• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jae's Tryhard Degenerate Corner - Part I (Kanto Dex Complete)

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
  • As I've completed the Kanto PokéDex (including all regional exclusives, but excluding unreleased legendaries), I will no longer update this thread as of Dec. 12, 2016. However, I'll be relocating to a new journal thread that christens the start of Generation II Pokémon, right here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9518839

Original thread:

Editing this post since it was moved to the Field Journals section.

Anyway, as a brief intro/recap of my progress: I'm from New York. I live in the suburbs, but I work full-time in the city. I've always been an outdoors type of person even before Pokémon GO so this little mobile game just gave me even more of a reason to walk everywhere.

Gotta catch 'em all, right? I've collected 145 Pokémon currently available in North America, Australia, and Europe. Going forward I will be dedicating more attention to building up strong Pokémon for attacking and defending gyms. Should the opportunities arise and I can travel overseas, you'll bet I'll attempt to hunt down the other regionals.

Overall Progress:

QU3jMga.jpg
    yH43kQs.jpg

3DRR8X6.jpg

PokéDex Progress:

Regionals (North America + Australia + Europe): 100% (145/145)
    Overall: 96% (145 / 151)

Pre-Ditto North America Completion Date: August 16, 2016
    Australian Completion Date: August 22, 2016
    European Completion Date: October 3, 2016

QHndoeu.png

Instinct account: Dex progress 125/151
    Valor account: Dex progress 134/151

Recent Highlights:

8xD1evj.png
    rxZLX37.png
    85GpHRp.png
    gXIVgd1.png
    jWkI1hp.png
    mJQG28t.png
    E8ggUkJ.png
    pOzrwNJ.png
    pqUn0Ex.png
    EaNShu1.png

WZySihm.png
    8RwSUvj.png
    iiYsmMd.png

XcmeMO4.png
    yaSSyUM.png
    bOgV9dx.png
    HpzHjBz.png
    aLxoghx.png
    HinuwZT.png
    07hTsgp.png
    2S75n8w.png

Tons of highlights from the past two weeks! Due to the fact that I'm off for work the week of Thanksgiving, combined with the Thanksgiving event, I decided to go into degenerate mode again, something I haven't done since the summer.

For captures, of course the new addition of Ditto is the main highlight. At first I thought it would take longer to obtain, but I managed to encounter one not long after the Thanksgiving event started. This particular Ditto (IVs: 57.8% - 15/0/11), doesn't have a whole lot to show, but I doubt I'd be utilizing one competitively anytime soon.

For other new captures/hatches, I significantly bolstered my Fire-type choices. It's funny how Pokémon seem to come in bunches sometimes. Prior to November, I really didn't have many choices for competitive Fire-type Pokémon. But in the past two weeks alone, I managed to obtain three 90%+ IV Charmander (two of which I've evolved all the way to Charizard). The first Charizard ("Deep Fried" IVs: 97.8% - 14/15/15) is nearly perfect, with one of the best offensive movesets. The second Charizard ("Steak" IVs: 91.1% - 15/11/15) is sort of redundant and essentially replaced one of my older Charizard that I had for Dex purposes.

Other than Charizard, I also obtained my first two competitive Arcanine. The first Arcanine ("Bork" IVs: 86.7% - 13/11/15) quickly replaced my old one, which already had the best offensive moveset, but had inferior IVs. But soon after I powered Bork up, I obtained an even better Arcanine ("Doggo" IVs: 95.6% - 15/15/13), which had the same moveset, but better IVs. Even though I really can't complain about having two optimal Arcanine, the recent nerf to them made me favor Charizard a little more... and also Flareon. I decided to evolve one of my higher IVs Eevee in my collection, which turned into said Flareon ("Napalm" IVs: 91.1% - 15/11/15). With a superior base Attack stat, I'll be more inclined to use Flareon to quickly DPS down any Grass/Bug defenders I see.

