japan while they're visiting Odaiba(Japan's Artificial Island). They actually went and did a lot of research on the things that could happen from a high magnitude Earthquake and applied it to the series. Very Realistic.

Can't say much to Reborn!, especially as anime are concerned due to the nature of most Shonen series. You could try something like Fairy Tail, Darker than Black, or Valkyria Chronicles, but I can't guarantee anything amazing for a Shonen series like Reborn. Darker than black is probably the closest with a "Powers in the real world" while Fairy Tail is more fantasy-based and Valkyria Chronicles being old-war based.

Years
    Hi, I'm new to anime and I'm wondering if any I can have some recommendations. I'd like an anime with:
    -fantasy
    -romance
    - some action
    Keep in mind that that I'm 14 years old, so I don't want anything with too much blood and gore.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Hi, I'm new to anime and I'm wondering if any I can have some recommendations. I'd like an anime with:
    -fantasy
    -romance
    - some action
    Keep in mind that that I'm 14 years old, so I don't want anything with too much blood and gore.

It seems we have similar taste.

Ok try these;

. Clannad and Clannad: The After Story - Best series eve in my oppinion. Not a lot of action but brilliant all the same.

. Toradora! - Ok again not a lot of action or even fantasy but a very good romantic comedy with drama.

. Rosario + Vampire and Rosario + Vampire Capu2 - Ok it's not amazing although it fit's all of your categories. If you can look past the "ecchi" then this is very enjoyable.

. Kanon (2006) - Similar to the Clannad series, not a lot of action but it still shines.

. Shakugan no Shana - A couple of the villains are creepy but it fit's all of your wanted categories again.

. Zero no Tsukaima - very similar to the Shana series although there's more humour.

Hope I helped a little.

Years
    -fantasy
    -romance
    - some action
    Lapras' recommendations are all pretty good, especially Clannad and Kanon (2006), though they do lack a bit of action and all of them are somewhat male-oriented. Try Princess Tutu, Tsubasa Chronicles, Romeo X Juliet, Macross Frontier, all of which more or less fits all these criterion. I would say Valkyria Chronicles too, though I personally found it to be a rather weak title. Try it if you ever have enough free time if you'd like, however.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
    ohhai peoples.
    im bored of grinding my pokémon on emerald, and as i didn't remember any of the anime i'd wanted to watch before.. i'm in dire need of new (good!) anime.

so, to explain:
    at the moment i'm still fine, watching Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori and K-ON!!
    but after this i think i'll either go for a nice comedy-anime, or a horror/thriller one.
    for comedy, think of something like Lovely Complex or School Rumble, and for horror something like Higurashi/Umineko no Naku Koro ni or maybe Death Note.. would that be possible?
    anything come to mind?

and on that note, there's something else i've been wondering about
    the anime of Umineko no Naku Koro ni only covered some of the Question Arcs, right?
    now a new VN is coming out, Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, so i was wondering if anyone heard anything of a new anime counterpart?
    i read some rumors on a blog about a movie or OVA instead of a new TV series, but looking around for it lead me to nothing.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    It'll take another year or so probably. They technically aren't question arcs.

Chiru came out maybe a year or two ago? But ya, we're not gonna see an anime of it until it finishes, which isn't until the next Comiket (in the spring) at the very least.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
    It'll take another year or so probably. They technically aren't question arcs.

Chiru came out maybe a year or two ago? But ya, we're not gonna see an anime of it until it finishes, which isn't until the next Comiket (in the spring) at the very least.

guess that immediately proves just how up-to-date i am.
    i was under the impression the first Umineko series was the question arcs and Chiru covered the answer arcs, like in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, but i've never read the Umineko VNs myself so what do i know.

though, the first chapter in Chiru was released about a year ago as i recall, at the Summer Comiket of 2009.
    i anticipated Chiru to take 4 chapters, same as the first VN, so if they kept going at the pace as they have up to now, they'd be done by the Winter Comiket of this year, so at the end of December.

.. which is why i was wondering.
    looking back, maybe i was speculating too much XD;

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
    yeah, so EP 8 would come out in December, so if that's really the last chapter..
    ahwell, i'll quit bothering you XD;

but um, might you have any nice anime recommendations? XD;
    i'ma go with some comedy right now after all, i think ..

