• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Lack of Pokeballs?

What did you think about the fact only one pokeball was added for Gen V?

• I'm disappointed

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I don't care

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • I think it's cool

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    In B/W was anyone else dissapointed with the fact only one pokeball was added, the Dream Ball? I wanted more, and maybe it just shows Nintendo are running out of creativity.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • Ehh, I didn't mind it at all really. Sure, there were some awesome balls that were implemented in Generation III and IV, but I wasn't expecting any new ones to come on board. If I were, I would be pleasantly surprised, yep, but I myself wouldn't be disappointed if nothing new came. Maybe since I'm not that much of a ball connoisseur and just love chucking Poké and Primer Balls at everything. xD

I did like the Dream Ball's animation though. :3 One thing I did miss were Ball Seals though, seeing as we're on the subject of Poké Balls.

Years
  • I don't like the way you said "running out of creativity". Is the lack of Poke balls really enough to justify that statement with all the monstrous amount of features added?

But yeah, a ball that worked in doubles would've been nice, but what more else is there? A ball that makes X type easier to catch? A ball that makes Pokemon in X location easier to catch? That's real creative all right.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    I don't like the way you said "running out of creativity". Is the lack of Poke balls really enough to justify that statement with all the monstrous amount of features added?

But yeah, a ball that worked in doubles would've been nice, but what more else is there? A ball that makes X type easier to catch? A ball that makes Pokemon in X location easier to catch? That's real creative all right.

Sorry if i offended. What i mean to say is that new pokeballs were always cool, and with all the low catch rate pokemon in the new games (just look at the second half of the pokedex) maybe we could do with some boosts.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Theres already so many different types of Pokeballs, adding anymore would just be overkill and very confusing for those new to the Pokemon games. Maybe adding only one or two every Gen would be perfect from now on ^_^.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i miss the new pokeballs T_T i loved always trying to work with new ones i hadnt seen before

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Eh i couldn't care less. One thing i do miss is ball seals, they were so cool!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • In B/W was anyone else dissapointed with the fact only one pokeball was added, the Dream Ball? I wanted more, and maybe it just shows Nintendo are running out of creativity.

Bag_Dream_Ball_Sprite.png
    =
    Bag_Park_Ball_Sprite.png

I was majorly disappointed at the fact that only 1 Poke Ball was added in BW. Only one new Ball that essentially does the same thing as the Master and Park Balls, and it's PINK, arguably the most polarizing color of all. :x Why couldn't they just make it so that Park Balls catch the Dream World Pokemon rather than uninspired Dream Balls? I'd rather have my Pokemon decked out in a gold-and-silver Poke Ball than a purely pink one. At least you can choose to use the Love and Heal Balls (which are decidedly pink as well). You're essentially forced to use the Dream Ball in Entralink, and the only way to "change" the Poke Ball of Dream World Pokemon is to breed it so that the newborn with the Hidden Ability comes in a Poke Ball.

Honestly, either the Park Ball should have been brought back in usable form, or Trainers should have been allowed to select which Poke Ball the Dream World Pokemon are caught in.

In addition, BW made it worse when it not only introduced a failish and unnecessary Poke Ball clone, it removed 8 past variants (Apricorn & Compé Ball(s)) that had just received the good fortune to be reintroduced in the main series again in HGSS. If you're going to bother importing their sprites, you might as well make them available. I mean, all it would take is a random NPC selling them.

I did like the Dream Ball's animation though. :3 One thing I did miss were Ball Seals though, seeing as we're on the subject of Poké Balls.

I MISSED THOSE, TOO. T_T Seriously, those need to be brought back. I'd rather have Seals included, as minor as they are, over Pokemon Musicals screensavers any day of the week.

Theres already so many different types of Pokeballs, adding anymore would just be overkill and very confusing for those new to the Pokemon games. Maybe adding only one or two every Gen would be perfect from now on ^_^.

Yet we're up to 649 Pokemon...I think 'overkill' is essentially thrown out the window at this point. It became overkill when the Premier Ball (exactly the same as the Poke Ball; only difference is design and method obtained) and the Cherish Ball (partially redundant as they are restricted to event Pokemon when Classic Ribbons already prevent GTS trading) was introduced, anyway.

I'm sorry but I fail to see how it means they are running out of creativity. Unless you believe in the notion that more = better, adding any more would just be redundant.

It wouldn't be redundant if new catch rate modifiers were introduced. And they became redundant anyway with the dawn of Generation 2. At 1HP with a status problem, the majority of Pokemon can be caught with a 2x-modifying Ultra Ball.

I don't even use Poke Balls for the catch rates (most of the time) - the only time that occurs is when I need to catch a "fodder" Pokemon, in which case I chuck an Ultra Ball (and on rare occasions, Repeat Ball). I focus more on the designs of each Poke Ball. We already have 9 variants of the standard Poke Ball (Poke, Great, Ultra, Master, Safari, Premier, Compé/Sport, Park, Dream), where the only difference barring method of obtaining is the catch rate modifier - although some of them are restricted even more by (needless) location limitations. I'd actually be satisfied if we just got more "skins"/designs for Poke Balls.