Aside from the Fire-types, I've obtained yet another Venusaur ("Salad" IVs: 93.3% - 15/13/14) that has the same exact moveset as my perfect one, which really just puts this one into the "I-dunno-what-to-do-with box." Then there's my newest Clefable ("DEATHABLE" IVs: 95.6% - 15/14/14) with the optimal offensive moveset. I'm still not quite sure what I want to do with it yet, but it's certainly a treat to have. Then there's Rhydon ("O.G." IVs: 91.1% - 14/13/14), which I've actually had for a while, but never saw a true purpose for. With the recent buff, I may consider using it in tandem with my main offensive Golem. And lastly for this group, is the first Aerodactyl ("80 eggs late" IVs: 77.8% - 11/11/13) I've ever hatched from an egg. After over 80 10km eggs hatched, here's the one.

For the next group of highlights are 100% IV Pokémon. The Pinsir here is in fact the oldest Pokémon I have remaining in my collection, caught all the way on July 11, 2016. Coincidentally with the optimal moveset and the recent buff, there just might be a use for it now. Next there's a perfect IV Victreebel with the worst possible moveset. This would've stung more had it not been for the recent massive nerf to Victreebel's stats. And finally, there's a perfect Magneton. No idea what to do with it.

Moving past the newly obtained Pokémon, the rest of the highlights go into powerups, and some influenced by the recent CP changes. Most of my main team remains intact, with my dream of commanding a Dragonite army still on its way. The newest Dragonite ("Sleeper" IVs: 88.9% - 15/10/15) that I've powered up past CP3000 is going to be one of my main defenders, as its the only one I currently have with Dragon Claw.

My legacy Gyarados ("Not a Dragon" IVs: 80.0% - 15/11/10), with its special moveset, has now been promoted to defender status with the recent CP change. And speaking of which, the change inflated my offensive Golem ("Lump" IVs: 84.4% - 14/14/10) to absurd levels.

I also replaced my Hydro Pump Vaporeon with my old Aqua Tail Vaporeon ("O hey" IVs: 86.7% - 13/11/15), which has superior IVs. I'm not sure why I didn't make this switch earlier. Others that have received a fair amount of powering up include my offensive Lapras and perfect IVs Venusaur.

Current Gym Team:

Offense:
    XcmeMO4.png
    HinuwZT.png
    07hTsgp.png
    mJQG28t.png
    rxZLX37.png
    2S75n8w.png
    gXIVgd1.png
    jWkI1hp.png

Defense:
    yaSSyUM.png
    bOgV9dx.png
    HpzHjBz.png
    59Reddj.png
    uKQqj5w.png

Utility:
    aLxoghx.png
    vyGgOhT.png
    BGNOr0n.png
    5CsJhaz.png
    BNKVGN1.png

Notes:

Offensive Dragonite ("Baby God"): 91.1% IVs (15/14/12)
    Offensive Golem ("Lump"): 84.4% IVs (14/14/10)
    Offensive Lapras ("Blizzaga"): 84.4% IVs (15/13/10)
    Offensive Flareon ("Napalm"): 91.1% IVs (15/11/15)
    Offensive Charizard ("Deep Fried"): 97.8% IVs (14/15/15)
    Offensive Venusaur ("Perfectsaur"): 100% IVs (15/15/15)
    Offensive Arcanine ("Bork"): 86.7% IVs (13/11/15)
    Offensive Arcanine ("Doggo"): 95.6% IVs (15/15/13)

Defensive Dragonite ("Flying Cow"): 91.1% IVs (15/11/15)
    Defensive Dragonite ("Sleeper"): 88.9% IVs (15/10/15)
    Defensive Gyarados ("Not a Dragon"): 80.0% IVs (15/11/10)
    Defensive Snorlax ("Chunky"): 82.2% IVs (11/11/15)
    Defensive Lapras ("Nessie"): 80.0% IVs (13/12/11)

Utility Vaporeon ("O hey"): 86.7% IVs (13/11/15)
    Utility Exeggutor ("Exeggutioner"): 95.6% IVs (15/15/13)
    Utility Nidoking ("KING ME"): 95.6% IVs (14/14/15)
    Utility Wigglytuff ("OMEGA WEAPON"): 84.4% IVs (13/12/13)
    Utility Dewgong ("Lamantine"): 86.7% IVs (13/11/15)

Next Goals
    Travel to get regional exclusives? ¯\(°_o)/¯
    Capture Kangaskhan (Australia)
    - Capture Farfetch'd (Asia)
    Capture Mr. Mime (Europe)

Previous Weeks' Dex Goals:
    Spoiler:

Personal Tryhard Single-Day Records:
    - Experience gained: 490,000 —November 23, 2016
    - Pokémon caught: 418 —November 22, 2016
    - Pokémon evolved: 67 —November 23, 2016
    - Eggs hatched: 28 —August 3, 2016
    - PokéStops visited: 412 —August 15, 2016
    - Gyms claimed: 5 —July 14, 2016 / November 21, 2016

Is anyone else in tryhard mode?

