• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kanto in Sun/Moon?

Nath74K

Pokéfan
Years
  • I've seen many threads on the internet saying that the S.S. Anne would be on Sun and Moon.
    Do you think it could lead us visiting Kanto sometime in the game? Would you like it to happen?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    No.

I would much rather visit Johto, Sinnoh, Unova, or even Kalos. What would Kanto even offer? We're getting all these Alola forms of Kanto Pokémon, and we can probably transfer regular versions of said Pokémon from the gen 1 VC games. So going to Kanto for the sole purpose of getting regular versions of Alola form Pokémon is pointless. And, in my opinion, Kanto is a very boring region; the routes are almost completely straight shots from point A to point B, and there are no fun facilities to do anything in your spare time. So visiting just for the sake of visiting isn't something I'd personally want to do, either.

Not to mention that, as time passes, the less and less likely it seems we'll get the option of being able to go to any other region at all, as much as I'd like to be able to do it.

If we're being perfectly honest here, the only time I want to visit Kanto again is in a remake of HGSS, so at least we get Johto along with it.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • No, definitely not. We have quite enough Gen 1 pandering as it is, and Gen 2 already took us there anyway. I'd much rather we go to Kalos or even Johto, since this does seem to be Johto's spiritual succesor.

Frankly I'm sick of Gen 1 being shoved down our throats, so if they try to send us back to Kanto, I will not be happy.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • I think that there will only be Alola in S&M. Since the news came out that there will be a Pokemon game for the NX within 6 months of the new console's launch developed by Gamefreak, I'm holding onto the thin hope that if any previous regions return, Orre will return.

But seriously, I'm becoming anti-gen 1. I'm so tired of its oversaturation between Pokemon GO, Alolan forms, the explicit pandering in XY, RBY on the VC, Detective Pikachu, and the general attitude that only gen 1 and the newest gen matter. Fuck Kanto, the world of Pokemon is more beautiful and vast than the first region intentionally designed to be generic and devoid of character.

The Den

Dark Mystery
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    Yeah, too much kanto. They've already made the region so lackluster in the 2nd and 4th generations, what would change this time? I would really like to visit johto, or even Sinnoh. I feel like that would be a cool experience.

Years
  • I'm with Karous for this, since I also believe Alola will be the only region we'll be traveling through and as far as we all know, the only time we traveled to another region was Kanto in the postgame for the games that were set in Johto. It made sense since Johto and Kanto were connected together, but all the other regions are completely isolated compared to them.

Also, like Karous said I seem to not be enjoying all the huge pandering towards 1st Gen at the moment. I can understand it from a marketing standpoint but I don't want so much of Kanto being shoved down my throat because I feel other generations don't deserve to be treated like crap.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • Yeah, I'm getting really sick of Kanto too, and it's funny because we haven't actually even been to the region in 7 years. I love Kanto, but there's been so much pandering going on to it lately it's not even funny. I'd love to revisit any other region though (except Hoenn at the moment considering we just had it again), but revisiting Kanto should stay as Gold and Silver's thing. I want to see more pandering to the other regions (as well as giving Alola it's own feel).

Years
  • I would rather travel to Kalos again, because I feel like there is more to it than what was in XY. Also, the Zygarde forms and Z-moves makes me think that Alola has a connection to Kalos lol.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I would rather travel to Kalos again, because I feel like there is more to it than what was in XY. Also, the Zygarde forms and Z-moves makes me think that Alola has a connection to Kalos lol.
    Likewise.

You know, I used to dislike Kanto a lot, but not so much anymore. However, I don't want to visit it again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2016
    No we are not going to kanto. I believe they mention the only way to get the regular forms of the alolan pokemon were by transferring that would mean no kanto because then the regulat forms would be catchable in-game.

Years
  • Seeing it's the 20th Anniversary of Pokémon, it'd definitely be nice if Kanto were to make a special comeback. However, I really don't see it happening especially with the amount of time between now and the release. There probably would have been some announcement on this awhile back if Kanto were to be in the game, but I guess you just never know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Years
  • Seeing it's the 20th Anniversary of Pokémon, it'd definitely be nice if Kanto were to make a special comeback. However, I really don't see it happening especially with the amount of time between now and the release. There probably would have been some announcement on this awhile back if Kanto were to be in the game, but I guess you just never know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You do have a point because if Game Freak wanted Kanto to be in Sun & Moon they should have done it when the game was still in development, but given the VC releases of the original Kanto games I feel that probably covers the revisit to Kanto to tie in with the 20th anniversary.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Given that it doesn't seem that Gyms will play any role in the Alola region, going to another region would be a little weird, as - assuming you could even battle them - our only Gym Challenge would take place in post-game. Either that or they have some really contrived reason why they're all closed. I'd rather have all the focus go towards making Alola a fantastic and unique region rather than trying to cram in another for the sake of nostalgia, but if we are to get a second one I'd much rather it be anything but Kanto. I know I know, it's #Pokémon20, but honestly Kanto just doesn't hold a candle to the detail put into many of the newer regions - particularly Unova, since Kalos let us down a bit imo.