One to four new Poke Balls introduced per Generation is adequate...though I don't know what other modifiers could be implemented, besides type-based (i.e, Net Ball), evolution-method-based (i.e, Moon Ball) and location-based (i.e., Dusk Ball) ones. Idk, maybe a set of five Poke Balls that, upon Pokemon capture, invest 75 EVs into a given/designated stat (i.e, an "Attack Ball", an "HP Ball"? This wouldn't even need to be explicitly mentioned in the flavor text.

Last edited:

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
  • I don't know of any new pokeball concepts that would add anything to the game. Plus the only ones worth using past the E4 is the ultra and timer balls. Why make more balls that won't be used anyway?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't mind, because I think the pokeballs we have right now are good enough tbh, do we really need a pokeball for every single situation? :(

(Though I do like that Dream Balls are 100% catch rate in entralink lol). :3

Also Fenyx, I don't think they're uninspired, I think the Dream Balls are creative. It was unexpected after all!

koji8123

PKMN Collector
    Years
  • At least the made it so it's 255 capture like the masterball.

It could be like 1.5(think greaterball) =/ and something dumb and unuseful like the Rock ball to capture Hard skinned pokemon.. because lets face it, Gamefreak does stupid things like that.

Nebuman1337

Nebu mean gold in egyptian.
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    I think that they should add a custom ball. you can pick the color and animation and stuff. it would be pretty cool.

Years
  • and it's PINK, arguably the most polarizing color of all. :x
    Heal Ball and Love Ball lovers, unite!

In addition, BW made it worse when it not only introduced a failish and unnecessary Poke Ball clone, it removed 8 past variants (Apricorn & Compé Ball(s)) that had just received the good fortune to be reintroduced in the main series again in HGSS. If you're going to bother importing their sprites, you might as well make them available. I mean, all it would take is a random NPC selling them.
    // reserved for future use

Premier Ball
    The Premier Ball highlights how the types of Pokéballs are remembered. It, along with the Luxury Ball, doesn't make catching the Pokémon any easier, but they are hard to get in mass quantities. (especially the Luxury Ball in R/S/E, where you could only get one outside of contests)

This means you have very few shots at getting those certain rare and elusive Pokémon caught in them. It's bragging rights, essentially. I have a shiny Palkia in a Premier Ball, and brag, I do.

I don't know what other modifiers could be implemented, besides type-based (i.e, Net Ball), evolution-method-based (i.e, Moon Ball) and location-based (i.e., Dusk Ball) ones. Idk, maybe a set of five Poke Balls that, upon Pokemon capture, invest 75 EVs into a given/designated stat (i.e, an "Attack Ball", an "HP Ball"? This wouldn't even need to be explicitly mentioned in the flavor text.
    Read any future generation speculation topic and you'll see all sorts of ideas.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Bag_Dream_Ball_Sprite.png
    =
    Bag_Park_Ball_Sprite.png

I was majorly disappointed at the fact that only 1 Poke Ball was added in BW. Only one new Ball that essentially does the same thing as the Master and Park Balls, and it's PINK, arguably the most polarizing color of all. :x Why couldn't they just make it so that Park Balls catch the Dream World Pokemon rather than uninspired Dream Balls? I'd rather have my Pokemon decked out in a gold-and-silver Poke Ball than a purely pink one. At least you can choose to use the Love and Heal Balls (which are decidedly pink as well). You're essentially forced to use the Dream Ball in Entralink, and the only way to "change" the Poke Ball of Dream World Pokemon is to breed it so that the newborn with the Hidden Ability comes in a Poke Ball.

Um. What? The first time I went to the Entralink, I didn't even notice that the Dream Ball was in the front of my bag. I used a Poke Ball. Every ball has a 100% catch rate in there...or at least, the dozens of Pokemon I've caught in there have only taken one Poke Ball to catch. I've never once used the Dream Ball, you're absolutely not forced to unless you don't have any other types to use. I think that's just because once you decide to add it to your team, they want to make sure that you have a ball to catch it with, so they give you a Dream Ball so even if you're entirely out of any other type you can still catch it.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • more pokeballs and it'd be way too much... I even thought the pokeballs added in gen III were ridiculously unnecessary. maybe I'm just viewing it in conservative way :\

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    They could have even implemented seasonal ones, seen as they brought those into it.

SORRY i meant seen as they brought seasons into it

SORRY i meant seen as they brought seasons into it

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I would've liked it if GF introduced new Poke Balls other than the Dream Balls. It also would've been nice if the Johto Apricorn balls were in B/W too.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well, there could be more kinds of Poké Balls available, but I'm fine with the current selection, as the specialty Balls from Gen III and IV are still of good use in the games. Besides, the Dream Ball gets more use when you use Dream World frequently.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I was a bit disappointed to begin with to only find the Dream Ball was the only new one but then again there are so many different kinds these days I shouldn't have expected so much to begin with. Though I do agree, they could have made some based on seasons. It also would've been nice to be able to get Kurt's Pokeballs as well.

Back