Last edited:

MirraJade

Kimono Girl
    Years
  • Wow that's awesome I'm currently sick but as soon as i'm better I want to walk around my town to see what I can accomplish shame about that Jynx and Executor getting away I had the happen with a Charmander

VisualJae

Years
  • Speaking of Jynx, nabbed one during my commute to work today.

That's one item off the checklist and one more entry for the PokéDex.

rYh3W5u.jpg

Jiggling Jigglypuff

I'll Sing Ya To Sleep
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I had a pretty slow day yesterday, but that is some amazing work and I bet it kept you super busy.

VisualJae

Years
  • Did you figure out any algorithm for any other rare Pokemon? Asking because you seem to have caught quite a few!
    I don't see any trends or patterns with them other than the whole "water Pokémon appear more frequently near water."

Pokémon that are "native" to a certain area, such as several blocks or a major road in a city/town will always be found during certain periods of the day. I have a feeling some Pokémon are split into morning/afternoon/night cycles, with Ghost/Fairy types appearing more often early in the day and after dusk. The majority of the Gastly, Jigglypuff and Clefairy encounters I've had are all before 10 a.m. or after 6 p.m. I've already caught a Clefairy and Gastly today and both are before 10 a.m. In the afternoon, their numbers are sparse, if they appear at all.

Yesterday in one of the parks I visited, it was Nidoran♂ galore. I believe I caught six in that park alone and probably would've stayed there have I not had to catch a train. Some other locations are homes to other types of Pokémon. I know there's a park in NYC where people have spotted wild Gyarados, perfect for those who don't want to bother catching 100 Magikarps. I may visit at some point just to see if that holds true. So if there's something in particular you're looking for, try asking people in your area if they've seen them. It's literally like going online to look for Pokémon locations in your core series game (e.g. Route 5 in Red/Blue). Instead for Pokémon GO it's getting more info on which street/road you need to stick to in order to find X Pokémon (e.g. intersection between Blah Ave. and Bleh St. in Meh City).

Lures and incense encounters are exceptions. It seems like almost anything can appear from using those items.

EDIT: Aaaaand, speak of the devil, a random Magmar showed up at a PokéSpot with a lure.
    Spoiler:

Other than the above... eggs. Get those eggs. Contrary to popular belief, the egg distance doesn't necessarily mean common/rare Pokémon, though it could be interpreted as such. It's more for how common those types of eggs are. The vast majority of Pokémon fall under the 5 km eggs.

2 km eggs can contain:
    Spoiler:

5 km eggs can contain:
    Spoiler:

10 km eggs can contain:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay! I wasn't expecting such an elaborate reply but thanks! xD

I've heard that water Pokemon tend to appear more during and after rains as well? Anyone verified that?

I haven't had much luck with any rares, though I did manage a Charmeleon this morning. The four eggs I hatched all contained Weedles and Zubats. Never have been this disappointed. :'(

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Wow! Thats crazy! I think the most I caught in a day was around 60-70 and the most eggs I've hatched is 3 or 4.

I would totally be tryhard mode if I had more confidence in my phone not freezing when I catch a Pokemon or sometimes even while I'm just walking around and then taking another 5-10 minutes to get it back up. Hopefully this all gets figured out so I can catch 'em all!

Also, any tips on finding fire types like Vulpix and Charmander when in the middle of a city?

VisualJae

Years
  • Also, any tips on finding fire types like Vulpix and Charmander when in the middle of a city?

Hotspots exist. I know in Time Square it's a hotspot for some fire types like Vulpix and Growlithe.

Speaking of Vulpix...
    Spoiler:

Also... Dex is now 96 out of 151 complete.

VisualJae

Years
  • 7/16/16: I went bonkers again. Mostly evolution progress today.

PokéDex status now at 101 / 151 competion (66.8%).

Altered the original post for images and whatnot and also to chronicle all general progress and goals.