I don't really get the claims that this is Johto's spiritual successor. Besides the similar-ish legendary duo I haven't seem much in the way of evidence for this claim, and because I seriously doubt we'll be going to Johto either.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I'm going on the "Nah, we've seen Kanto too many times" bandwagon.

Honestly? The R/B/Y re-release on the DS e-shop was pretty much another recent trip to Kanto. So technically, we've been to Kanto more times than any other region to date! I really don't see what's there to do in Kanto that we haven't done five million times before. x.x

That being said, I can understand the apparent Kanto pandering with the Alola forms, but I still urge everyone to wait until next month to really see whether or not Alola forms are Kanto exclusive; that is, if we find out more information about what it does, etc.

I forgot about that! Honestly, I wouldn't mind going back to Kanto in the future as sort of a remake, but instead of remaking the games, just have it take place in Kanto 10 or more years in the future (Not replacing the main games though), that would be interesting to see, many Gym Leaders would probably have stepped down (like Blaine, maybe he has a son??), maybe Oak has retired, who knows?

I want Sun and Moon to just be Alola, the region looks fantastic and I really hope they don't sacrifice any of it to cram another region in. Maybe have a boat take us to famous places in other regions (PWT??????) and if S.S Anne actually does make an apperance, that would be a really neat rod to Kanto, but I don't want Kanto again just yet.

Also I'm willing to believe that they're just advertising the Kanto stuff for nostalgia's sake to urge people to buy the games, and then when we do have the games we will find Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova/Kalos Alola forms. I'm very happy with the current forms though.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    ^ I feel that if we see any other regions, I wan it to be indirect via other locations or as Kalos is France, maybe Vietnam. Not just Kalos. If anything else, I'd want Johto just because it would be amazing to explore my first region again in 3D, perhaps with newer things going on after GSC. But even then, it would just be nostalgic pandering.

Unless it's Sun2 and Moon2. Then fire away with as much as possible.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    UGH no let's not travel to Kalos or Kanto, any other region would be fine in my book :p

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm actually kinda curious: Why is the notion of traveling to past regions so popular generation after generation? If Game Freak wanted to, they could've easily made this a thing as early as Gen III, but region after region, we're not given the opportunity to travel to regions prior. Maybe I'm just cynical about this idea and Alola would be the exception to this (highly doubt it, but you never know, I guess), but I don't see this as likely to change. I feel like traveling to a past region is less of a matter of nostalgia and more of a matter of actual relevance and practicality. This meaning, if the region in question actually ties within the plot of the story in Sun & Moon, then it's likely we'll be traveling there by obligation at some point, but again, I don't see this as particularly likely.

I'm certain the idea's reason for popularity is twofold: one, is the nostalgia factor. There are fans of each region, and even the characters within these regions. Players will naturally want to be able to visit the locations that they enjoy. Two, is likely for the desire for a substantial post-game. With the fate of any sort of worthwhile post-game facility up in the air at this point, adding another region is another method of actually having something to do after you defeat the Champion and the credits roll. There doesn't even necessarily need to be a connection, plot-wise, for the travel to occur. Just have the player's mom say she bought some tickets to fly to [Region X] off of éBay and there you go. I feel travel to another region is such a popular request that most fans would not question if they were taken to a region where there were little to no plot ties. I'm reminded of how DPP & HGSS take place simultaneously and yet they both feature the exact same Battle Frontier--and no one I've seen has ever complained that it "doesn't make sense," likely because fans were just happy to have the Battle Frontier again. Or how in the PWT characters such as Bugsy should have visibly aged due to the passage of time between HGSS and B2W2 (just look at Caitlin!), but again, no one complained that the PWT "wasn't accurately depicting its NPCs" because fans were happy to have the PWT at all. But, with that being said, considering Game Freak could throw in such silliness as "alternate universes" as an excuse to keep the ORAS Delta Episode run-time longer, I'm sure they can come up with just about anything to connect two seemingly unrelated regions should they feel the need.

Back