• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Koukan Talk

Would you actually utilise this tool or leave it alone?

• I'd use it

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • I'll just leave it

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
  • Well I did not expect it. But it is easy to understand it happening with Nintendo. Also the games B/W are supposed to be in America not Japan. But I think they just wanted a cool little feature to add into the game. Also I do watch the TV occasionaly.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • Well I did not expect it. But it is easy to understand it happening with Nintendo. Also the games B/W are supposed to be in America not Japan. But I think they just wanted a cool little feature to add into the game. Also I do watch the TV occasionaly.

Well, not America, it was just the first game to be based on an area outside of Japan, New York specifically.

Back on topic, I haven't noticed this, but the few times I looked at the TV it said things like "You've used struggle ZERO times! You can do it!", and other things that were also, zero, after that I stopped checking them.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I have never even noticed that! I think over all the years I've just learnt to dismiss everything on the Pokémon TVs as boring or obvious so while I'll check it the first couple times I see one, after that they become as boring as bookshelves for me.

But that's really neat.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I've watched a bit of TV, because I always do in Pokemon games, but it's always been Moves For Living or the Ability equivalent. Never seen Koukan Talk, though it sounds awesome. What was that again, 'Ichiban suki na Pokemon wa?' Awesome.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I like the Koukan Talk where they just talk entirely in Japanese because they don't realize they're on camera. That was the first one I saw and I was so confused.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • Haha yeah. I'm studying Japanese so this was really fun to read about. Funny how I already knew how say most of this stuff...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Generally, I leave Koukan talk alone, but it's still nice for learning Japanese every once in a while.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I had more or less given up on the TV shows after the first few hours of Pearl, but I started watching them again in White.

The one explaining how to use attacks in real life was quite fun, and the Japanese lessons are a really cool idea.

Years
  • I didn't know about this, but as long as it doesn't spawn more people who think they can speak Japanese because they can memorise a few sayings and put on a bad accent, I guess it's okay.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I have never even noticed that! I think over all the years I've just learnt to dismiss everything on the Pokémon TVs as boring or obvious so while I'll check it the first couple times I see one, after that they become as boring as bookshelves for me.

But that's really neat.

Yeah, same thing here really. I never bothered because everything they said would seem basic and not teach me anything new. Definitely pretty cool they added this stuff in though.

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
  • Ther pronounciation key is a bit off. For example, "suki" is pronounced "s'ki" and most will pronounce it "sookee" because of this.

Sorry, but I'm a purist.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Aha. I love this addition. I'm actually interested in learning Japanese, but never bothered, so this is a good start. I was actually surprised that they added this. I also love the other show where they tell you the Japanese names of Pokemon.

xiodinex

Experienced Trainer
    Years
  • i always watch the TV sets on the games :3
    they amuse me.

'cept the 3rd gen shows. they annoyed me.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Seeing as there isn't a thread on this neat little thing...

First of all, how many of us actually watch the TV sets in any of the Pokemon games? They generally serve no purpose. Ever. Well, in Pokemon Black and White, they now do. The television show "Koukan Talk" teaches basic Japanese phrases! In the spoiler below, I have provided a sample script cut from the game.

Spoiler:

Did you expect this of a Japanese game? Or is it that Pokemon/Game Freak are illustrating that the games are taking on a new face?

Discuss

Whoa...I wasn't expecting this at all, LOL. It's a nice step in the right direction, as opposed to videogame localizations that try to remove almost every reference to Japanese. And this is in a kid's game, no less. XD I guess it ties in with the rebirth concept a bit, sot that the rest of the world gets an insight on the actual origins of these games, rather than just being limited to a English or foreign-native-language-aside-from-Japan copy. The introduction to Japanese translations of typical conservational Pokemon phrases is a good start, IMO.

And I hope this means that non-prominent "kanji erasures" will stop occuring (I'm looking at you, 4Kids). I mean, it was like crucial for 4Kids to remove nearly every instance of Japanese characters in every episode, and here we are, where Game Freak acknowledges the existence of the Japanese origins in translated editions of the game. I'd like to see this feature expanded upon in future games, at least to get the fans more in touch with Japan...

I wonder what the Japanese editions of the games have in place of this feature? If it's the same, I would assume that it might feel a bit repetitive/trivial at times, such as the Teachy TV basics that were taught to veteran Trainers.

Aha. I love this addition. I'm actually interested in learning Japanese, but never bothered, so this is a good start. I was actually surprised that they added this. I also love the other show where they tell you the Japanese names of Pokemon.

Whoa...they even display the Japanese names of the Pokemon? That sounds very intriguing! :) Though it probably won't help in players who are still trying to transition from the Japanese names to English Pokemon names. XD Still, this new feature is interesting, nonetheless.

i always watch the TV sets on the games :3
    they amuse me.

'cept the 3rd gen shows. they annoyed me.

But there's hardly any shows in Generation 3 either, aside from Name Rater, Gabby and Ty, mixing Records, and completing important competitions... ;_;

Years
  • I went into these games completely and utterly cold. I had no knowledge of anything. TV this time was actually quite interesting with all the tidbits on new items, moves, and abilities. Also, it's good for looking at my own statistics (601 eggs. Thank you for telling me how much time I've wasted, TV). Sometimes I find myself just pressing the A button for five minutes; moreso than the previous iterations.

As for Koukan talk... I understood most of it and I'm not even studying the language. orz

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • When I discovered Koukan Talk, I got so excited. XDDD They taught very basic Japanese and you probably won't even use the phrases they taught, but it was really interesting to see. I didn't expect it at all, though. Normally, the Pokemon TV shows are really boring and lame. XD; Pokemon Black and White were really different in their TV shows, and I liked Koukan Talk especially. :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I was meant to post here that I went to see the TVs when I saw this thread and the channel seems interesting. I won't be using it, but at least it helps bring the english speaking countries and Japan closer. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back