• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Questions [Now Also the Anime Recommendation] Thread

Years
    loli thing don't bother me any hell sometimes it's stuff like that, that makes the anime funny
    and did you say ep 66?!?!? I am defiantly not watching Gintama. way too many episodes
    There's not a real overarching plot to Gintama like there would be for shows like One Piece, so it wouldn't matter if you watch all the episodes or not. An occasional story arc that lasts for about 2-4 episodes will pop up every now and then, but overall, it's a show that you can watch any time and stop any time.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Ok, now this thread is moving a little i shall ask for a recc or two.

After seeing some of the other endings of School Days (nice saw is better than nice boat) it got me thinking....i haven't been disturbed watching anime for ages. What are some nice and disturbing anime/manga?

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Hmmm....What kind of disturbing do you want? Something around Higurashi/Elfen Lied, or closer to "lol wtf am I watching?"
    Serial Experiments Lain gets on regardless

speaking of which, add Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi [Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai] to that comedy list. That one was awesome XD

Years
    I'd also like a few anime recommendations. In the last couple of years I haven't had much time to weed through newer anime (or watch them at all really) to find the ones that suit my tastes and I'm hoping someone can point out a few good ones for me to try.

I'm fairly open to most things, but I don't often care for moe/loli/harem/etc., excessive blood/violence, or anything overly long. If it helps, among recent (ish) things I saw and liked were Macross Frontier, Dennou Coil, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Among recent (ish) things I saw and didn't like were Occult Academy, Sora No Oto, and Darker Than Black.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Been looking for an anime to watch. If I can't find anything I'll just watch Fullmetal Alchemist again.

I love anything with a sense of humour.

I've seen...
    - Bleach
    - Fullmetal Alchemist
    - Death Note
    - Lucky Star
    - BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
    - School Rumble

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Scarf - Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku would probably be a hit with you, as would Makoto Shinkai's works (5 Centimetres Per Second, The Place We Promised In Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star)

Purple Materia - Clannad and Clannad: After Story both offer a lot. Welcome to the NHK! starts off amazingly funny and then gets quite serious, the Zetsubou Sensei series is good (it's more reference heavy than Lucky Star so if you've not seen a lot perhaps wait a while). Although the humour isn't obvious Bakemonogatari was amusing, it's rare that a series can be funny without obviously forcing it if you know what i mean. Other than those there are loads of action/battle shows that you might enjoy, Black Lagoon, Shakugan no Shana, Naruto, Gantz ect.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Been looking for an anime to watch. If I can't find anything I'll just watch Fullmetal Alchemist again.

I've seen...
    - Bleach
    - Fullmetal Alchemist
    - Death Note
    - Lucky Star
    - School Rumble

Also go for some Gintama as well, seeing the large amount of Shonen in that set.
    As some more:
    Kannagi - A bit less on the Shonen side, but it's generally pretty comedic.
    Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi [Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai] - Has some great scenes, and references too. There's even an episode dedicated to hollywood :o
    Baccano - Has a bit of plot, but two of the characters generally make this show a lot more funny.
    Hanamaru Kindergarten - Quite cute, since it focuses on a kindergarten, and has quite a few comedic moments as a result.
    Hidamari Sketch - Quite a bit softer comedy than most, but quite enjoyable regardless
    Kanon 2006 - Can get quite dramatic, so that's a warning, but it is quite funny when it is.
    Kyouran Kazoku Nikki - Quite chaotic, and hilarious.
    Minami-ke - Much like Hidamari, but a little less soft. Note that the animation changes between season 1, and 2-3, due to a change in animation studio
    Strawberry Marshmallow - Horribly cute, horribly funny. Much like Hanamaru, except much more comedic.

Scarf, you seem to be looking for a generally soft series that isn't moe. I'll throw some down and see if you like/have seen them. Not all of them I've seen, but I've generally heard good things about them regardless.
    Moyashimon
    Mushishi
    Baccano
    Durarara
    Hitohira
    Princess Tutu
    Umi Monogatari
    Eve no Jikan

Last edited:
    Years
    Scarf - Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku would probably be a hit with you, as would Makoto Shinkai's works (5 Centimetres Per Second, The Place We Promised In Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star)
    I looked these up and saw that Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku is Now and Then, Here and There which I saw part of, but it was too, let's say, harsh for me to enjoy it. The others I'll look into.