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Just wanted to ask if To Love Ru? I want to see if its any good before I start watching it. No spoilers please.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I am a fan of the To Love-Ru anime and manga. It's pretty funny, even if the style of humour isn't very advanced. The anime is kinda like Rosario+Vampire as the episodes are usually stand alone and the plot doesn't come together until near the end. The manga is worse than Rosario+Vampire's counterpart so i would certainly try the anime first. I think you'd like it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I am a fan of the To Love-Ru anime and manga. It's pretty funny, even if the style of humour isn't very advanced. The anime is kinda like Rosario+Vampire as the episodes are usually stand alone and the plot doesn't come together until near the end. The manga is worse than Rosario+Vampire's counterpart so i would certainly try the anime first. I think you'd like it.
    Alright, I'll give it a go! Thanks :D

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Any Comedy anime recommendations? Any anime will do as long as it's funny and NOT action packed. List a lot if you can because I've seen quite a few. Please and Thanks! =P

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Some of these will have sub genres or comedy will be a sub genre, hope that's ok.

Welcome to the NHK!
    Clannad
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    Rosario + Vampire
    Kodomo no Jikan
    Azumanga Daioh
    Zero no Tsukaima
    Lucky ☆ Star
    To LOVE-Ru
    Nagasarete Airantou
    Sora no Otoshimono
    Mitsudomoe
    Hanamaru Youchien
    B Gata H Kei
    Hayate no Gotoku!
    Gintama

Hope you at least like a couple of these.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    NOT action packed rules out Gintama, Hayate no Gotoku, Sora no Otoshimono, Zero no Tsukaima, and Rosario+Vampire

Sora no Otoshimono isn't necessarily action packed, but the second season added a nice chunk of combat with Chaos, so make sure you stay in the first season for that. By all means, Zero no Tsukaima is generally more combat oriented, Rosario+Vampire is moreso Shonen than comedy, with quite a bit of action on top of that, Gintama is great, but it's an action-comedy, same on HayaCon to the most part...sorta.

Next, don't watch Kodomo no Jikan unless you know what you're getting into. That really shouldn't be recommended period unless it falls nearly exactly into someone's preferences ^^;; It's mostly drama anyways.

Clannad is quite funny, but by all means, you're not gonna know what hit you (for non-comedic reasons), so make sure you have a box of tissues handy for that watch.

Throwing onto that:
    Ichigo Marshmallow (Strawberry Marshmallow)
    Seitokai no Ichizon [only if you have a nice chunk of anime (meme) knowledge, this one's heavily parodic]
    Pani Poni Dash [same here, but to a less and greater extent in a way]
    Natsu no Arashi
    Kyouran Kazoku Nikki [Can get actiony at times though]
    Hidamari Sketch
    would say Seto no Hanayome but that has quite some action too
    Also, consider Tentai Senshi Sunred if you like to see a series making fun of Power Rangers/Super Sentai. Really slapstick

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Oh DK is correct about the action although most of those mentioned the action really isn't all out action so i say it still counts. Gintama probably will be (only 8 episodes in myself) but the rest the action is thinly spread compared to other elements. Even in Hayate the combat butler! :L

I don't agree about Kodomo no Jikan at all, i think that would be a good one to watch with your nan.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    lol I've seen quite a few of these!

Welcome to the NHK! seen it
    Clannad never finnished it because someone spoiled it
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    Rosario + Vampire LOL this one is what made me love the comedy/romance genre!
    Kodomo no Jikan
    Azumanga Daioh I'm watching this one now
    Zero no Tsukaima
    Lucky ☆ Star who hasn't seen Lucky Star?
    To LOVE-Ru I watched this one recently
    Nagasarete Airantou
    Sora no Otoshimono LOL THIS IS MY FAVORITE ANIME EVER!!! In fact i made a fan group for it (link is my sig)
    Mitsudomoe never heard of this one ether
    Hanamaru Youchien
    B Gata H Kei liked this one
    Hayate no Gotoku!
    Gintama

I'll look into all the others that i didn't mark. Thanks for the recomendations

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I don't agree about Kodomo no Jikan at all, i think that would be a good one to watch with your nan.

By all means, Kodomo no Jikan is good, but the problem is that you need to know that you're getting into a loli anime with relatively mature themes, especially on the loli side.

Also, for Gintama, skip the Benizakura arc (ep 66ish?) if you don't want serious action. Great arc though.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    loli thing don't bother me any hell sometimes it's stuff like that, that makes the anime funny
    and did you say ep 66?!?!? I am defiantly not watching Gintama. way too many episodes

Back