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
  • 7/17/16: Servers were down for an extended period of time, so progress was limited today. Still managed to gain approximately 31,000 experience today to push past level 23.

Evolved one of my Eevees and Clefairy:
    Spoiler:

Most of the progress involved picking up a lot of candy for Pok?mon I already have. Now sitting on 123 Magikarp candies (this is taking forever)...

Need:
    - 12 more Bellsprout candies for Victreebel
    - 5 more Meowth candies for Persian
    - 5 more Diglett candies for Dugtrio
    - 5 more Slowpoke candies for Slowbro
    - 3 more Jigglypuff candies for Wigglytuff
    - 3 more Sandshrew candies for Sandslash
    - 3 more Charmander candies for Charmeleon

Highlights:
    - Walked 4.8 km
    - Hatched 5 eggs
    - Caught 90 Pok?mon
    - Visited 72 Pok?Stops

VisualJae

Years
  • 7/18/16: EDIT: Thanks to a completely random Snorlax showing up a block from my house, make that one more highlight for the day.
    Spoiler:

I didn't complete all my self-assigned goals for the previous week, though I accomplished a bunch of other things that I never expected.

Biggest surprises were evolving some Pokémon I didn't expect to evolve so soon, including Ponyta and Growlithe, which are now Rapidash and Arcanine, respectively. I also added a new Flareon that's near capped for CP for now.
    Spoiler:

Have to thank the few eggs I hatched that sped up the candy acquisition.

Other highlights:
    - Gained 64,500 EXP
    - Walked at least 5 km on foot, though profile tracked 14.1 since I sat in a slow moving vehicle for a long time after work
    - Hatched 23 eggs
    - Caught 112 Pokémon
    - Visited 203 PokéStops
    - Took over 3 Gyms (unfortunately cashed in for only one because I didn't want to get greedy)

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
  • 7/19/16: Accomplished some of my goals for the week, including evolving one of my Charmanders into Charmeleon, my Weepinbell into a Victreebel, my Sandshrew into a Sandslash, as well as obtaining a Golduck (original goal was to evolve my existing Psyduck, but I encountered a wild Golduck for the Dex progress).

A surprise was an utterly craptastic Venusaur that showed up at a lure near my office:
    Spoiler:

It goes without saying that eventually I'll evolve my much higher CP Ivysaur into a stronger Venusaur.

Highlights:
    - Gained 58,500 EXP
    - Not sure how much I walked, but the profile tracked 14.2 km, which is again likely because I was in a moving vehicle for much of the time
    - Hatched 15 eggs
    - Caught 104 Pokémon
    - Visited 192 PokéStops
    - Discovered a location that contains quite a few Charmanders

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    7/20/16: Ah, servers down for seven hours and counting.

Smells like a no progress, take a break day.
    Know the feeling, been a pretty boring day without small innocent virtual animals to find and capture. Just noticed your dex status in the thread title however; blimey you're doing well. How'd you get just so crazily far ahead of all of us?

VisualJae

Years
  • Know the feeling, been a pretty boring day without small innocent virtual animals to find and capture. Just noticed your dex status in the thread title however; blimey you're doing well. How'd you get just so crazily far ahead of all of us?
    I play a lot outside my work hours, but I think the key is that I travel around all the time. If I stick to my home neighborhood, I'd make minimal progress.

Basically taking the original theme's line, "I will travel across the land, searching far and wide" and applying it.

VisualJae

Years
  • 7/21/16: Oh boy, not a lot of new Dex entries, but certainly picked up a hefty amount of experience while hatching a bunch of eggs and catching duplicate Pokémon for future evolutions. Three total entries today.

Spoiler:

Need:
    - 6 more Bulbasaur captures for Venusaur
    - 7 more Oddish captures for Vileplume
    - 2 more Diglett captures for Dugtrio
    - 2 more Machop captures for Machoke
    - 3 more Shellder captures for Cloyster
    - 4 more Koffing captures for Weezing

Highlights:
    - Gained 70,400 EXP
    - Hatched 20 eggs
    - Caught 171 Pokémon
    - Visited 189 PokéStops
    - Reaped the rewards of three gyms

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Hot dang that's a heck of a Slowbro. Did you find him wild or evolve him up?

Back