• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kanto Starters!

Which Starter is best!?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2013
    Hey everyone! welcome to my first thread!!! I really don't have a lot to say but I've always wondered... which starter pokémon in Kanto is the best!

Charmander/Hitokage

Bulbasaur/Fushigidane

Squirtle/Zenigame​

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I always choose Squirtle. It doesn't get creamed by the first gym, it doesn't have all the type weaknesses associated with Grass, and it's just easier for me to use than the others.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    It of course depends on your preference. All have their strengths and weaknesses. I love all three types, but Charmander is my favorite of these. I also really like Bulbasaur, seems he can never get a break in these polls. All three have a great evolution chain.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Squirtle was my very first starter pokemon ever, so I feel obligated to vote for it even though all three are pretty nice. :P

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I'm gunna have to go with Hitokage. Why? Because Rizaadon is beastly. I love its attacks. XD And Flamethrower FTW. =P​

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    Well, when it comes down to advantage against most of the gym leaders, I'm gonna have to go with Bulbasaur. As it can easily defeat Brock and Misty towards the beginning, and is strong against most of Giovonni's Pokemon at the end. However, not a good match when facing Sabrina and Blaine.
    Squirtle is a good starter if you want to get through Brock easily, but Lt. Surge amd Erica are both strong against water types. (of course by then you have other pokemon.. lol but ya know.. ) But it's good to have squirtle against Blaine and Giovonni.
    Charmander.. well.. it's good against Erica. But I do believe in FireRed and LeafGreen he learns a steel-type move early on and it's helpful against Brock... ? I can't remember.
    Personally, my favorite starter is Charmander, but I think the game goes by a lot easier with Bulbasaur.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    If you are talking about pokemon R/B/Y, then Bulbasaur wins for the fact that he becomes Venusaur. To anyone ignorant of this fact, any pokemon that uses a high critical hit ratio move and has a base speed of at least 60 something will ALWAYS get a critical with said move. So Venusaur not only gets STAB razor leaf, but an always critical hit, not mentioning the fact that he has a plethora of status inflicting moves on his side.
    He still isn't that bad in-game when fighting trainers.
    Squirtle, I never really liked him. He never had much use except for walling, and other water pokemon like Lapras could do a much better job at that AND handing out a few blows as well.
    Charizard was good for a while, but he absolutely fell to the bottom when Stealth Rock was introduced in Wi-fi battles. That means he already has a 50% health handicap when switching in, and it especially sucks that the best choice(and possibly only good one) is bellyzard. That isn't mentioning how common moves like Surf and Rock Slide are, but I'll ignore that.
    Well, that's my two cents on this subject.

Years
    I'll say that Charmander is my favorite of the three [Squirtle being second and Bulbasaur being last], but I don't care for Charizard that much. In fact, I don't care for any of the final evolved forms of the Kanto starters; I just like the starters themselves.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    Charmander for me for sure! They have always been one of my favorites to use.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    This is the only generation where i like all three starters:
    Blubasaur is great pokemon it is easy to play the whole the game with him
    Squirtle Is also a great pokemon powerful and strong and he can beat the whole game easier
    Charmander HE is just awesome he can be beat he a little slow at the beginning but as soon as he evolves he kills it.

HiroUey

Pokemon Master of Masters!
    Years
    My favorite is m very first pokemon, Squirtle
    Charmander is second cause it took me a long while to get pass Brock
    Bulbasaur is last because im not a very good at training grass pokemon and everytime i tried to start with Bulbasaur, i was never able to win the first rival battle

Back