Scarf, you seem to be looking for a generally soft series that isn't moe. I'll throw some down and see if you like/have seen them. Not all of them I've seen, but I've generally heard good things about them regardless.
    Moyashimon
    Mushishi
    Baccano
    Durarara
    Hitohira
    Princess Tutu
    Umi Monogatari
    Eve no Jikan
    I've seen a single episode of Moyashimon, and I saw the live action movie version of Mushishi (which wasn't very good so I'd hope the anime is better), but the rest are all unknown to me except what I've seen from covers and such. I see that a lot of them look like shonen series and I usually stay away from those until I hear which are worth getting into. So I'll try a few of these.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Ok, i think i'll make a request for suggestions.

I'd like some good music driven anime please, genre doesn't matter one bit. Cheers in advance. :)

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I'd like some good music driven anime please, genre doesn't matter one bit. Cheers in advance. :)
    BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Black Heaven, Detroit Metal City, Full Moon wo Sagashite, and Interstella 555 are the first to come to mind.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I looked these up and saw that Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku is Now and Then, Here and There which I saw part of, but it was too, let's say, harsh for me to enjoy it. The others I'll look into.

I've seen a single episode of Moyashimon, and I saw the live action movie version of Mushishi (which wasn't very good so I'd hope the anime is better), but the rest are all unknown to me except what I've seen from covers and such. I see that a lot of them look like shonen series and I usually stay away from those until I hear which are worth getting into. So I'll try a few of these.

The bottom four should be more into your liking then.

Ok, i think i'll make a request for suggestions.

Add most of the Macross Series to that if you're into mecha

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years

I've seen...
    - Bleach
    - Fullmetal Alchemist
    - Death Note
    - Lucky Star
    - School Rumble

Hmm, animes with a sense of humour. I've got a few.
    - One Piece
    - Toradora
    - Clannad
    - Sengoku Basara
    - Beelzebub
    - K-On!
    - Angel Beats!
    - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    - Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai
    - Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
    - Kaichou wa Maid-sama
    - Kampfer
    - Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
    - Pani Poni Dash
    - Ranma 1/2
    - Yu Yu Hakusho
    - Rurouni Kenshin
    - Shakugan no Shana
    - xxxHolic
    - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    - FLCL

If you want anymore, just ask. ;3

Years
    I didn't know where to ask this except here.
    I recently discovered the hundreds of animes on Netflix, and since I'm starting to get back into anime, I need some suggestions as to what to watch. Let me tell you what I've watched and liked; Eureka Seven (not on Netflix), Eden of the East (on Netflix), Samurai Champloo (not on Netflix), Noein (on Netflix). I'm looking for something with drama, but that doesn't mean it has to be Sci-fi related too. Also, something comedy-related would be okay, as long as it isn't that typical dry anime humor that I find a lot. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you for reading.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    People who like Samurai Champloo end to like Cowboy Bebop, it has well done comedy and drama. The English dub was also superb.

I'd also Suggest Clannad and it's 2nd season Clannad After Story.

Welcome To The NHK! and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann may also interest you.

Years
    People who like Samurai Champloo end to like Cowboy Bebop, it has well done comedy and drama. The English dub was also superb.

I'd also Suggest Clannad and it's 2nd season Clannad After Story.

Welcome To The NHK! and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann may also interest you.
    I've had a lot of people to suggest Gurren Lagann and Cowboy Bebop for me, so watch those two first and get back to you.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I've never posted in this section, but I have a question.

I wouldn't mind trying to get into a new anime, but I don't know lots about anime, or many of them. What's a good anime to watch? I would like something which isn't really too far into the story (~70 episodes), and has some sense of comedy to it.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    Hmm, let's see.
    You might like Gurren Lagann. It's only about 25 episodes, and has it's fair share of comedy. You seem to like One Piece, so you'd definitely like GL.
    Hope you like it. xD;

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
    Years
    I'm not that much into anime, mostly because they don't show a lot of anime on TV here. On CN, they have some but I don't like them, and we don't have Animax at the place I live.

Recommend me some anime, I'm gonna watch it online, so it doesn't matter if a lot of episodes have been aired.
    I remember liking, .hack//sign, Zatch Bell, Midori Days. I think I want to see something that has a lot of comedy.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    I'm pretty fond of Zatch Bell as well. xD;
    Alot of comedy, huh?
    Well, you might like Shaman King. It's fairly similar to Zatch Bell, and it's a pretty good series as well.
    Oh, and since the english dub of Zatch Bell got cut short, you'd be able to last the last 50 episodes of that as well. In Japanese, it was known as "Konjiki no Gash Bell", so if you haven't seen those yet, then go for it. :)
    Ah right. If you're a fan of Comedy, and Adventure. One Piece is definitely a series you should also try out.
    See how those two go, and tell me what you think. (well, only if you want. xD;)

Back